PDA

View Full Version : So I've worked out why the trailer blinkers don't work

P4trol
9th June 2013, 02:43 PM
So I rewired the trailer lights completely before Christmas. New led lights, wiring, plugs, everything. Looked the schizz too. In the interim of changing over the troll trailer plug to a large round one, I use an adapter. Long story short, I lent the original adapters to a friend, destined as some things are to never be seen again.

So I bought another one, and have been driving around for a while using it. Before driving off the other day I decided to do a quick check again, and found the blinkers not working on the trailer (but ok on P4trol's patrol) . No hazards either. I thought it was the GU 1 wiring, as it is getting on in age. So I did a bit of testing and have come to the conclusion it is the trailer adapter.

Here is the pic of the adapter where the trailer plugs in, pin 1 is in the 12 o'clock position and they count clockwise.

What do you reckon?

Yendor
9th June 2013, 08:30 PM
I'll say you have the wrong adaptor.

You have a 5 pin adaptor but I'm guessing your trailer has the 7 pin fitted?

You can change the indicator wires in your trailer plug....... .pin 2 yellow wire left indicator & pin 5 green wire right indicator and it will still work correctly when connected to your vehicle.

Or you need to buy the correct adaptor or change the plug on your current adaptor.

P4trol
9th June 2013, 09:11 PM
Hmm. I was thinking manufacturing defect. Pins 1 & 4 are physically missing.

Do they even make a 5 pin large round? Isn't the 7 pin the standard?

Yendor
9th June 2013, 09:17 PM
I haven't seen a large 5 pin in ages, you might not be able to purchase one anymore.

A 5 pin will connect to a 7 pin it just the indicator wires that are different between the two.

Narva still have them listed on their website

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/large-round

P4trol
10th June 2013, 12:30 AM
Hmmm. It's an adapter, but similar link, top right corner

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/large-round-adaptors

NP99
10th June 2013, 12:49 PM
I think the 7 pin flat is probably the most common today. Wish we had one standard and no need for adapters!

threedogs
10th June 2013, 01:35 PM
Flat pin suits the more modern style of cars these days, and as Yendor suggests probably an old 5 pin.
Wire it [trailer] as a 7 pin

Edit::::::: if you have a GU up the fuse to a 10amp as well

P4trol
10th June 2013, 05:05 PM
Well the type of plug actually depends on where you buy your car/trailer. Different states have different defacto preferences.

Threedogs, the trailer is already 7 pin, but the adapter is only 5. Here's a diagram.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/52.jpg

Jorden44
12th June 2013, 05:20 AM
Well the type of plug actually depends on where you buy your car/trailer. Different states have different defacto preferences.

Threedogs, the trailer is already 7 pin, but the adapter is only 5. Here's a diagram.

It is good way to give complete clarification. Back light has special connection in which you can make connection with trailer easily.
There are some sort of wiring system using for this purposes...