PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak at the Pressure Side of Turbo

Remmy
8th June 2013, 07:30 PM
Hi All

Yesterday I was setting up my needle valve and noticed a fresh oil stain on the turbo. The oil leak is on the pressure side of the turbo where the rubber hose comes out the top of the turbo and connects to the metal pipes to the IC. See below.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/jasta70/IMAG0625.jpg

I have a catch can and it seems to be working and its not blowing any smoke but has used about 2lt of oil in 1700ks.

Any thoughts or an exploded picture of a ZD30 turbo would be great.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Remmy

MudRunnerTD
8th June 2013, 07:34 PM
First thing would be to tighten the hose clamp mate or replace the hose if it has got old and started to break down.

It does not look like a 2lt leak though mate.

Check all is tight

nissannewby
8th June 2013, 07:37 PM
First thing would be to tighten the hose clamp mate or replace the hose if it has got old and started to break down.

It does not look like a 2lt leak though mate.

Check all is tight

No but 2L in 1700 is excessive. I would getting that turbo checked out mate. Has anyone commented on it blowing smoke when following you?

Remmy
8th June 2013, 07:40 PM
No smoke or anything that has been noticed and the wife was behind me yesterday. Are there any oil galleries or ports with seals on that side of the turbo?

nissannewby
8th June 2013, 07:47 PM
There are seals to prevent oil getting from the bearings into the housings. But at 2L per 1700 you should be seeing a blue tinge in exhaust smoke or atleast a noticeable oil leak.

Remmy
8th June 2013, 07:52 PM
Come to think of it I did notice it was a light blue smoke after it sat for a week... Better get it to the car doctor.

There are seals to prevent oil getting from the bearings into the housings. But at 2L per 1700 you should be seeing a blue tinge in exhaust smoke or at least a noticeable oil leak.

nissannewby
8th June 2013, 07:56 PM
Can you give us some details on the vehicle? It's more likely that its the turbo with the oil residue you have but if it turns out to not be that get a compression check as well.

Remmy
8th June 2013, 08:02 PM
01 with a rebuilt motor about 10.000k ago, full NADS, Auto.. Thats about all I know as I haven't had it that long.

nissannewby
8th June 2013, 08:20 PM
How do you drive it?

Remmy
8th June 2013, 08:21 PM
Like I'm driving Miss Daisy..

nissannewby
8th June 2013, 08:27 PM
Give it some berries for a tank get some load onto an see how your oil consumption goes.

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 11:27 AM
Should add, I had 100 things going through my head last night, probably get the turbo checked first before giving it a hard run. The oil consumption could be due to improper run in and the rings haven't bedded in.