View Full Version : Diff locker for 2009 GU patrol

tvanoost4
8th June 2013, 06:55 PM
Hi guys, I am an old mechanic helping my nephew to fit an ARD diff locker to his Patrol. I have the crown wheel and bearings attached, measured orihinl backlash and just need the torque settingd for the crownwheel and bearing caps. Can anyone help please???

MudRunnerTD
8th June 2013, 07:26 PM
Hi mate I have had a bit of a look through the manual for you but not quite sure what your after. Here is a couple of screen shots for you that might answer your question. I could not find anything on the screw caps other than Tighten them! I think I read they self tighten too?

Anyway have a look at these, you should be able to zoom in on them too mate

Hope that helps mate. Tell your son to sign up and say g'day mate.

Cheers MR

Timmo
9th June 2013, 10:36 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum, please enjoy.

MEGOMONSTER
11th June 2013, 07:41 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

threedogs
11th June 2013, 07:46 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.

healy
11th June 2013, 11:27 PM
Welcome to the forum

MudRunnerTD
12th June 2013, 12:02 AM
Yeah Nah!!! Your Farken Welcome mate!!

Join with a single post asking for help and dont BOTHER to come back for the answer or a Thank you. No Probs mate, I only took 30 minutes of my day to find the info above and organise the pages to be hosted here..

No Dramas mate!!

RANT OVER!

BigRAWesty
12th June 2013, 12:37 AM

Join with a single post asking for help and dont BOTHER to come back for the answer or a Thank you. No Probs mate, I only took 30 minutes of my day to find the info above and organise the pages to be hosted here..

No Dramas mate!!

RANT OVER!

You tried.. but yea, not even a thanks

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

JoeG
12th June 2013, 02:05 AM
Hi Mudrunner
Just about to change my 2010 (4.1) diffs over for (4.6's) so i can run 285's and start on hills (in high range).
So thanks for the screen shots as it helps me ( cos i'm sort of lazy) and it's real nice when the info just jumps up in front of me.
Resd the forumevery day during breakfast to see what's up.
So thsnk's again
Joe

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Woof
12th June 2013, 02:11 AM
That sucks Darren, I know what I would do with him mate

MudRunnerTD
12th June 2013, 09:44 AM
Hi Mudrunner
Just about to change my 2010 (4.1) diffs over for (4.6's) so i can run 285's and start on hills (in high range).
So thanks for the screen shots as it helps me ( cos i'm sort of lazy) and it's real nice when the info just jumps up in front of me.
Resd the forumevery day during breakfast to see what's up.
So thsnk's again
Joe

Cheers Joe,

Mate I run 3.9 diffs in my GUIV and have no trouble turning 285s? In fact I have a set of 315s that I have run. Few times in the high country on the GUIV too without real trouble.

I am surprised that you need 4.6s in your GU8 to turn 285s have you fitted them yet ?

JoeG
12th June 2013, 04:55 PM
No not fitted yet, however my streached dual cab chassis is 3.6 t loaded and 2.7t bare so need to raise diff ratio to do hill starts all the time.
I will then probably go for 305's for trips and stay with 285's for around town and on the farm. as with the 950mm wheel base streach need taller tyres to avoid hang ups

bipbip
12th June 2013, 05:09 PM
welcome to the forum mate!

JoeG
5th March 2014, 09:32 AM
Fitted up the 4.6 diff and what a difference it makes
I can now hill start and crawl in reverse!
Fuel consumtion just a bit better and cruise at 95 (by gps) with 2500 rpm so all in all a great improvement.
Joe

threedogs
5th March 2014, 11:58 AM
Not sure what stock diff ratios are in my 04 3lt auto but I have no problem running 285s and 305s.
Cruising @ 100kph mine sits on 2100, thinking 2500rpm appears high if looking for frugal fuel figures.
I have a friend with an extended dualcab GU I'll see what diff ratio he uses, ATM all I know is he runs 285s
Edit::: Just received an answer from my mate and he says he is running STD diff ratios, and this GU goes everywhere,
by that I mean world wide, with no issues

Even with 315s your ramp over would only increase about 25mm if that, its the down side from owning a stretched GU

BigRAWesty
5th March 2014, 01:44 PM
Fitted up the 4.6 diff and what a difference it makes
I can now hill start and crawl in reverse!
Fuel consumtion just a bit better and cruise at 95 (by gps) with 2500 rpm so all in all a great improvement.
Joe

Thanks for dropping in and giving some feed back..
Are those figures with the bigger tyres??

my third 256
6th March 2014, 06:42 AM

No Dramas mate!!

RANT OVER!
i know its an oldy post and to solve the issue i dont give info on introductions
let them post in the right area

JoeG
6th March 2014, 12:52 PM
G/day westy
Some info
I purchased my 2010 WDX new then sent it for the cut stretch and tray and then picked it up as is now it weighs 2.7T bare and usually carries up to 180 l fuel and 85 l water (even then still needs h4 for our gravel track and L4 for our drive when bare
when fitted with the camper it is 3.35T bare plus 2 adults fuel, water and food brings it up to slightly over the 3.65 GVM so I have air bags on the rear to level it out (run 15 to 20 psi in the bags with camper on)
the 2 big issues we had were poor brakes with camper (fitted up 4.8 discs and calipers - thanks nisbitts)
and not able to take of at traffic lights on steep hills in H2
so fitted up the 4.625 diffs to replace the 4.1111's
The front has a LOKKA and the rear has a shim added
The result after a 5,500 km trip to Tassie and back is out standing able to crawl at 3km/hr (GPS) in reverse and never feeling like running out of power on steep climbs
(we were in the Vic high county last Jan and were struggling to get over the erosion control humps on some track in 4L 1st on the old diffs)
on the highway we now cruise at 95 km/hr @ 2500 rpm on the 285/75/16's and get around 14 l/100 (not able to get below 15 l/100 on the 4.111 diffs)
so I can relax and drive in cruise and watch the scan gauge and cruise below 60% LOD and keep it below 85% LOD on climbs with few gear changes
I was told that all new Patrols had 4.3 Diffs but ours for some strange reason had the 4.111's (Probly could have saved the diff change had we been fitted with the 4.3 diffs)
Hope the above is some help
Regards
Joe