PDA

View Full Version : new to this and fumbling through.

jparker
28th December 2010, 02:10 PM
Hi am new on this. Owner of a 92 GQ patrol with leaking rear seals. Trying to get a manual for this particular problem. Not a great mechanic so it needs to be pretty specific.

YNOT
28th December 2010, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Which rear seals are you having problems with?

Tony

Edit, just found your other post, it's your axle seals.

wildgu6
28th December 2010, 03:33 PM
Welcome to Trol town Jp,
Good to see you on board the best forum around, and that it is.
Heaps of handy information,
Great bunch of people with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable..

Good luck, Welcome aboard and Enjoy the ride.
Hope you and the family are having a safe & merry xmas.

Cheers Pete

jparker
28th December 2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks Pete. Already finding lots of help here.

NissanGQ4.2
28th December 2010, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Great bunch of guys n girls on here always willing 2 help out where they can

Can you drop past the members map thread located here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1006-NissanPatrol.com.au-Members-Map) when you get a chance n post ur location in Perth

Cheers

Todd

jparker
28th December 2010, 04:11 PM
Cool. Thanks Todd.

Jane Brook. W.A.

Thanks Jeff

Dhuck
28th December 2010, 06:00 PM
Welcome mate. Hope that not just Tony can help you out. We will all pitch in some way or another. Good luck mate. But as Tony has stated, it sounds more like a break issue rather than a diff leak issue.

Col.T
28th December 2010, 07:07 PM
Parky
Not a mechanic but serviced an '89GQ for 15 years and 400K. before I recently bought a 2008 GU. Both rear wheel bearings went over that time. One was showing an oil leak (if I remember, down the outside of the wheel from the hub) whilst the other simply collapsed with a great screaming siezure as we were leaving Wentworth with the van on the back. Bummer!. In both cases I figured it was simply easier to get them done rather than buying a press which probably wouldn't get used again.
Wheel off first, brake drum off second (can be a bit of a test if it hasn't been regularly serviced/cleaned, give us a call if you can't make it) and you should be able to determine if the brake is your problem. Hot smell, as the boys say, is a good chance of a brake prob., but if the brake is clean, good for pad thickness and not binding, I reckon you're heading for a new sealed bearing.
I didn't do both when my first one went and got at least 150K before the second. Think the guy I bought it from launched a boat in salt water and maybe the term 'sealed' isn't quite 100% accurate.
Anyway mate, you'll get better advice from 'Y' and others so good luck
Col

YNOT
28th December 2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks Col.

There are really only 2 things in that area that can generate enough heat to do what has been described. The first is brakes, but in post 13 you noted the smoke seemed to be coming from the hub not the brakes.
The second thing that can generate heat as Col suggests is worn out wheel bearings.

Tony

jparker
28th December 2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the input. Let you know how i go.

Jeff

jparker
28th December 2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks Col.T

See how i go. I think it may be bearing. Guess i will find out soon.

NissanGQ4.2
28th December 2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks Tony.
Not able to open the photo until i have 25 posts so i will get it later. Appreciate your help on this.

you can view photo's before you have your 25 posts, I shall PM admin ( AB ), but I'm not sure if he is around or not.

Cheers Todd

jparker
28th December 2010, 07:27 PM
Cool. Got it. Thanks Todd

DX grunt
28th December 2010, 07:45 PM
G'day Jeff.

We welcome another Sandgroper to the forum with open arms. :icon_victory: lol.

There's another well known forum in WA called the Western Patrol Club.

Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge to help you, but the guys on the WPC forum will probably be able to help too.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Edit: I think you've set another record bro. You've managed to rack up 3 pages in 4 hrs. Well done.

Woof
28th December 2010, 07:53 PM
Welcome Jeff, enjoy the forum mate

patch697
28th December 2010, 10:37 PM
Welcome on board mate & I hope you enjoy the forum.

jparker
28th December 2010, 11:16 PM
Cool. I will look into it. Thanks Ross.

jparker
28th December 2010, 11:22 PM
Hey thanks mate

jparker
28th December 2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks Patch697. Lots of info here.

YNOT
28th December 2010, 11:29 PM
Just a tip for you Jeff, the 4 posts above would make a bit more sense to other members if you had clicked on "reply with quote" instead of just "reply".
Only 2 more posts to get access to manuals.

Tony

MQ MAD
29th December 2010, 09:38 AM
Welcome aboard

Just a quick question for the mods here
Should the intro area be just for intro
Any other points of interest be in another thread

Just on this topic
IF its rear brakes leak of sorts on to the brakes it will cause them to stick together causing the smoke
Does this perticular rear wheel lock up /grab quicker than another
Excess heat will be dispursed threw the rim,try touching the rim after a drive ,if its hot as hell its more than likely the brakes
I highly doubt bearings would generate that much heat,if the bearings got that hot ,the bearing race will be absolutely stuffed,a shace on a rim will determine a buggered bearing
If the bearing were to get that hot,youd have to replace the axle as the end of the axle would be buggered

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2010, 10:16 AM

Not that i,m a mod, but yes intro thread should be just for that, and any questions posted under the correct thread.
Not all members visit the intro thread so the question may get missed by a member that possible could answer the question.

YNOT
29th December 2010, 02:46 PM

You and Todd are both right, it was laziness on my part not starting a thread in mechanical and moving the posts there.
It's done now and can be found here; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2134-Need-help-with-rear-axle

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2010, 03:01 PM
Your not lazy Tony, Your a huge help 2 all of us, Thankyou :)

jparker
29th December 2010, 03:11 PM
My appologies. Did not realise i was in wrong area. As i said, i am new to this.

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2010, 03:23 PM
My appologies. Did not realise i was in wrong area. As i said, i am new to this.

1 more post and the manuals are yours :) You were not really in the wrong area. Intros are for new members 2 introduce themselves into the community. Question go into different categories / threads to make it easier for other members to find :)

YNOT
29th December 2010, 04:03 PM

No problems Jeff.

Tony

Finly Owner
30th December 2010, 12:25 AM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Jeff

Tim