PDA

View Full Version : 3 Litre CRD Heat Shield on Dump Pipe

happygu
7th June 2013, 01:02 AM
OK - First time novice taking the heat shield off the dump pipe......

Any tips or tricks as I have the dual air conditioning paperwork too? :o

Mic

kevin07
7th June 2013, 01:28 AM
get a thick blanket to put on top of the motor jump on and go for it make sure you use hex sockets (six sides) or you will round off 1 or more of them just for the record why are you doing this

Drew
7th June 2013, 06:16 AM
Pay someone to do it ;)

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

happygu
7th June 2013, 10:29 AM
get a thick blanket to put on top of the motor jump on and go for it make sure you use hex sockets (six sides) or you will round off 1 or more of them just for the record why are you doing this

I am installing the 2.75" Beaudesert Exhaust System...... and I am trying to avoid the four hours of frustration trying to get the heat shield off....

meh
7th June 2013, 12:47 PM
If you twist it the right way it will come out. I had more trouble getting the thing back on. There was a guide I found on the net somewhere, might have been this forum on the way to be do it

Drew
7th June 2013, 02:12 PM
I tried for an hour and 4 grazed knuckles & spat it and got paid an exhaust place to take it off but for an extra 50 he did the lot

He said the heat shield was the hardest/ took the longest but with the right bit of kit didn't take too long. I spose he had some "special" tools:)

threedogs
7th June 2013, 02:16 PM
After you stop the bleeding this may help. lol

Drew
7th June 2013, 03:14 PM

Oooooo is that the special tool? Looks like I'd need to do a course to use it lol
Tbh I don't know if there'd be enough room to use it on all the bolts

happygu
7th June 2013, 05:55 PM
Bonnet is lifted - waiting for it to cool down, and we will see how it goes.....

happygu
7th June 2013, 05:56 PM

TD,

Do they really work or is it a bit of a gimmick..

Mic

happygu
7th June 2013, 10:01 PM
That wasn't too hard - heat shield off, old dump pipe off, new dump pipe on.....

Mic

happygu
8th June 2013, 09:00 AM
For anyone contemplating removing the heat shield, it is a little counter intuitive in how to remove it, but you need to lift it at the front a little, whilst pushing it backwards, and then rotating it down the back corner of the block. Once you have pushed it back, rotated, and have it nearly vertical, you then twist it around, so it is flat with the motor ( like a semi-circle I guess, due to the shape of the housing ), and then bring it forwards, whilst rotating it a little back to the turbo, and it pops right out.

On the CRD there is one bolt at the rear on the top directly underneath the rubber water hose, which does not need to be removed, as it is only on the cover itself and doesn't hold anything else. There are two bolt right in close to the block that need to be undone, one behind the bolt at the rear, and one at the front below another water hose, of which you will need to undo the bolt out of the clamp and move it to the side to get your socket in. The other bolts you can see easily.

I undid the three bolts that hold the actuator, so it was floating, and I was able to move it out of the way slightly. I left the clip and rod attached to the Turbo itself.

WORD OF WARNING - the bolt closest to the block at the back of the actuator is really hard to remove and get back in, so if you can leave the actuator attached it will save a heap of trouble. You may not be able to do this the first time, as the heat shield is still full size with sharp burrs and corners.

I trimmed the front edges behind the Turbo Actuator by rounding off the corners, trimmed the rear doing the same, and be-burred it all, and then I had it in and out in seconds.

I hope that this helps.

Mic

threedogs
8th June 2013, 09:12 AM
Got ya , spend $50 and get exhaust guy to do.
Sounded like page 89 of the Karma Sutra , bend,twist,rotate, lift WT

happygu
8th June 2013, 09:21 AM
TD,

I was a little like that at first, and I can see why people get frustrated and want to throw things around.....it is just super tight, especially with the dual air conditioning pipes.

I did a search and found snippets of information that really helped, even the stuff where people have said stuff like 'I have been at it for 4 hours - went and grabbed a drink, come back and it just popped out'

The more you struggle with it, the worse it gets....

I guess you are right, for $50 let someone else do it, but on the other hand, with a little bit a patience, the right tools and knowledge, it was out and no blood was spilt on the heat shield removal.... :)

teno45
8th June 2013, 09:51 AM
Ordered my exhaust a few days ago. Should be here in a week or so.... this is the only part im not looking forward too...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hodge
8th June 2013, 01:38 PM
Good informative post happy. I'm about to park with some $$$ towards Beaudesert too within a few weeks and will do this my self me thinks. Other than this heat shield, everything else is bolt off / bolt on type of action ??

happygu
8th June 2013, 02:02 PM
Good informative post happy. I'm about to park with some $$$ towards Beaudesert too within a few weeks and will do this my self me thinks. Other than this heat shield, everything else is bolt off / bolt on type of action ??

Yes it is...it is all flanged - all gaskets, brackets and bolts come in the kit, along with a nipple in the dump pipe for a temp gauge.

I must say, I am really impressed by the Beaudesert Exhaust, as the attention to detail in packaging was excellent ( everything was individually bubble wrapped and then put in a large cardboard box, instructions are OK ( Could be improved with a pictorial type diagram showing the components and brackets ), and the quality of the product is second to none....

And the difference.... wow .... wow ... wow ... low end is vastly improved and I haven't been on the highway yet, but at this stage I don't care, as the car now feels like it did off the showroom floor, with no bits on it, and the standard tyres .... that is quite a substantial difference ( and I don't normally get carried away )

Hodge
8th June 2013, 02:10 PM
Awesome. Really looking forward to getting my one. And I have to agree with the Beaudesert service. I bought a 2 & 3/4 for my 2.5 Navara just under a year ago and it arrived within 4 days and each piece was packed as if it was fragile glass lol. Even though they sent my a wrong dump pipe, they instantly express flew down a part the very next day. Very impressed with their service.
And yeah performance was great too on the nav so will be interesting to see how it goes on this 3L pat. Can't wait.

happygu
8th June 2013, 02:13 PM
This is the other handy thing I bought to help get the bolts undone

This works fantastically well, and helped me no end.

Mic

happygu
9th June 2013, 04:40 PM
Update day two of running around and a bit of freeway running to get to the airport......

Still just as good as it was yesterday, and freeway running is great, with a bit more urge for overtaking at speed.

Mic

tonkatuffrosie
22nd June 2013, 10:08 AM
Before i read this thread, i spent near 30+ minutes trying to get that bolt off thats under the heater hoses, its like a game of tetris trying to get some of these part both in and out

happygu
22nd June 2013, 10:10 AM
Before i read this thread, i spent near 30+ minutes trying to get that bolt off thats under the heater hoses, its like a game of tetris trying to get some of these part both in and out

Same ... same .... I laughed when I finally realized that the heat shield was loose but the bolt was still there.