PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GU Patrol maximum boost with upgraded intercooler?

Wtf_mate_lol
6th June 2013, 09:51 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum and I have found this forum very helpful XD. I have a few things i'm curious about though. Sorry if any of these questions are on other threads, I have searched and can't find much info on these though??

I have a ZD30 with about 275,000 on the clock. I have recently had a Roo Systems chip and 3" SS exhaust upgrade and an upgraded tig welded Taipan XP intercooler installed. I have the car booked in next week for installation of the boost and pyro guages oil catch can and boost controller attachment to intercooler.

1. The Roo Systems chip is dial is set on about 5 with a maximum setting of 9 (i think) does winding it up pose any issues?

2. What is the Maximum recommended boost that i should have?? (I've read around 16psi, but can't find anything about boost with intercooler upgrade)

Thanks,
Dwayne

MudRunnerTD
6th June 2013, 10:17 PM
Hi mate, I am not a ZD30 man at all but I'd be very very weary about pushing a 2000 zd30 with 275,000kms

How long have you owned the car? Any history on the motor? Is it the original?

Search"NADS" here

mudski
6th June 2013, 10:48 PM
You can only go so far with boost levels before you hit limp mode. So with a bigger and better IC you may have slightly higher boost levels but you will only get so far anyway. You may need to lower the boost level via the Dawes valve as you may experience limp mode.

Wtf_mate_lol
6th June 2013, 10:52 PM
I have owned the vehicle for about 2 and a half years and yes it is still the original motor. Hasn't missed a beat so far :)

heyhey_guess_who
7th June 2013, 12:14 PM
It doesn't matter about the upgraded intercooler, you still need the AFRs to be ok. Now that you've upgraded the intercooler, you're (hopefully) cooling the air more and making it more dense for a given pressure, this means you're getting more air into the cylinder for the same pressure. I wouldn't worry about taking it anywhere over 18PSI if you're able to adjust it, better yet, if you can get the chip tuned, do so professionally on a dyno. I upgraded my DI intercooler to a Cross Country unit, it only lowered EGTs and improve fuel economy.

Sir Roofy
7th June 2013, 02:39 PM
i have owned the vehicle for about 2 and a half years and yes it is still the original motor. Hasn't missed a beat so far :)

i think you maybe trying to hard with the z30, i have one as well and run a 2.5 pipe with nads done no chip i think there a waste of money on the z3o motor i run my boost at 10psi it spikes at 12psi exh temp runs at 230 to 350 degrees c maybe a bit higher on a long
grade.very happy with it you start trying to run at 18 psi ithink you,l be heading for trouble mine went into limp mode at 16psi
thats my 2cs worth hope im proven wrong

threedogs
7th June 2013, 04:12 PM
Firstly you're not gunna turn the ZD30 into a rocket.

second 16 psi is heaps IMO thats if no limp mode encountered.

Get it Dynoed for max efficiency

Turning up chip usually just gives more fuel which makes more black smoke
and EGTs to rise.

My chip is set at 5 my boost is 15 max and not much beats me off the lights

plus I get 12.8/100 k around town

geoff77
7th June 2013, 08:55 PM
thanks for the info gents, was thinking about getting a chip in my 2002 3l GU, will go with a 2 3/4 exhaust instead. Think about a fuel lift pump instead.

Wtf_mate_lol
10th June 2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone. I would be interested to see what boost I'm running once gauge is fitted. I'll be sure too keep the chip where it is set and I'll go to a dyno mob to allow for tuning. By the looks of this I won't be boosting above 16psi. And I have an Egr blanking plate on it way thanks again everyone for the info.

SupRob
11th June 2013, 04:09 PM
ZD30 with 400,000km on the clock, max 18psi at 4,000 rev's =[] I push it hard :P

mudski
11th June 2013, 07:21 PM
You won't get 18psi for a start. The ECU cut is at 16psi.

boots
11th June 2013, 10:38 PM
These are all hit and miss these figures thrown around about this , but this is the main problem , not to many are similar or same . I was horrified when the boost / egr gauges were fitted up on mine . Very irratic pressure spikes from zero to thirty . Some hit limp and some dont . So once you have your gauges installed , fit egr block and fit dawes valve - full manual control , not ecu control and no more spikes or zero psi when you hit a hill when it should be more . 15psi max works for most .

Wtf_mate_lol
22nd June 2013, 04:07 PM
Haha yea I don't really take mine over 3500 normally 3000 rpm. I've seen a maximum of 14.5 psi so far but haven't taken it on sand. Still have to get it tuned. Don't suppose anyone has a custom tuned chip that they've tweaked up and down to see what happens? Mine is still set on 5-10. Everwhere I read just says it causes more soot???