PDA

View Full Version : ? water in rear diff

ben 4.2td
5th June 2013, 04:13 PM
I went on the 4wd track at Montezuma falls in Tas. on the weekend, awesome track, did a river crossing for about 75 metres deepest part over top of wheels, and had to stop in middle of river for about a minute due to 4wd in front got stuck. When I got home and cleaned the 4wd, noticed rear diff breather, top connection was disconnected and hanging at level of diff. (Should of checked before I went on the trip), I have checked diff oil from filler hole and oil looks thick honey coloured which I think is normal. I was wondering if I should still change the diff oil?

gaddy
5th June 2013, 04:25 PM
I would to be sure , oils cheap compared to a diff

Steve

mudnut
5th June 2013, 04:26 PM
I personally would change the oil. Better than the expense of a new diff. I have also extended all of my Old Trol's breathers to the top of the passenger side firewall.

AB
5th June 2013, 04:27 PM
Let the car sit for a while and very carefully and very slowly undo the drain plug with a clear cup underneath it.

Water is heavier than oil so if there's contamination you'll see it straight away. After you crack it unscrew it by hand very slowly and you'll be able to let out a tiny bit of liquid into the cup to check out and quickly screw it back on without needing to completely undo the plug and drain it all just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

threedogs
5th June 2013, 04:51 PM
Sounds like and awesome track, hopefully and oil change is all thats needed.
Maybe use teflon hose and push in air fittings,

happygu
5th June 2013, 05:58 PM
I went on the 4wd track at Montezuma falls in Tas. on the weekend, awesome track, did a river crossing for about 75 metres deepest part over top of wheels, and had to stop in middle of river for about a minute due to 4wd in front got stuck. When I got home and cleaned the 4wd, noticed rear diff breather, top connection was disconnected and hanging at level of diff. (Should of checked before I went on the trip), I have checked diff oil from filler hole and oil looks thick honey coloured which I think is normal. I was wondering if I should still change the diff oil?

Hi Ben,

Nice little trip into Montezuma Falls - although I wish it was longer.....glad you enjoyed it......I was on my lonesome, last thing in the evening with fading light approaching, and was a little nervous about being stuck for hours, but managed to plow on through OK.

Great swing bridge too.

Mic

ben 4.2td
5th June 2013, 07:20 PM
I think I will just replace the diff oil, as can not remember when last changed, and I might as well do the front as well. Have no idea how tubing became dislodged in the first place, most likely a stick. I recommend the Montezuma track, especially the 2nd track out that crosses the river, rate as a hard track. A few of the other guys got damage on their vehicles but I was luck just minor scratches from scrub.

Morton
5th June 2013, 08:21 PM
when changing diff oils, remember to crack the filler nut before you crack & remove the drain plug, don't want to empty diff out then find you can remove the filler nut, has happened before, my 2c worth

ben 4.2td
5th June 2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks for that, I read that on another thread. They also recommended limslip hypoid 85w 140 diff oil so will try and find that type tomorrow, as well as getting a new socket wrench, those filler nuts are hard nuts to crack lol

Hodge
5th June 2013, 09:04 PM
Once you crack the filler plug and undo the bottom plug, water (if any) should come out quicker and more freely than the rest of the oil. Easy way to find out if water is in there.

AB
5th June 2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks for that, I read that on another thread. They also recommended limslip hypoid 85w 140 diff oil so will try and find that type tomorrow, as well as getting a new socket wrench, those filler nuts are hard nuts to crack lol

DIFF OIL; front - 90w hypoid rated gear oil. Rear - 85w140 limited slip hypoid gear oil.

Here's the bible too mate, have a good read of it....
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1587-What-to-keep-my-eye-on-Preventative-Maintenance

NP99
5th June 2013, 09:19 PM
Also look at using thread tape on the nuts when you refit.