PDA

View Full Version : Reports on the common rail Patrol

bluedogs
5th June 2013, 02:13 PM
I'm looking around for a new 4x4. My old 2001 3ltr patrol died last week when a piston blew. I've been told the new common rail diesels are a whole new motor and are having no problems {by the local nissan service manager}. I met a fellow patrol owner 12 months ago who told me there was a flat spot in the acceleration around 90kph. Has anybody out there had any problems with the current patrol. We love the way the patrol is set up for touring and don't want to change brands but after a string of expensive repairs over the years we are nervious about what to buy.

MudRunnerTD
5th June 2013, 02:52 PM
Hi mate, head over to the introduction section and post an intro about yourself.

you should consider putting in a TD42 into your blown car? or an LS2

Where abouts are you located?

NT09ST
5th June 2013, 03:03 PM
Ive had a 09 3L for 9 months now, im pretty happy with it, bit thirsy though. Only got 75k on the clock so cant comment on longevity though.

SupRob
5th June 2013, 03:08 PM
Hey mate, Iv got a 2001 zd30 with 390000kms on it and its been great, i thrash it abit =]

More or less nissan is cheap and didnt make it reliable, there are heaps of mod's you can do to them to make them reliable.

Boost / EGT Gauge, catch can, thicker radiator/intercooler, dawes valve, needle valve, EGT Block, snorkel, etc

And keep on top of servicing!

Rob,

Beni C
5th June 2013, 03:10 PM
I have an 08 CRD auto, have owned for a whole 5 weeks!! Pretty happy with it so far, dunno about that flat spot though, mine seems fine.

TPC
5th June 2013, 03:16 PM
I have a 08 CRD Manual and have not noticed a flat spot in the acceleration.

happygu
5th June 2013, 06:02 PM
Bluedogs,

I am on my second one, with no faults with either....smooth running, and great economy on both of mine.

First one was traded just under 100K, and the second one is around 40K, so no massive miles yet, but my previous Di is still with the owner after me, and is now starting to clock up serious K's.

No hesitations in buying another one here, although with the work put into this one, I'll have to keep it for a long while.

Mic

happygu
5th June 2013, 06:03 PM
I'm looking around for a new 4x4. My old 2001 3ltr patrol died last week when a piston blew. I've been told the new common rail diesels are a whole new motor and are having no problems {by the local nissan service manager}. I met a fellow patrol owner 12 months ago who told me there was a flat spot in the acceleration around 90kph. Has anybody out there had any problems with the current patrol. We love the way the patrol is set up for touring and don't want to change brands but after a string of expensive repairs over the years we are nervious about what to buy.

There is probably a flat spot at 90, when you have it in fifth, and are going up a hill.... ;)

Mic

Hodge
5th June 2013, 06:05 PM
Welcome aboard bluedogs.
Have had mine for just 2 weeks now and I'm very happy with it. 45k on clock so cannot comment on the longevity or reliability of it. But the power it has is great! I was a bit worried about the power side of things as it's a heavy car with only a 3L as it's main heart. But this thing goes great!!

bluedogs
6th June 2013, 09:17 AM
Hi mate, head over to the introduction section and post an intro about yourself.

you should consider putting in a TD42 into your blown car? or an LS2

Where abouts are you located?

I'm new to this site and not sure how to reply to everybody so I hope this goes to all who posted replies.
I had a $10,000.00 quote to repair the Patrol motor which is more than it is worth as a trade in.
Having had 5th gear replaced at 110,000Kms, the "buffer mechanism??" between the gear box and motor replaced at 160,000kms plus various other failures I'm hoping the new 2013 patrol has overcome these faults.

MudRunnerTD
6th June 2013, 09:37 AM
I'm new to this site and not sure how to reply to everybody so I hope this goes to all who posted replies.
I had a $10,000.00 quote to repair the Patrol motor which is more than it is worth as a trade in.
Having had 5th gear replaced at 110,000Kms, the "buffer mechanism??" between the gear box and motor replaced at 160,000kms plus various other failures I'm hoping the new 2013 patrol has overcome these faults.

Are you looking at the Y61 (current shape GU) or the new Y62 with the 5.6 V8?

If you are going new then i cant comment on the old one as you junking it. how much tradein are they offering you? you could get a TD42 put in your car for around the same price as fixing that ZD30 which you would never do.

Your current accessories will likely fit on the new one other than any Bar work you have which will be redundant.

The 2013 GU8 is a perla mate, standard rear diff lock and traction control. Its a whole other world by comparison to what you have now.

Head over to the introduction section here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions) and post an intro mate, we like folks to say G'day

flemj
6th June 2013, 07:17 PM
Hi

I have a 2011 Gu ST Patrol with 95,000km on it. Purchased new and have had no issues with it.

John