PDA

View Full Version : cooling a TD42

lman
5th June 2013, 03:42 AM
I plan to do some touring in my Gu i will be towing a off road camper, i have the offer on a 4 core all alloy rad but i am not sure if it is needed ,
have to pay around $400, any thoughts?

BigRAWesty
5th June 2013, 08:00 AM
Put that $400 unto a good radiator service, clean and flush. Imo nothing wrong with stock setup if looked after.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

nissannewby
5th June 2013, 08:12 AM
As above mate. If the standard setup is in good nic you won't ever have an issue

gaddy
5th June 2013, 03:13 PM
As above , my parents have just got back from a trip towing a 17 jayco , Brisbane to Darwin down the center to south aus , and back to birdsville via the birdsville track , no issues at all and it's a bog stock out of the factory 4.2 , he's also spent 2 months in the cape as well , Telly track and all points no dramas , he also tows a 3.2 t boat . And with mine I tow 2.5 t boat no worries . And a jayco swan on the beach no dramas both 4.2 tdi

Steve

Morton
5th June 2013, 08:27 PM
stick with stock, thorough flush, new genuine thermostat, new hoses, good for years, Bobs your relative

Sid
6th June 2013, 01:52 PM
best to use genuine nissan thermostat.

threedogs
6th June 2013, 01:55 PM
Replace your hoses and keep old hoses for spares

Tonks
7th June 2013, 07:22 AM
Stock radiator in my 4.2, towing a 2 tonne boat no heating issues at all,

Spend the coin on something else.

MB
20th January 2021, 08:43 PM
In the middle of swapping goodie bits between a GU <> GQ and did just notice this on the old faithful outback GQ TD42.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/01/134.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/01/135.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/01/136.jpg
35 years old the GQ and has kindly hauled (slowly) 2.5tonne for me across some hotter highway country. Only ever let me down once recently with good gauge watching/creeping symptoms of its 35 year old viscous coupling not fully locking to 99%.
FWIW: After being kindly educated here by Legends I too believe now our engine bay pressure flaps/traps & OEM tidbits are key wherever possible on 4.2 Nissan diesel truck builds [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie
20th January 2021, 09:08 PM
I 100% agree Mark. I lost the passenger side one on mine somehow. I don't have any numbers to back up my claims but you will have to believe me that it is now running a little bit hotter than it was when it was in place.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

MB
20th January 2021, 09:35 PM
I don’t doubt you Brother Winnie Mate!
I’ve personally been trying to debunk Older Good Diesel Landcrab owners only possible cracks at our beloved TD42 1,000,000 km donks [emoji23]
Tit all boils down to how much we fark with OEM wind tunnels IMO now, wish I had a test tunnel too [emoji12][emoji106][emoji106]
They also Landcrab wish for our Drivetrains Everyday!!

mudski
22nd January 2021, 11:33 PM
Been loosely thinking of raising the bonnet at the hinges to allow the air to pass through the radiator and out easier. As I have a top mount IC, air is being forced in the top and it maybe be going against the air flow direction of the radiator causing turbulence of some degree under the hood? I have all the rubber side thingo’s, sealed up the gaps from the rad support panel and even the plastic air dam, to no avail.
Just a thought...

MB
22nd January 2021, 11:48 PM
Just a thought...be very careful of raising the rear of your daily bonnet Brother Mark Mate!
Boys in blue down here are edumacated on oil <> windscreen situations now and tubular old faithful oil in-cab pressure senders too damn it [emoji23]

mudski
23rd January 2021, 08:35 AM
Yeah didn't think of that to be honest. It was only a thought anyway. Net step for me anyway is to remove my injector pump and have it tested. Which I'm not too keen on doing...