PDA

View Full Version : Boost pressure??

Davesgu
4th June 2013, 03:59 PM
Hey all,
I'm in the middle if installing my NADs gear, I've installed the Dawes valve and EGR block, it all seems to he working well, my only question at the moment is, my Dawes valve is almost completely unscrewed and I'm only peaking at about 8psi boost at around 3200 rpm?? Is this normal?

threedogs
4th June 2013, 05:42 PM
You may need to pack small Stainless washer in the dawes to increase pressure therefore increasing boost.
try to avoid stretching spring, read it wrong, screw in until you get about 10 psi at 100kph. With ERG block exhaust it driving turbo now
Check archives for Chaz Yellowfoot's articles on the ZD30 NADS dawes set up, plenty of pics etc

Davesgu
4th June 2013, 05:44 PM
Just gave it a good run, cruising in 4th at around 70k's I'm showing 0psi boost, gave it a boot full 2nd to 3rd and just hit 10psi @ about 4000rpm. This seems really low from what I've been reading?
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated :)

Davesgu
4th June 2013, 05:49 PM
You may need to pack small Stainless washer in the dawes to increase pressure therefore increasing boost.
try to avoid stretching spring, read it wrong, screw in until you get about 10 psi at 100kph. With ERG block exhaust it driving turbo now
Check archives for Chaz Yellowfoot's articles on the ZD30 NADS dawes set up, plenty of pics etc

Hey Threedogs, so I need to wind the Dawes valve in to increase boost? I've been trying to understand how this Dawes valve works but think I've just confused myself ;) I googled and searched within the forum for Chaz Yellowfoot's stuff but only found one page with little bits of info on each NADs mods, not much in depth stuff, I've most probably searched the wrong thing lol. Thanks heaps for your help :)

threedogs
4th June 2013, 05:57 PM
Yeah wind it in to increase the spring pressure , more pressure more boost, grab 2 spanners the right size jump in and drive
Maybe looking at spiking around 15-18 psi

Sir Roofy
4th June 2013, 05:59 PM
As td says screw it in if you have 3 or 4 threads behind the lock nut that might be close enough
to 14 psi

threedogs
4th June 2013, 06:17 PM
Forgot to mention if you screw it to far in you'll go into limp mode, just back it off till you can floor it and all is normal
It will spike dont worry what it goes to at this stage.

Davesgu
4th June 2013, 06:41 PM
Dam confusing stuff lol, haven't had a lot to do with Vacuum actuated turbos, the ones I play with have computer controlled stepper motors etc. so it's all new to me :)

threedogs
4th June 2013, 06:49 PM
Increasing pressure on the spring means more boost required to open valve, once you get your head around the different bits in the engine bay ,
you'll feel more confident,
What area are you in ???

Davesgu
4th June 2013, 08:12 PM
I'm in Newcastle mate. Seems like I'm the only one on here from this corner of the world lol