PDA

View Full Version : winch help

daves
3rd June 2013, 08:30 PM
is there any way to check the winch brake is working correctly as I pulled my warn xd9000
down to service it and would like to make sure it is before using it on a steep hill,
The brake assembly did unwind 1 turn so I wound it back 1 turn but the manual sais
if it unwinds you must buy a new one.
Any opinions would be appreciated

MudRunnerTD
3rd June 2013, 08:34 PM
Have you got a link to the manual online and I will take a look for you mate.

daves
3rd June 2013, 09:02 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/warn-manual-9k-12k.pdf

MudRunnerTD
3rd June 2013, 09:09 PM
Are you reading page 18 & 19?

D you need any parts or just need to strip and reassemble with all the same parts?

daves
3rd June 2013, 09:23 PM
I stripped it down cleaned it all and reassembled it but when I pulled the brake out to clean inside the drum
I didn't put it inside a tube of the same size so it unwound,the page 21 is where it reckons you cant rewind
the brake but im hoping they had to say that to cover themselves

daves
3rd June 2013, 09:28 PM
sorry mudrunnerTD the link I gave you was the wrong one I will try to find the one I was talking about

daves
3rd June 2013, 09:35 PM
http://atlastrekker.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Warn-Winch-Service-Manual-XD-Series.pdf

MudRunnerTD
3rd June 2013, 09:45 PM
Hmmmmm interesting.

So the brake is spring loaded and is operated via the camlock that you can see in the pic. Same as a high mount. I think they are demanding caution when trying to realign and "wind back" did you have much difficulty in winding it back to small enough to reinsert?

If it went back easily then I think you should be oK.

If in real doubt the go and test it on a slight incline. Run the winch rope out and connect to something (a street light or lamp post will be fine) and winch in for 5m then winch out a few times and see how it feels, if it holds the car then I think you should be confident. It's really the only way to test it.

Hope that helps mate.

daves
3rd June 2013, 11:09 PM
cheers mudrunnertd
no it wasn't hard to wind it back and it went back in ok just hoping it has the correct tension on the spring.
I planned on doing what you suggested as well as trying to reverse to see
if the brake holds.

Thanks mate