PDA

View Full Version : Brake line exhaust clearance

Thirsty
2nd June 2013, 02:34 PM
How close is too close. My brake lines are about 10mm of the extractors with the LS engine. Now it's all in, it's very hard to put a shield over them. The extractors have been HPC at 1200deg ceramic coating. Do I require more heat proofing?
Cheers
Troy

threedogs
2nd June 2013, 04:07 PM
I'd say yes I was forever melting 'stuff' with my chev powered 4x4
Maybe a neat sheetmetal shield

Thirsty
2nd June 2013, 04:17 PM
I'd say yes I was forever melting 'stuff' with my chev powered 4x4
Maybe a neat sheetmetal shield

Thanks threedogs, I spent hours today trying to do exactly that but there is no friggin room.

04OFF
2nd June 2013, 05:18 PM
Troy, you can get some aftermarket heat tubing (heat sleeve) from auto shops, i used some once over fuel hose when i put a VL turbo motor into my torrie, perhaps you can slide it down to where its needed ?

Different are sizes available......

http://www.outlawspeed.com.au/shop/index.php/page/shop/browse/category_id/b5fc74953d37852c36d336fdff5e6921

Thirsty
2nd June 2013, 05:58 PM
Troy, you can get some aftermarket heat tubing (heat sleeve) from auto shops, i used some once over fuel hose when i put a VL turbo motor into my torrie, perhaps you can slide it down to where its needed ?

Different are sizes available......

http://www.outlawspeed.com.au/shop/index.php/page/shop/browse/category_id/b5fc74953d37852c36d336fdff5e6921

Thats the go, Thanks for that. I'll work something out with those

Cheers
Troy

nissannewby
2nd June 2013, 06:22 PM
Your pipes are ceramic coated This takes away a fair amount of heat. Are you talking about the rubber or steel line?

Thirsty
2nd June 2013, 06:34 PM
Steel nissannewby

nissannewby
2nd June 2013, 10:43 PM
I think you should be fine but as you said if your worried try and get something in between. I can ask my mate if you like he has done a couple of these.

Thirsty
3rd June 2013, 06:43 AM
That would be great if you could. I bought the marks adapters heat shield but the motor has to be out to install it. I don't really want to have to pull it out again.
Cheers
Troy

threedogs
3rd June 2013, 10:02 AM
I had access to the best heat proofing materials available [aviation], all with different results .
Maybe longer custom made hoses not a huge expense, braided? . Did all that ceramic coating as well,
Are or will you be running gas or straight petrol or both ?

BillsGU
3rd June 2013, 10:09 AM
I had the same problem a few years back. Kept boiling the fluid. Used heat shields and went to a racing standard fluid (DOT 4.1 I think it was) with a higher boiling point. In the end I re routed the lines.

nissannewby
3rd June 2013, 10:46 AM
Are the marks headers or custom?

Thirsty
3rd June 2013, 11:53 AM
Genie headers,

threedogs
3rd June 2013, 12:24 PM
Block hugger style ?????

nissannewby
3rd June 2013, 01:45 PM
Ok so the ones he has done he has used the marks pipes with the marks shield. This is even in a pain of position with there pipes he said. If you can put a shield in then do.

BigRAWesty
3rd June 2013, 02:17 PM
This might not look the neatest but..m

Can you make a small sheild the wraps around half exhaust ( or however much is needed) with 2 small tabs bent down and alone the exhaust and the use a hose clamp either end to secure..
Have a 10-15mm air gap and this will be heaps. If you grab some 1.2 or 1.6 zinc sheet off cut you could simple cut it with tun snips, and use a vice to shape it..

If your making a larger sheild have tabs at either side, or even 3 each end..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Thirsty
4th June 2013, 06:40 AM
Spoke to my engineer, he said it should be fine. But if I'm worried, put some heat sleaves on and change to dot4 fluid.
Cheers
Troy