PDA

View Full Version : Another new bloke with a GU Patrol

FNQGU
1st June 2013, 12:30 PM
Hi All,

Thought I'd join the forum as i keep finding useful information on it, and who knows might even be able to contribute some day as well. I am based in Cairns and the owner of a GU that I recently fitted out with a Chev 6.5 TD that I am slowly turning into a competent tourer and off-roader.

I originally learnt to drive on a G60 3 speed manual, then work had me driving Troopies and 100 series Toyotas for years before I finally got back around to getting myself sorted again with my current machine.

I went with the Chev engine conversion after much consideration of my needs (towing was one) and must say that I am very happy with it. The torque is fantastic when in the slow and rough stuff and it cruises beautifully on long trips as well.

Cheers
BenK

threedogs
1st June 2013, 12:36 PM
Hi and welcome Ben heaps of tips and info here for you.
BTW What fuel figures you get sitting on 100.
Anyway jump in anytime and enjoy

MEGOMONSTER
1st June 2013, 12:39 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

FNQGU
1st June 2013, 04:19 PM
Hi and welcome Ben heaps of tips and info here for you.
BTW What fuel figures you get sitting on 100.
Anyway jump in anytime and enjoy

To be honest - not really sure yet. The engine has done about 2500klms now and has had one trip out through winding highway and about 500kms of dirt roads where I would probably have only maxed at 90kph, averaging more like 60-70kph. I haven't had a chance to accurately gauge it, but it was around 16l per hundred for that trip, which was reasonably well loaded up, and had a bit of slow rough stuff in there as well. If it stays around there for longer trips I will be pretty happy with it really.

At the end of the day I didn't put it in for the fuel economy, but I would be pleasantly surprised if it hangs in that band.

growler2058
1st June 2013, 04:22 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard

Bloodyaussie
1st June 2013, 04:36 PM
Welcome aboard mate..................

AB
1st June 2013, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Dhuck
1st June 2013, 06:23 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

healy
1st June 2013, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the forum

Hodge
1st June 2013, 07:46 PM
Welcome Ben. Enjoy!

crazyenough
1st June 2013, 08:08 PM
Welcome....welcome.....welcome

Timmo
9th June 2013, 10:48 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum, please enjoy.