PDA

View Full Version : Rear factory locker not working

TiPatrol
1st June 2013, 09:17 AM
Hi guys,

The rear factory locker on my recently bought '99 Ti GU stopped working when I took it out wheeling last weekend. I tried searching threads but couldn't find anything on the related topic.

When I put it in 4LO and turn the diff lock switch ON, the diff lock symbol flashes inside the instrument panel and so does the ABS and the locker doesn't work, it's as if it's an open diff. Did anyone experience same happening to them and what should I look at to rectify the problem?

Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

taslucas
1st June 2013, 10:00 AM
The earlier factory lockers are vacuum operated and is it common for the solenoid to pack it in. I'm guessing it's the same setup on the GU. Maybe check to see if you may have ripped off the vacuum line first?

sent from my phone using motor culture

TiPatrol
1st June 2013, 11:19 AM
Just checked the solenoid and it looks like it's the culprit. I took the top vacuum line off and the air was coming out of the solenoid. Then I put it back, turn the diff lock ON, take it back out, no air, which is normal operation and the air should be blowing from the bottom line. So I took the bottom line off and no air??? Then I switched the lines, turned the diff lock switch back to OFF so the top line blows air and the diff lock light remained constantly ON (not flashing) which means the diff lock is ON as the air is being pumped (even though the switch is in OFF position, as the lines are reversed). I put the lines back to how they were and same as initially, diff lock not engaging and light flashing.

Where can I get this part besides Nissan or if there's an alternative that doesn't fail? The part number on it is HITACHI AESE128.

Chubba
8th January 2014, 08:07 PM
I know this thread is six months old but same thing happened to my 98' Ti. When I first tried the diff lock the light on the dash flashed, which means it has been selected but not yet engaged, a solid light means it has engaged,Tried turning at full lock to get the diff really
working but still nothing. Spoke to a few people and all said similar that solenoid was fu. One suggestion was to tap solenoid lightly with hammer. I did this and gave the diff housing a good bash for good measure and it has performed perfectly every time since.

TiPatrol
8th January 2014, 08:17 PM
Lucky you, mine ended up being the solenoid. I replaced it with the one from Pneutech which now works but I broke the locker since. Pulled it apart and the culprit is the soft side gear. Don't like that design at all. They should've made the side gear as strong as the dog gear and have at least 4 pins instead of the 2 engaging into the 8 slots on the side gear.

I'm gonna replace the centre with an LSD and tighten it good, put a Spartan in the front and should do the job easy, for what I do.

This is one of the videos with my Patrol in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dYv1a1DrK4

Chubba
8th January 2014, 08:33 PM
FU hardcore mate I love it. Did you do that with diff lock or is that what fu it.

Chubba
8th January 2014, 08:42 PM
If your into that stuff you should have a look a the 63% reduction thread in" General Discussion" ,General Nissan patrol chat.

TiPatrol
8th January 2014, 08:52 PM
Yep, that's where I broke it. You can hear it at 7:40.

This is what happened when I pulled it apart:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/8.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/9.jpg

The fork broke and the arm that connects the fork to the actuator broke.

In addition to that, the dog gears wore out slightly but the side gear was really gone kaput. I ended up fixing the fork and the arm by welding it all back together and it works but the new side gear is needed.

TiPatrol
8th January 2014, 09:08 PM
This is the side gear:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/10.jpg

I wish they did a better design, but the concept is clever compared to other types of lockers.

If I can find a cheap side gear, I wouldn't mind fixing it.

TiPatrol
10th January 2014, 12:33 PM
If your into that stuff you should have a look a the 63% reduction thread in" General Discussion" ,General Nissan patrol chat.

I'd love the reduction gears but I'd go with 85%