PDA

View Full Version : TD42 turbo project.

Matt195583
31st May 2013, 10:53 PM
I finally bit the bullet and kicked my turbo project into gear I have purchased a DTS kit, 5x8 pwr water to air cooler and a patrol docta airbox. My injector pump bloke is rebuilding/upgrading my GQ pump and seems to think 150kw should be achievable. At the end of the day numbers mean little it's drivability I am chasing :)

I am having a mechanic mate do the work for me and have asked him to get plenty of pics along the way so I can share them here.

I also will end up with a near complete factory turbo setup to sell on as I have accumulated quite a few parts over the years.

89gqpatrol4x4
2nd June 2013, 11:59 AM
nice work mate, keep us posted with photos and the end result as far as figures

Matt195583
18th October 2013, 11:09 PM
Well it's been a while but we got the shorty running a few days back although I still don't have the exhaust system on but took it for a lap around my mates workshop and its very promising :)
I had a bit of panel damage from laying her over in the bush so I got stuck into the repairs and I was going to give it a "quick" paint job to get it looking respectable again that progressed into a bare metal respray. In the process I discovered the two rear body mounts were smashed to I spent a day rebuilding them also.

I have quite a few pics of the turbo/intercooler fit up and body repairs on my phone and will endeavour to do a bit of a write up once I am finished and have some spare time.

Matt195583
18th October 2013, 11:27 PM
I also welded panels over the indentations where the plastic trim sits Infront of the rear wheel arches as I have trimmed arches and the plastic looked like crap. It will be interesting to see how that turns out all painted up.
Unfortunately I did not get any pics of this proccess, basically how I did it was to remove the plastic guard then got some cardboard and made a rough template of the shape needed to fill the section I then transfered the template onto my doner steel leaving about 10mm extra to play with. Lucky for me the shop next door to my mates workshop is a panel beaters so wen next door and got an old quarter panel and bonnet to butcher for panel steel. Once I had my rough shape I pulled up a milk crate and buzzed off the paint in the area to be welded with a wire wheel on the 5" grinder, achieving the final shape was just a matter of sitting on my crate with a flap disk on the 5" grinder and progressively shaping the panel while checking the shape regularly. I found it easiest to start from the top and work my way down only concentrating on the top and forward edge as the outside/rear edge could be trimmed and shaped once the panel was tacked in position, the panel is fully welded in position I was surprised to find I didn't have any trouble with distortion due to heat although I did weld it in with the sequence welding technique and used vertical down.

Matt195583
19th October 2013, 07:52 AM
Oh and for anyone wondering 99% of the crud around the body mount pics is a mixture of fish oil and red dirt.

Matt195583
19th October 2013, 09:14 PM
All stripped back and given a good dose of furtan.

Warwick89
19th October 2013, 09:28 PM
Big task mate but looking good

Matt195583
19th October 2013, 10:33 PM
Cheers mate it's taking a while but the results should be worth it another week or so and hopefully she will be mobile again.

Matt195583
22nd October 2013, 12:20 AM
Got it primed and starred bogging.

89gqpatrol4x4
22nd October 2013, 06:37 PM
Going along nicely by the looks! Did you trim the front guards? and colour will it be? Keep the photos coming.

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2013, 07:26 PM
That's a huge guard chop. Very nicely done. Guessing 35+ tyres are on the books??

Matt195583
22nd October 2013, 08:43 PM
The guard chop is a rather large the previous owner was running 38s, It is also fitted with 4.6 crown and pinions so 35's would be nice to bring the revs down a bit at 100km but qld is a bit ordinary when it comes to modifying 4x4's.

Just going back to the standard white as I'm not really a fan of standing out like a sore thumb.

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2013, 10:36 PM
You reckon Qld regs are harsh, take a look at sa.. Lol

But yea fair enough wanting to blend in.

Matt195583
23rd October 2013, 01:48 AM
It annoys me no end that we are subject to a buch of laws basically made for cars. I could go on a rant but its 12:12 AM and I just finished skimming some more bog on and I'm done.

I did do a bit of a tidy up on the guard chop and welded in a 25 mm lip made from panel steel to stiffen them up a bit, its not perfect but the flares will cover up and flaws.

Matt195583
23rd October 2013, 07:40 PM
Righto all the major panel and bog work is completed and its now all one colour again, Metal Fix red apparently this stuff is used on oil rigs, ships and all sorts of other applications we will see how it goes as a preventative measure.
Tomorrow we block it back for grey primer then block it back again for colour.

Here is a bit of a before and after of the left hand rear quarter that was proper bent.

Matt195583
23rd October 2013, 09:48 PM
I'm really liking the modified rear wheel arches right now.

Matt195583
27th October 2013, 10:03 PM
Here she is with the final coat of primer blocked back with 400 wet and dry.

Drewboyaus
27th October 2013, 10:34 PM
Looking good mate!

Matt195583
28th October 2013, 12:15 AM
Got it painted today acrylic + clear. Still needs to be wet rubbed and polished but it should come up mint.

Matt195583
28th October 2013, 12:16 AM
I really need to work out how to rotate my pics :/ I will get some more pics in the daylight tomorrow, the last coat went on at 7:30pm.

fracster
28th October 2013, 03:21 AM
I think it the host server that is rotating your pics mate.

Straight uoload to photobucket:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/Fracster/Nissan%20patrol/WhiteGQ.jpg (http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Fracster/media/Nissan%20patrol/WhiteGQ.jpg.html)

UCAGQ2
28th October 2013, 02:25 PM
Looking sweet mate!

Wish I had the skills to do stuff like that

Matt195583
29th October 2013, 11:10 PM
Just a quick pic of the patrol out in the sunlight. Waiting for the paint to gas off a bit and harden before we polish her up, so I'm keeping busy with things like the gauge pod and hitting the chassis and in the wheel arched with a bit of black.

Matt195583
2nd November 2013, 08:26 PM
Ok a few updated pics, nearly ready to see what the turbo intercooler and pump mods have given us.

AB
2nd November 2013, 09:00 PM
Sexy new white paint job!!!

I am so tempted to spray my gq white, I love the white trash..lol

Matt195583
2nd November 2013, 09:01 PM
I've also got some koni adjustable shocks coming for the shorty, if anyone is interested I have a set of long travel Pedders track rider shocks that came off it. They have done about 15-20 000 km they are in good condition just a bit stiff for a shorty. $300 and they are yours iirc the rrp is about $800.

Matt195583
2nd November 2013, 09:03 PM
Cheers AB its the original colour in acrylic still needs blocking back and buffing though, can't wait to have it shining with some tint on the windows it should look the gear.

AB
2nd November 2013, 09:32 PM
It's looking good mate, my gq is blue, spraying white will just be wrong on so many levels.

Very jealous mate!

Matt195583
3rd November 2013, 08:25 AM
Got the gauge pod mounted and wired, left to right it's oil pressure, water temp, boost, pyro. The far left hole is going to be a dual USB charger which I have but am waiting on a gauge blank to fit it into as its a 32mm bulkhead mount and I wanted the holes to be uniform.

Matt195583
4th November 2013, 11:36 PM
The Koni's turned up today so we set them at 20% and went for a blast around the industrial complex we are in... These things are bloody amazing cant wait to get wind the boost up to 15psi and go for a good drive :D

Matt195583
4th November 2013, 11:38 PM
Today I also replaced the Bailey channels on both doors, there goes all that annoying rattling that usually goes on.
I bought the section from Clark Rubber at Capalaba for about $55 there is two different sections needed, the top of the window frames are different from the section actually inside the door. I will get the part numbers and post them if anyone is interested.

BigRAWesty
5th November 2013, 02:04 AM
Today I also replaced the Bailey channels on both doors, there goes all that annoying rattling that usually goes on.
I bought the section from Clark Rubber at Capalaba for about $55 there is two different sections needed, the top of the window frames are different from the section actually inside the door. I will get the part numbers and post them if anyone is interested.

Also a picture as I have no idea what you have replace?? Lol

Matt195583
5th November 2013, 08:52 AM
Righto there is an end view of the old sections that needed replacing. The left is the upper right is the lower.
The top rubber section push's into the window hoop for the glass to slide in, it locks into the hoop via a lip and the shape of the rubber. You will need to cut a 90 degree piece out to get the top rear bend in the hoop as per the pics, I just cut the 90 with side cutters it was easiest to start in the top rear corner and work away from it leaving the rubber a bit longer than it needed to be and trimming it to suit.
The lower section is inside the door and requires a small bead of contact cement ( I'm guessing to stop it sliding down )

I bought 5 meters of the upper section and ended up with a touch over a meter off cut. And 2.5 meters of the lower section with a little to spare. Both were $9.90 per meter. So a total of $65 if I had measured the tops a bit better ;)

Matt195583
5th November 2013, 11:34 PM
Another productive day we got the flares on, stereo sorted, doors finished off and the dash back together. One of the vdo gauges is a bit dicky it doesn't light up properly. Bursons should have the new one in the morning.

Matt195583
13th November 2013, 08:30 PM
All back together except for a few finishing touches, mud flaps and a cut and polish.

Matt195583
13th November 2013, 09:18 PM
I'm 3200km into a return trip to Melbourne and absolutely stoked with the patrol I haven't wound the fuel up and am running 15psi.
So far I've not found a hill that required 4th gear and that includes cunninghams gap.
Fuel consumption is sitting at about 11.8l per 100km at 100kmh

happygu
13th November 2013, 10:03 PM
All back together except for a few finishing touches, mud flaps and a cut and polish.

Very neat Matt ... looks great

Well done and it is a great result for all your hard work

Mic

BigRAWesty
13th November 2013, 10:30 PM
That looks bloody tops mate. Very adventurous project but it has payed Off extremely well..
Bloody jealous that's for sure.
Have fun getting it dirty... Lol

Matt195583
14th November 2013, 07:54 AM
Cheers for comments guys I have a bit of a habit of letting things get out of hand it was supposed to be a 3 day jam job, as it is it took the best part of 3 weeks to do the paint and panel work.

Matt195583
1st December 2013, 03:03 AM
I've now borrowed a set of 35"s off a mate and wound the fuel up a bit. Winding the fuel up has made the boost come on nice and early and more than countered the change from 33 to 35 inch tires I think I might just have to purchase a set of 35s.