PDA

View Full Version : Zd30 catch can boost gauge and Dawes valve

Teamdjbilo
31st May 2013, 01:53 AM
Hi all

I have a 02 GU patrol with the zd30 motor with the egr blocked.

So I have installed the egt gauge and put the boost gauge in only to find I put the boost gauge in wrong and now need to mod this and from what I have found I may require Dawes valve. But from what I can see this is no different to the boost controller I have coming.
I maybe wrong but not sure. Then I will weld a bit in to attach hose correctly.

Then comes the oil catch can I keep looking but can't find the best way to attach the catch can and not sure where or how.

As I do not have enough posts to allow me to access manuals yet any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking at doing this all this hopefully next few days. Apart from the boost controller as it hasn't arrived yet!

Many thanks in advance.
Simon

june
31st May 2013, 08:38 AM
Check out Chaz's website, I found it a great help, it tells you everything you need to know and has some good clear pictures on how to set it up http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/zd30_engine_problems.htm

threedogs
31st May 2013, 05:11 PM
Should be plenty of pics on this subject, as June suggested check out Chaz Yellowfoot [guru]
Or maybe Mudski has some pics, to help you .
Where you located might be member nearby who can assist you.

Teamdjbilo
31st May 2013, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys will check the website.

And I am located north of Byron bay in Crabbes creek at the moment. Just trying to get car ready and fixed as might be relocating in the next few months back to Kalgoorlie wa for work

geoff77
2nd June 2013, 09:58 PM
Yeah don't worry too much about not having access. I am also new with an april/02 Gu 3ltre, found heaps of photos here. Ahh Kal...lived in Esperance for a number of years, old days with the GQ.

Teamdjbilo
2nd June 2013, 11:33 PM
Esperence nice place very cold but some of the nicest beachs I have seen

BoojaBear
6th June 2013, 10:55 AM
Got a similar problem. Need some parts pic to see where all the parts go back in the engine I didn't pull apart

threedogs
6th June 2013, 11:00 AM
You can mount the catch can just behind the air filter box using some
gal brackets from bunnings , The wood type with holes everywhere
Boost guage needs to be zero to 30 psi, no minus boost
Make sure your EGT guage is in "C" not "F" like me
Once you have everything set up let us know what your Patrol
is doing and we {forum} can walk you through setting up Dawes etc.
Dawes controlls boost and boost determines EGT.

Teamdjbilo
6th June 2013, 11:48 AM
Attached is a picture of my catch can (not installed as not sure where to install)

There is another picture of my egt and boost gauge installed on my dash, all tho my boost gauge goes into vacuum which I know I have wrong but can not find a fitting to weld into the pipe.

As for my boost controller this is it well mine is red but you get the picture and I don't know where to install that either.

threedogs
6th June 2013, 01:15 PM
Should be a spot in the engine bay in front of the passenger on an upright steel plate.
Not familiar with the boost controller, others will know.
That guage house might sit behind steering wheel.
Might be able to drill & tap on boost side some where. check archives for area

Teamdjbilo
6th June 2013, 02:48 PM
Yeah I know it should go up there but don't know to connect hose's ect n being that I connected the boost gauge up wrong don't wanna do that to this as well

threedogs
6th June 2013, 04:32 PM
Mudski is more familiar with your set up and can't be too far away.

meh
6th June 2013, 09:31 PM
Hey mate, With your boost gauge if you dont want to worry about welding and can afford get one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Fit-Boost-Gauge-Adapter-Nissan-Patrol-ZD30-and-CRD-/360663834722
I did have the same two gauges you had but found the boost gauge would vibrate(needs inline filter) and my EGT was faulty and "replaced" with the same one so bought some better ones and they are much better.
As for your boost controller I found this one below

mudski
6th June 2013, 10:20 PM
Those TurboSmart boost controllers wont work with the ZD30 turbos as the VNT on the turbo is vacuum operated not boost operated like nearly every other turbo'd vehicle.
You must use a Dawes for this application as it pics up boost from your intake to control a shut off type valve in the dawes which when hooked up to the vacuum side of things will then control the turbo's maximum boost limit.

Teamdjbilo
6th June 2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks yeah a little tight on my budget at the moment but will defiantly look at a few better ones at later dates but hope these ones hold up for the moment.

As for the adaptor it says to fit over the MAF señor but everyone keeps saying to put on the pipes coming out of the intercooler I think it was the one closest to the front going down to the turbo. Would you say this is much better? I have a new MAF sensor hopefully arriving in the next day or so as its lacking big time in power!.

Thanks for the picture of the boost controller will have a look in the morning into see if I can work it out!.

Teamdjbilo
6th June 2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks mudski will look into it tomorrow and may have to buy one a Dawes valve now mmm. I suppose this is why I am asking all this to find out so I don't make more mistakes like I already did with the boost gauge at current!.

mudski
6th June 2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks yeah a little tight on my budget at the moment but will defiantly look at a few better ones at later dates but hope these ones hold up for the moment.

As for the adaptor it says to fit over the MAF seņor but everyone keeps saying to put on the pipes coming out of the intercooler I think it was the one closest to the front going down to the turbo. Would you say this is much better? I have a new MAF sensor hopefully arriving in the next day or so as its lacking big time in power!.

Thanks for the picture of the boost controller will have a look in the morning into see if I can work it out!.
Is this for the boost gauge? If so if you fit it where the MAF sensor is you wont get any boost reading at all. It needs to be anywhere AFTER the turbo and before the engine.

Teamdjbilo
6th June 2013, 11:05 PM
The adapter simply fits to the MAP sensor mount with the MAP Sensor bolting on top, and the barbed tail allows the fitting of the boost gauge tubing.

That's the picture from the add and a quote from in the add says! And yes for the boost gauge!.

Now I am extremely lost but also tired so might have to wait till the morning and re look at the engine so I can see where everyone is talking about!

mudski
6th June 2013, 11:17 PM
Ahh! MAP sensor not MAF sensor. Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. Two different things. This fit on the front of intercooler. I have never bothered with those things. The MAF sensor is just after the air box...

On the front of the intercooler you will see an electrical plug there. Unplug it and remove the sensor and fit this in between the intercooler and sensor.

Teamdjbilo
6th June 2013, 11:24 PM
Ok this is why I am lost and yeah little tired!. Mmm ok makes better sense now!.

meh
6th June 2013, 11:28 PM
I have one of those adaptors. Its at the front of the intercooler. Easy to see once you take off the engine cover and bolts in works great

Teamdjbilo
6th June 2013, 11:53 PM
That's cool I just brought one! Probably shouldn't with my budget being no job! Now looking at Dawes valves but the one I found on eBay does not look like it has all the bits for it! Any place's u recommend around Byron to Gold Coast ect?

Teamdjbilo
7th June 2013, 10:57 AM
Wow just arrived and installed the new MAF sensor and the power difference I have is unbelievable. Hills where I would have to change down to 3rd gear I now can do in 5th comfortably.
I was that excited with the power difference I had to get my dad to take it for a drive to show him and he may of not been as excited as me but was defiantly impressed!.

mudski
7th June 2013, 04:10 PM
I sell Dawes valve on Ebay but have run out of stock. Hoping the next batch of 40 will be next week. I also have needle valves coming but having to wait for them to arrive from Italy is killing me. They are in no hurry those Ital's...I sell OEM MAF's and EGR plates too. MCB Autoparts is me...

Shaun 4x4
7th June 2013, 05:28 PM
I sell Dawes valve on Ebay but have run out of stock. Hoping the next batch of 40 will be next week. I also have needle valves coming but having to wait for them to arrive from Italy is killing me. They are in no hurry those Ital's...I sell OEM MAF's and EGR plates too. MCB Autoparts is me...

Maybe I ordered your last one.
I recently also bought a boost gauge but haven't looked to much at how the connect the pressure side of thing up.
Will I have to weld in a bung for the air line?

mudski
7th June 2013, 06:45 PM
Maybe I ordered your last one.
I recently also bought a boost gauge but haven't looked to much at how the connect the pressure side of thing up.
Will I have to weld in a bung for the air line?
Either weld a bung in or buy the adaptor, same as above. Give me your Ebay user name Shaun and I'll check the tracking number.

Shaun 4x4
7th June 2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks for that. I sent you a pm

Teamdjbilo
7th June 2013, 11:31 PM
That's cool mudski well I am keen on one so let us know when u got some and I'll buy one off eBay or if your located locally can come buy one from you and save you some postage and eBay fee's!

Limmy
8th June 2013, 07:27 PM
Mudski , when all the gears in . i'll be seeing you ! Need dawes, those needle valve , and egt plate ! Needle valve looks good