PDA

View Full Version : weird noise!

Limmy
30th May 2013, 06:38 PM
hi all

just noticed a weird noise from me zd30 . done heaps of search. need more ideas

It sounds like a whistle/kettle but not as loud. happens upon certain revs or boost ( haven't installed boost gauge yet". It dissapears when i let go of accelrator . Sounds as if its coming from the drivers side. i tried to replicate this sound while in neutral or Park , doesn't make the noise. This whistle sound is more louder and consistant when the car is cold.

took i/c off last week , clean it all up refited pipes clamped tightly , cleaned MAF sensor. Noise not gone

Car drives well , no smoke.

I have read up it could be exhaust manifold gasket or egr pipe ? possibly combination of both ?

Also While idling in Park - the passsenger side where turbo is . has more louder clacker and little tink tink tink knock noise noise sound near the turbo . I hope its just a gasket or loose bolts.

any ideas guys ? thanks heaps

mudski
30th May 2013, 06:42 PM
Its common for the egr pipe to warp where it bolts up. Which end of the pipe I'm not sure. If it is warped, remove the pipe and sand it back until flat then re-install.
As for the other issue. Get under the car with a bright light and check for soot spots. hopefully its just a loose turbo or dump pipe. Yuo ca also remove the intake pipe from the turbo and get your fingers in the turbo and spin the impeller. If it feels like a smooth spin, your right. Hopefully.

Good luck.

Limmy
30th May 2013, 06:46 PM
Yep Im going to try that next. might get a gasket too . I'll try the cheaper options first. What grit sandpaper ?

threedogs
30th May 2013, 06:48 PM
My dump pipe cracked directly behind turbo recently giving it a Pitoo sound like a blow off valve

Limmy
2nd June 2013, 06:33 PM
i took of egr pipe and sanded the face of the pipe all flat . and replaced new gasket for the bottom of the EGR pipe . Took for a test drive. noise is still there. definately not the EGR .

heyhey_guess_who
3rd June 2013, 05:58 PM
I had similar but it was my manifold/turbo gasket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUOypj8ovqY&lc=pTwX2SQUoOpibmD7nrfmSJIIdOnlhn4BKv2P0AGcAx0

Limmy
9th June 2013, 05:44 AM
I got my manifold and turbo gasket
Juat got tp figure how to take the turbo off now