PDA

View Full Version : Tight clutch sometimes. Normal ?

Hodge
29th May 2013, 06:49 PM
My clutch is really hard to de-press in certain cases. For example when engine is not running. Also If i leave car in gear overnight the jump in to turn it on in the morning and stomp on the clutch to get out of gear in order to turn the patrol on, the clutch is really stiff. Pressable but very stiff.
Another time is for example when you double clutch. So while driving, press clutch take out of gear, then press it again to get in gear, and is really stiff then. Takes a bit more force with foot to depress it.
Normal? If not, why would this be? I come from a D22 navara before hand and it never behaved this way.
Cheers.

MudRunnerTD
29th May 2013, 06:52 PM
On the TD42 the clutch is a vacuum assisted clutch and what you describe is due to a lack of vacuum. Running the car for 10seconds will sort that out.

Not sure about the ZD30 though??

mudski
29th May 2013, 06:55 PM
Not to worry mate, they are vacuum boosted. So when the engine is off there is no vacuum being created from the vacuum pump and when you double clutch the booster hasn't had time to build up enough vacuum.

All is normal.

Hodge
29th May 2013, 06:58 PM
Yeh figured as much Madrunner. I'm sure it would be the same in the 3.0L crd's. I understand the vacum principle when engine is off, but if i'm double clutching, I guess it could be 2 de-presses in a short period of time maybe. * shrugs *

happygu
29th May 2013, 07:02 PM
It is the same with of our our trucks, and it has been ever since i had my 89 GQ

Don't worry about it, as long as it all works properly with the engine running it is all good

Mic

Hodge
29th May 2013, 07:03 PM
Not to worry mate, they are vacuum boosted. So when the engine is off there is no vacuum being created from the vacuum pump and when you double clutch the booster hasn't had time to build up enough vacuum.

All is normal.

Well there you go thanks for clarifying that up mudski. So depressing it while vaccum isnt built up, doesnt damage anything its just harder to press due to no assistance from vaccum correct ?

happygu
29th May 2013, 07:04 PM
Hodge , I've never noticed double clutching to be too problematic though.

I will check tonight

Mic

mudski
29th May 2013, 07:11 PM
Ni damage will be done. If you want to you can replace all the vacuum hoses ad no doubt they wont be in great nic. But I notice on mine if I double clutch the second press of the pedal is slightly harder than the first.

nissannewby
29th May 2013, 08:10 PM
Why are we double clutching with a synchro box?

Hodge
29th May 2013, 08:29 PM
Why are we double clutching with a synchro box?

I drive trucks and cranes with a non synchro crash box at work, so just a habit to double clutch every now and then in a personal car too. It only happens sometimes though in the patrol, just a habit I guess.