PDA

View Full Version : Gq or Gu?

Mattonpatrol
29th May 2013, 12:48 PM
Hi all!
I recently had an accident in my 97Gu and it got rid off, and will only get enough money back from insurance to afford to buy a Gq, which I don't mind as I like them anyways, but was wondering if Gq's are just as good as Gu's 4wd and capable wise? Etc etc or any pros or cons on them

threedogs
29th May 2013, 12:58 PM
Boy have you opened up a can of worms, Let the games begin
GU for me

nissannewby
29th May 2013, 01:01 PM
Short answer yes very much the same vehicle. Prob only difference is seating.

taslucas
29th May 2013, 01:05 PM
Lets try keep to keep to the facts for this guys lol not hijack another thread.
Id say if you take the engines out of the equation then both models are basically exactly the same.
If your just doing moderate 4wding with moderate modifications then either will serve exactly the same.
When it comes to all other 4wding, I tip the GU as a better tourer and the GQ as better for hardcore and technical driving.

sent from my phone using motor culture

MudRunnerTD
29th May 2013, 01:16 PM
Id say if you take the engines out of the equation then both models are basically exactly the same.
If your just doing moderate 4wding with moderate modifications then either will serve exactly the same.
When it comes to all other 4wding, I tip the GU as a better tourer and the GQ as better for hardcore and technical driving.

What he said mate.

threedogs
29th May 2013, 02:34 PM
WOW Lucas you blow me away sometimes. but agree for comps and Outback challenges, even tuff truck, a GQ would be first choice.
they love to be modded,
then if you're after a comfortable Outback tourer , you'd be hard pressed to go past a GU Patrol.
Time will tell where the Y62 fits in all this

RubberDuckieGQ
30th May 2013, 12:50 AM
From my (extremely limited) experience i think GQs might be easier to work on yourself if you got stuck?

And somewhat unrelated but i just really like the classic GQ look :)

Bloodyaussie
30th May 2013, 09:19 AM
A gq is every bit capable of what a Gu is.... take your time and you could find a nice tidy one as there are plenty of gems hiding away.

BigRAWesty
30th May 2013, 02:02 PM
Well chassis wise there identical. Its the body shape and a little more leg room in the gu that's the difference. And engines of course.
GU's are a quieter ride due to better sound deadening but as mentioned and more complex with electronics.

I'm guessing you've landed around the 10g mark. You can find gu's in this bracket, most are stock and either a 2.8 or petrol versions..
So have a look around. Some bargins out there at the moment..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Mattonpatrol
31st May 2013, 06:51 AM
Thank you guys! That's exactly What I wanted to hear:). I've recently been looking up on "carsales" and I'm assuming that its abit hard to find a good 4.2TD these days, but what would the 2.8TD be like with a nice exhaust system etc, & can plenty of mods be done to it? Because I know the 3.0LTD engines have there down sides in terms of mechanically wise. But in terms of reliability & performance from the 2.8TD?

"Patrol all the way"

MQ MAD
31st May 2013, 10:19 AM
Wouldn't touch anything less than 4.2 L,be that diesel or petrol

If you want a mint 1997 4.2 EFI ,let me via PM ,might be unloading the GQ and getting a new dual cab 4bie

Morton
4th June 2013, 06:06 PM

x 2 on this comment, I have both at the moment, my slightly modified GU is a tourer & my modified GQ is my toy, it is the perfect setup for me being in a 4WD club & having 4 kids, caters to both of my needs, unfortunately I cannot afford both so have done the Daddy thing & selling my GQ to a mate, now I will only be able to sit in it when wheeling but it is better than nothing