PDA

View Full Version : radio arial is weak on new patrol

bullo
28th May 2013, 01:19 PM
I am wondering if others are having trouble with radio reception in newer model patrols, The arials are on the rear windows and mine are next to useless in outer areas. Had it back on warranty and they changed one "booster" but not much better. cheers

threedogs
28th May 2013, 01:26 PM
Dont you have electric antenna on guard, check antenna earth,
.Wires on my back window are demister

Might want to pop over to intros too please, just something the Forum asks of all of us

MudRunnerTD
28th May 2013, 01:29 PM
Is this a Y61 or the new body shape Y62?

Please head over to the Introduction section mate and say Hello before asking questions. We like people to say Hi went they walk in a room.

Cheers MR

bullo
28th May 2013, 03:47 PM
Can't find the introduction section, was on forum up to a couple of years ago. It's a 2012 GU8 maybe, My old 2006 patrol had an electric arial, it just broke when off road. Also eventually achieved 10+ klm/ltre, not tailwind either but sitting around 95-100 kph. cheers (will look harder for intro section)

threedogs
28th May 2013, 04:22 PM
Up the top click forum and scroll down. You saying your 4x4 has no antenna as such. conventional ???

benno77gu
28th May 2013, 06:18 PM
I have a gu and it has shitty reception it has the power aerial on the passenger guard

jack
28th May 2013, 06:40 PM
Hi Bullo, yeap the reception is absolute crap in the GU8. Been back to Nissan twice and still no better. I believe it's the aerial being in the window that's the issue, never had any issues with the old external ones.

Hodge
28th May 2013, 09:35 PM
Hey folks, this might sound stupid but... You guys with the reception problems, do you have tinted windows ? Might not apply to FM but, the rear windows with the areal on it gets real fuzzy when a "metalic" type tint is applied to the window and gets in contact with the areal there. The window antenna is also AM from what I'm told.
Not saying this is your issue, but just a brainstorming idea. I got my windows tinted this morning and as soon as the bloke saw the patrol, he pointed that little fact out to me.

jack
28th May 2013, 10:23 PM
Hi Hodge, yeap I have tinted windows but the reception was crap before I had it added. Nissan tried to tell me that was the issue but the problem was there before, also it's a non metallic tint. The XTrail had exactly the same tint and the reception was great, but it had a small external aerial.

benno77gu
29th May 2013, 07:27 AM
hi threedogs can you tell me where the aerial earth is, cheers

Hodge
29th May 2013, 06:45 PM
Hi Hodge, yeap I have tinted windows but the reception was crap before I had it added. Nissan tried to tell me that was the issue but the problem was there before, also it's a non metallic tint. The XTrail had exactly the same tint and the reception was great, but it had a small external aerial.

Nah good to hear mate, i just thought i'd throw it out there in case it actually is the cause. And mate of mine today with a 2004 gu, actually confirmed what the tine place said, his am reception went to shithouse when tint was applied to that window.

threedogs
29th May 2013, 06:53 PM
Confused over this now Yendor may know of earth position.
My 04 model has wires in 3 windows 2 rear are for heater/demistor but only one works
even though both show power to them. Someone said rear left cargo window was demistor too
Not sure anymore,so confused, isnt earth visible near glass rubber on inside.

the evil twin
29th May 2013, 07:23 PM
Confused over this now Yendor may know of earth position.
My 04 model has wires in 3 windows 2 rear are for heater/demistor but only one works
even though both show power to them. Someone said rear left cargo window was demistor too
Not sure anymore,so confused, isnt earth visible near glass rubber on inside.

hiya 3D

You were right the first time

Rear left window is an onglass radio antenna and forms the 'other' half of the diversity antenna set up.
It is used in japan but is not useful for australian freq's. The connection of the two antennas (up to GU7 I think) being the powered mast and the fixed onglass is in the passenger footwell then a common feed goes to the head unit

If you check it out closely there is no circuit like the demister wires IE the wire has one feed connector and the other just ends in free air.

A mod that works maybe 90% of the time esp with el cheapo aftermarket head units to improve radio reception is to earth the coax of the antenna lead to the radio

bullo
29th May 2013, 07:50 PM
I am not sure where the aerial earth is, will try and have a look. cheers

bullo
12th June 2013, 10:51 PM
Had it in for a warranty job. Technician's advised that the system is not good in any fringe reception area. Doesn't seem concerned and maybe I should be content with an inferior radio!!! My wife isn't that keen on Bob Dylan and Neil Young CD's, pitty! cheers