PDA

View Full Version : Spare wheel location

4X4MUD
28th May 2013, 08:49 AM
Guys, Im sure this has been asked and answered before but i just want to ask what you guys think of the idea to put the spare wheel on the roof of my GQ? I got 33" on the rear door and want to take it off and replace it with a jerry can holder. Also, What can i strap the wheel to the roof with? Cheers guys

hershal
28th May 2013, 09:11 AM
I was looking into this also. I guess trying to safely get it down would be an issue. But I think you can buy something for that. Do you want to bolt straight to roof. Or in to a rack?

Bloodyaussie
28th May 2013, 09:17 AM
Mate once a wheel started to get away from me on the roof and headed for the front window... funny and not so funny!!!!!

A 33 is a lot of weight to deal with if you are in a real tough spot, I am making my own rear wheel carrier and jerry can holder... the main expence for me is the swivels as I have been collecting the steel that I would need for a while now.

BillsGU
28th May 2013, 09:21 AM
Too heavy - too awkward - too dangerous .................. Why don't you put the jerry can on the roof? The idea is you carry it empty until the last fill point and THEN fill it. You then tip it into the tank at the first opportunity and carry a light weight empty can on the roof. I have been on trips with people with wheels on the roof and it is a real pain when they need to get it off.

patrolmq
28th May 2013, 09:55 AM
lifting a 33" wheel and tyre onto the roof above my head would probably nearly kill me or at least end up with dents in the car or smashed windows. Also having an extra 50-60kg on the roof along with 50kg+ of roof rack, on a lifted 4x4 when off roading is not my idea of stability, nor would I like to have a crash with it on the roof! Personally, I'm going to put mine on the floor in the back of the MQ between the wheel arches and strap it down, it'll help lower the COG. I've got a SWB, but with only 2 seats, there's still plenty of room.

Cuppa
28th May 2013, 10:25 AM
dents in the car or smashed windows

Hernia repairs aren't a lot of fun either!

Cuppa

threedogs
28th May 2013, 10:58 AM
This is what I did, faux wheel carries all straps, shackles and recovery gear,

paulyg
28th May 2013, 06:11 PM
As others have said it could be very dangerous to put a heavy wheel on the roof,
You don't always get a flat tyre in a convenient place, what happens if its raining or you are on a muddy track?
everything will be wet and slippery you could drop the wheel on your self { if you could pick it up } and really injure yourself.

4X4MUD
28th May 2013, 08:39 PM
Think I might leave it on the rear barn door... Don't want to get my self into something I can't get out of... Thanks so much guys

P4trol
28th May 2013, 09:58 PM
I've seen your Pic several times threedogs. Waiting till you have to put the muddy flat wheel inside... :p

Plenty of people put a second spare on the roof. Works, but terrible spot. Yes it's roughly 1m higher than the back door, but the 1x higher CoG affects it 5x worse (ok, the exact statistic is made up, but the higher you put something, the worse it is)

Bloodyaussie
28th May 2013, 10:17 PM
I've seen your Pic several times threedogs. Waiting till you have to put the muddy flat wheel inside... :p

Plenty of people put a second spare on the roof. Works, but terrible spot. Yes it's roughly 1m higher than the back door, but the 1x higher CoG affects it 5x worse (ok, the exact statistic is made up, but the higher you put something, the worse it is)

Thats bloody Toyota drivers as there spare is under the car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P4trol
28th May 2013, 10:20 PM
That's why they often put one on the roof too. Hedging their bets both way (in case they roll over)

gbab01
28th May 2013, 11:15 PM
If you do decide to go the roof option Black Widow make a tyre strap which is a ratchet strap with three hooks. Works really well and quick. I have stuffed around with two separate straps in the past and these Black Widow jobs have it all over them. Got it from TJM.

4X4MUD
29th May 2013, 10:58 PM
If you do decide to go the roof option Black Widow make a tyre strap which is a ratchet strap with three hooks. Works really well and quick. I have stuffed around with two separate straps in the past and these Black Widow jobs have it all over them. Got it from TJM.

Thanks for that champ... I will look into it

threedogs
30th May 2013, 11:46 AM
Not worried about putting muddy wheel back inside, thats why the rubber flooring. Young and fit I had no trouble getting wheel/tyre combo on our Cape trip.
Would not like to do it half way across the Simmo, un even footing, hurt your back out there and you're in for a very long painfull drive. I have been working on a solution for Two years now,
And think I may have finally got it, just needs to be universal in its application to any 4x4 thats where problem lies.

If you're doing an outback trip why not just take spare tyres no rim, easy enough to change onto rims. Probably be looking for a break when/if you get a flat anyway.
If nissan anything like Tojo's back door hinges are a weak point, thats why I removed weight off the door. tojo want $350 each so thinking Nissan
would be more.
Should have bugger all weight on the roof rack,

P4trol
30th May 2013, 12:55 PM
* and it wouldn't hurt to 'practice' beforehand the said tyre change on/off rim.

BillsGU
30th May 2013, 01:23 PM
Anyone that reckons its "easy" to change a 4WD tyre with hand tools has only watched someone else do it!!!!

BigRAWesty
30th May 2013, 01:57 PM
Anyone that reckons its "easy" to change a 4WD tyre with hand tools has only watched someone else do it!!!!

No, someone who says its easy to do a 4x4 tyres has obviously changed a few truck tyres..
Give me a flat on the trol any day.. and shove those spider rims where the sun don't shine.. alloys are a little better...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
30th May 2013, 02:22 PM
Guy in Cooktown did two off rim tyre replacements for us in less than 10 minutes with only rubber mallet and 3 levers and bare foot too
We bowed in awe at this guy, ledgend,,,,

4X4MUD
31st May 2013, 06:07 AM
Guy in Cooktown did two off rim tyre replacements for us in less than 10 minutes with only rubber mallet and 3 levers and bare foot too
We bowed in awe at this guy, ledgend,,,,

Thats what you call a bloke who's got talent

Gecko17
2nd June 2013, 08:31 AM
I believe you can get a jerrycan holder bracket that bolts on to the spare wheel bracket..... Similar to the hi-lift jack holder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

P4trol
2nd June 2013, 10:25 AM
Is that instead of the spare wheel?

Gecko17
2nd June 2013, 10:27 PM
No... It bolts over the wheel carrier studs, although you can, if you have a duel wheel carrier, use one side for the jerrycan and the other side for the spare....

Tank
3rd June 2013, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=Bloodyaussie;378733]
I am making my own rear wheel carrier and jerry can holder... the main expence for me is the swivels as I have been collecting the steel that I would need for a while now.[/QUOTE

Been thinking about this myself and then when I was down the coast this weekend I came across a bloke who made on and has used a trailer axle stub for the pivot, looked good worked well. He had just machined the flange of the hub

BillsGU
3rd June 2013, 10:16 AM
No... It bolts over the wheel carrier studs,

All that extra weight on your door hinges??!! Good luck ......................

threedogs
3rd June 2013, 10:35 AM
Something like this is till maybe 25kg of weight on the door
Easy as to do rear bar if you know your way around a welder.
pivots are only 6x4 trailer stub axles, Depending on needs a VHF antenna bracket
can be fabricated in as well. Pic is one that suits LR but no different just different mounting plate
IMO GQ would be easier than GU to make a rear bar for.

To fit ,remove wheel from door, fit the mount plate with stud pattern on door,then put wheel and wheel nuts on,
Then jerry can holder slides back against your tyre and tighten. Using this style you can make all manner of
attachments to suit your needs, I have axe, post hole shovel, extra 30mtr of cable. hi-lift, possibilities are endless.
I use towbar for Vice attatchment but rarely use it these days. Even that can be used for a spare wheel holder,a
decent pivot so you can lay it down to access the rear, made a few for club members over the years. Not my cup of tea,
but another option to think about and easy to make.

Gecko17
3rd June 2013, 11:05 PM
All that extra weight on your door hinges??!! Good luck ......................

Not on the door.... On the duel wheel carrier... Sorry, may not have explained myself properly.