PDA

View Full Version : GU front wheel bearing seals?????

saw13
27th May 2013, 10:52 PM
Need some advice if anybody can give, the front bearing seals which way do they go in? one side has the double lip seal nd the other side has a single lip that sticks out about 6mm,
i replaced them a couple of weeks ago (bearings and seals) as next month we are doing a trip to the cape,
i checked today for any play nd there was, aswell as hearing the sound of dry bearing again so i pulled the rotor off to check them, there to find the single lip half torn off, i had read on the net that the single lip of the seal faces the center of the diff (the pumkin) also read it goes the other way!!!
Is this the way its suppose to be fitted OR is the double lip side of the seal suppose to face the diff (pumkin) ?
ill be buying new seals tommorow nd start over i guess but wanting to make sure the direction is right,

thanks heaps in advance cheers....

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2013, 11:46 PM
The double lip and inner spring goes to the oil mate. Also note that they are very sensitive and need to be installed dead straight with a correct size seal die.

BearGUST
28th May 2013, 04:59 AM
The double lip and inner spring goes to the oil mate. Also note that they are very sensitive and need to be installed dead straight with a correct size seal die.

Spot on, I had one seal distorted by the tiniest amount and got water in. I found a diff pinion seal installer was the perfect size am haven't had a drama since.

MudRunnerTD
28th May 2013, 07:22 AM
Buy one of these sets, bargain and a great investment

AUTO-BEARING-RACE-SEAL-DRIVER-INSTALLER-SET-CAR-TOOL-KIT (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-UNIVERSAL-ALUMINIUM-AUTO-BEARING-RACE-SEAL-DRIVER-INSTALLER-SET-CAR-TOOL-KIT-/350584346430?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a074973e&_uhb=1)

saw13
28th May 2013, 04:05 PM
Ok thanks heaps lads appreciate the replies,
Ill put a pic up soon nd show u what happened with the seal, I have bought better quality this time around so fingers crossed lol