PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a dash switch

Cuppa
27th May 2013, 09:19 PM
I need some advice on how to wire up a switch I've bought. It's a Narva on/off illuminated switch (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221211824521?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649).

The fact that it has 5 terminals on the back has thrown me a bit

I want it to switch an appliance on/off, & to be illuminated to tell me when it's switched on. I also want it wired 'direct' to battery (bypassing ignition) so I can switch it on without needing the ignition to be turned on. Can I just connect a common negative to terminals 7 and 8, and a common positive to terminals 6 and 2, and simply not use terminal 3?

I would also be interested in gaining an understanding of how/why one might use all five terminals - i'm guessing it relates to using the switch only when ignition is on, but even if that is correct, I'm still not really sure where the different terminals would be connected to.

Cuppa

macca
27th May 2013, 09:28 PM
Might need to bridge the ground terminals 7 & 8 Also bridge 3 & 6 so light shows when switch is on, 3 also is your switched terminal connected to accesory cable, power from battery / source to 2
Thats what I would be doing.
Hope that works
Edit, the light marked dash might be seperate, could just use 8, 2 & 3

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2013, 09:29 PM
7&8 are a shared earth
6 is the illumination with your dash lights and 7 is its earth

2switches 3 and 8 is the earth for that side is the switch

2 switching circuits in the switch

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2013, 09:31 PM
No when 2 switches 3 it will illuminate the switch. You could leave 7 & 6 off if you don't want a dash light with your headlights

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2013, 09:39 PM
Just grabbed my phone as I have another wiring diagram for that switch that I drew a few weeks ago for another member

Here ya go cuppa

You should be able to adapt that diagram to your needs Cuppa

Cheers MR

Cuppa
27th May 2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks, I think I've got it.
Please look at my somewhat unconventional diagram below & confirm that I have indeed got it.
If I did want the switch to illuminate when the headlights are switched on, is it just a matter of finding the easiest to access dashlight source?

Cuppa

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2013, 11:37 PM
Not quite right. Swap 2 and 3 as 3 is the switchable circuit. 2 is constant.

Have a look at my diagram and delete the reverse circuit and replace your accessory.

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2013, 11:39 PM
If you wire it up using your diagram the big light on the switch will be on all the time regardless as to whether the switch is on or off....... I think????

Cuppa
28th May 2013, 12:15 AM
Thanks MR, got it.

Cuppa

Lancec2626
20th June 2013, 07:41 PM
Hi Cuppa,

Mudrunner is correct.

But your first picture shows exactly as it should be, although in my experience some switches ie some ebay carling switches will not be the same as a Narva switch. if you piggy back from switch to switch some thing may go wrong.

I learnt this the hard way and now i have one switch i have to replace for my rock lights.

One tip (its a simple one but is worth the effort) take your ash tray light wire and solder as many individual wires as you need to go to each switch. do the same with your earth. then tape it all up to make a nice tidy wiring loom. I had wires every where because i would add a new Acc every couple of months... I was running out of room real quick. Even if you have no use for any more switches make up the loom. It will save you time and frustration in the long run... for you or the next guy.

youll be stoked with the look if all switches are the same it will look great.

Cheers
Lance

NP99
21st June 2013, 02:33 PM
Now I know I chose the right career path and didn't become an auto sparky :)

sil3nt_dr3ams
24th June 2013, 12:48 AM
Just grabbed my phone as I have another wiring diagram for that switch that I drew a few weeks ago for another member

Here ya go cuppa

You should be able to adapt that diagram to your needs Cuppa

Cheers MR

Mate nice drawing, was just having a sticky beak at thread having a good diagram to work from is pretty much all the work done for you.

sil3nt_dr3ams
24th June 2013, 12:50 AM
Now I know I chose the right career path and didn't become an auto sparky :)

We can all be auto sparks with good diagrams,