PDA

View Full Version : GQ Rear Wheel Bearings Seals

mattsNP
26th May 2013, 03:08 PM
Hi all i am new to this Forum and have recently purchased a GQ Patrol TB42s LWB.

I had a leaking rear axle on the left hand side the diff oil was leaking past the seal into the bearing and out the grease seal onto the Calipers.

I need to get a roadworthy done so am repairing all that is needed as well as Brake Calipers the Slides where seized up and only one brake pad was doing most of the work and was worn a lot more then the other because of the seized caliper slides.

I have some photo's on the Axles were fitted with new bearings by a Diff Place in Melbourne Northern Suburbs. Bearings cost me $120 each per side. And used Nissan Seals and ORing.

nissannewby
26th May 2013, 05:18 PM
Were the bearing nuts already in that condition or is that how they came back from the diff shop?

Bloodyaussie
26th May 2013, 07:00 PM
Mate you need to head over to the intro section and say G'day and tell us a bit about yourself... Polite and all!!!!

mattsNP
26th May 2013, 07:32 PM
The wheel nuts were clean when removed from the axle i dont think bearing were ever changed before. It goes to show how important to have correct tools.

Bloodyaussie
26th May 2013, 08:08 PM
Yeah ok............???

nissannewby
26th May 2013, 08:22 PM
Were the bearing nuts already in that condition or is that how they came back from the diff shop?

I'm talking about the big nut which retains the bearing. I asked this question cos the nut is in a condition where proper tooling hasn't been used.

mattsNP
26th May 2013, 09:09 PM
Proper tools were not used i told the person that fitted the bearings there were metal particals in the grease and the nuts were damaged was told it was like this the nut's where damaged before. I will be looking into buying a socket tomorrow all i need is a press that can do the job mite have to modify my small home built one.The bearing cost me $260 Plus seals and was charged $150 to have them fitted.

mattsNP
26th May 2013, 09:10 PM
never again i am a qualified Fitter/Turner