PDA

View Full Version : Knocking when going over bumps

Parksy
25th May 2013, 06:44 PM
Hi all

I'm experiencing a knocking noise in the gq when going over bumpy terrain at speed(ie normal road driving). But I'm at a loss as to what it is. I've fitted new genuine radius arm bushes, diff end and chassis end, new shocks and springs, new spring seats, new swaybar bushes and links. Have been underneath and nipped every nut and bolt up, suspension wise.
The noise is worse when it's raining, so I'm starting to lean towards body mounts. Can these make knocking noises when going over bumps? I'd really like to knock this on the head as its abit unnerving.

Thanks all for viewing, much appreciated.

Andy

mudnut
25th May 2013, 07:12 PM
Did you change the panhard bar bushes. I have seen threads saying that they can split, and knock louder when wet.

Parksy
25th May 2013, 07:19 PM
Forgot to mention that its got a new tough dog panhard.

nissannewby
25th May 2013, 07:22 PM
Check your body mounts as well. They lose their integrity and can do what you describe.

Parksy
25th May 2013, 09:13 PM
Cheers. I did spray the body mounts on the right hand side with some silicon spray and funnily enough, it sounded exactly as it would in the wet. What usually fails with the body mounts? Could they just do with a re torque?

happygu
25th May 2013, 10:34 PM
Check for cracks in the inner guards that make knocking noises too.

I had that on my old GQ after spending three years up north.

Mic

Parksy
25th May 2013, 10:48 PM
Cheers mic, I have heard about the inner guards causing issues like this. Someone posted a write up with a fix ages ago, will have to see if I can find it.

nissannewby
25th May 2013, 10:54 PM
The rubber just gets tired and and then you get the contact you are feeling as they aren't cushioning it anymore. If it is your body mounts you may find if you fit a full set of new ones the body will sit up a little more

2.8PWR
29th May 2013, 02:03 PM
One of my mate's GQ had a snapped body bolt and made a knocking sound over bumps as you described

healy
29th May 2013, 02:13 PM
Have you checked the swaybar connections that was my issue with the knocking

aj_vmax
9th June 2013, 07:15 PM
hello I had the same thing with my gu and after going crazy fixing and looking for things it was the bulbar hitting the front 1/4 panel. hope this may help

Parksy
9th June 2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks all for the responses. I undid the front body mounts and shaved the crush tube down a little bit to give the rubber abit more "bite". Noise has dropped a tiny bit I think, but I'm not convinced. I think I will just buy a new set of mounts and replace them all.

Morton
9th June 2013, 09:46 PM
body mounts will be the issue, very common

Parksy
11th July 2013, 08:12 PM
Have ordered a new set of mounts, just wondering what everyone's experiences are with the captive bolts on the rear of the wagon? Everyone seems to hate them, but why? I've been hitting them with penetrant for the last month, knowing that eventually ill be undoing them.
How heavy is the actual body when it comes to lifting it? Can a regular trolley jack easily lift the body in order to
Remove the mounts?