PDA

View Full Version : What to do when your GU is not garaged for years and years?

jm2004
25th May 2013, 03:03 PM
Hi,

Arguably I may have been lucky that over the years I've always managed to park all the cars I've ever had in a garage (one car at a time, I'm not that rich :) ).

I'm planning to upgrade to a GU (new/near new), and may have to leave it parked outside. And I intend to keep this car for 10 years if not more (I'm only typically driving approx. 15,000km p.a.). So the questions to you all are:
1) How good is GU paint and finish in general especially if parked outside for that long?
2) What are the most common problems (rust prone areas etc). From my search there seems to be no specifically weak areas. Generally corners / places where water may stay longer are naturally more prone to rust. And seems Lanolin spray can help(?)
3) What can I do to reduce the "damage" (I live in Sydney and the place is not too close to the sea, to give you the kinds of weather the car will be subjected to).

Sharing of info, experience and advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

threedogs
25th May 2013, 03:12 PM
I park outside must admit not that fastidious but lately have been using that once a year car polish, thoroughly wash car apply as directed, apply again a month later.
Water beads up a beauty, now easier to keep clean, this stuff puts a coating over your Duco according to Supercheap ppl, Tried all the Mcguires and Mothers but with all mud
means waste of time IMO

paulyg
25th May 2013, 03:50 PM
Spend a bit of time on keeping it washed and polished and waxed, the outside will be fine.
Don't forget the inside, try to keep the sun out to stop the inside from fading.

Lonicus
26th May 2013, 05:47 AM
Have a look at C Quartz (http://www.waxit.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=50&Itemid=1). Guys that have tried it swear by it, long lasting and tough according to the blurb and reports back from users.

bill85
27th May 2013, 02:49 PM
how can you leave such a loving work horse [read 4wd nissan] out in the cold and rain, but if you must keep an eye on the roof. bird poo kills paint work in no time polish/wax does not matter.

Ronin
27th May 2013, 05:57 PM
another option is Opticoat 2. It adds another layer of clear coat to the paint.

Sent from my mobile.

paulyg
27th May 2013, 06:03 PM
Wax will help protect your paint from bird poo, but only if you do not leave it there to long.

vwace
29th May 2013, 10:20 PM
The best wax i have found to use on any car is ankor wax. Only needs to be applied once a year.

jm2004
1st June 2013, 02:29 PM
Quite a number of good ideas here, thanks very much all for the informative replies. I may need to clear up the back of the garage and might be able to still fit the Patrol under the roof at night. And sorry for the late reply, having been interstate earlier this week.

Cheers,

growler2058
1st June 2013, 02:37 PM
What to do when your GU is not garaged for years and years?

Buy a GQ :)

Drew
1st June 2013, 06:16 PM
The previous owners for ours lived in the dandenongs and there was moss growing on the rubber etc so hopefully you won't need to worry about that

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

P4trol
1st June 2013, 09:51 PM
Gu1s at least (and I can't see why it wouldn't affect others in the series unless they upped their treatment of the bare metal) have a problem under the seal above the back door. The dust collects, then the moisture hangs around.

There is something to be said for a garage, even a carport. Without it you can wash every week, and the condition of the car seems to get worse.