PDA

View Full Version : Can a flat battery effect automatic transmission???

Scottyc
24th May 2013, 02:38 PM
Hi all,

A bit of a weird question from me, here's the scenario: I left my 4.8 auto with the valet at the airport as I had a week long trip overseas. when I picked the car up, the valet advised they had been unable to start the car after I dropped it off, had jumped it and parked it where it was when I collected. Prior to that, it had been 100%, battery was new in October last year.
I of course, needed a jump start when I left the airport. Immediately, I noticed the gear shifts were REALLY harsh - a very solid shunt when shifting up or down in all gears unless the car was coasting (not accelerating or engine braking).
The battery is completely dead - showing 0 volts on the multimeter and expected to be replaced under warranty so the trip was running on the alternator alone - I was able to use the semi-auto to keep it in 3rd to get it somewhere I could leave it until I could sort the battery which will need to be this weekend but hoping someone might have seen this before and can tell me it is the battery and that I wont be spending my day tomorrow trying to organise towing/transmission mechanics etc....

NP99
24th May 2013, 03:45 PM
Here is a wild guess, but the ecu needs power to do its thing and communicate with the various components. Maybe the ecu talks to the auto and the lack of power is causing this. A new battery maybe the simple answer!

threedogs
24th May 2013, 03:49 PM
May need to disconnect battery for 1/2 hr to re set a few things.
Give battery a good charge or get it load tested, if all that fails
off to battery world or similar

Scottyc
24th May 2013, 06:01 PM
Cheers, the battery is dead - ie after half an hour running, turn the car off and there's not even power to display the odometer. I actually bought this one from Battery World in Coffs Harbour on a trip last year. Spoke to them earlier and they have arranged for my proof of purchase to be sent to the local branch and I'll get it replaced tomorrow. Outstanding service (Well, service we used to expect in the past before mass retailers and internet purchased became the norm). Fingers crossed it'll do the trick but I'll let y'all know.

Scottyc
25th May 2013, 05:33 PM
Got a new battery fitted today under warranty and shift is back to normal. Phew!

Thanks for the advice guys.

NP99
25th May 2013, 05:40 PM
Good to hear mate :)