PDA

View Full Version : End of an Era..

BigRAWesty
24th May 2013, 06:10 AM
Well its official, ford will stop producing in Australia come 2016.. I knew it was coming, but still sad to see..

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/end-of-an-era-for-was-ford-lovers-20130523-2k3y6.html

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MEGOMONSTER
24th May 2013, 06:58 AM
Extremely sad. Worst part is that it hurts a lot of people/companies down the food chain of car manufacturing.
Now, who's going to build the famous Australian Ford Falcon, hah the Americans, I think not, last time they sent a car here was the Taurus and we all know how ugly they were.

macca
24th May 2013, 07:12 AM
When my Dad was a young man it took many years income to buy a new car, now you can buy a new car for $15k some earn that in 3 months or less.

I know its not comparing a Falcon to a Hyundai / Mitsi / Toyota etc but the foriegn manufactured item is so competitive with great warrantees, fuel economy, style, comfort, features etc.

We have bought Falcons with 2 year / 100k warrantee, my daughter bought a Getz with 3y / unlimited k. Did make them look silly. Her Getz is 7 years old now and has never had a claim.....

It is sad to see the big Ford go, but the cost of producing it is too high for Aussie buyers so the axe is falling.

BigRAWesty
24th May 2013, 07:57 AM
Yea its is sad, but nothing is made to last these days. The gets at 12g, if you pop a piston or gear box, turf the whole thing ans buy new..

As the bloke said in the article, watch the collection pieces go threw the roof.
My mate has a limited edition tickford ef wagon. One of 200 I think the run was.. only 160,000 on the clock and immaculate condition.. he's on a small gold mine there...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Winnie
24th May 2013, 08:00 AM
Yea its is sad, but nothing is made to last these days. The gets at 12g, if you pop a piston or gear box, turf the whole thing ans buy new..

As the bloke said in the article, watch the collection pieces go threw the roof.
My mate has a limited edition tickford ef wagon. One of 200 I think the run was.. only 160,000 on the clock and immaculate condition.. he's on a small gold mine there...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

I've got a Peter Brock edition NA Fairlane... One of about 30

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

my third 256
24th May 2013, 08:15 AM
ford went down hill the day they stopped selling the rebadged patrol

Bloodyaussie
24th May 2013, 08:16 AM
Sad days indeed.. my father inlaw worked there and my wife still is involved in car manurfacturing through parts.

Knew the day was coming but when it does come it is always a shock.

threedogs
24th May 2013, 08:59 AM
Whenever you drive by the factory, look at the roof at all the Stacks,[chimneys]
Threedogs help put every one there. Something to tell the Grandkids hey.
Contracted there and Holden for years while back now, oh the stories
I feel for the companies down the food chain, lots have brought houses north in Craigeburn
so that may turn into a ghost town as well as there is nothing North of Melb that can employ
that many ppl. Then there is Geelong good old Sleepy Hollow

TPC
24th May 2013, 09:07 AM
The writing is on the wall for Holden's too, they have said they are committed to Australia until 2022 but its just going to get harder for them to compete.

threedogs
24th May 2013, 09:20 AM
Heres a Question , Did FORD actually make a shaker XYGT ute or was it a sub division company.??

Alitis007
24th May 2013, 10:13 AM
Sad to see it come to an end, they might have had a chance if they tried to export the falcon instead of import crap cars like the focus. Holden on the other hand has been exporting cars since the VB commo, badging them Vauxhal in the UK and Opel in Europe i remember seeing a 4cyl vb wagon in Greece when i was around 11 lol.

Heres a Question , Did FORD actually make a shaker XYGT ute or was it a sub division company.??

Ford never made GT utes till the BA mate, all the utes you see with GT options where slapped together by the owners.

Heres a fact for you, all GT spoilers and shakers where made from stainless steel and the bonnet flutes and lock down pins from hi quality alloys! And all Ford shells made upto the EA where left in bare metal in the weather until they where put back onto the production line to be sprayed and assembled hence why they are all full of rust!!

threedogs
24th May 2013, 10:23 AM
I know all that as I contracted to them for years, But a few utes were made by the Ford Exects ,same as colour a few black with white stripe were made, mate ordered one but it was in Darwin, couldn't wait so bought the Vermillion fire one .Mate brought a brand new XYGT $4300, Alloy shaker and spoiler as stated,
Radio antenna had square base as they were Mustang antenna, my era loved it, fuel only 15cent a ltre I would think
took us 36 hrs driving time to Perth nulla was dirt then
@ Alitis other way around George Pin for bonnet etc were Stainless I know as Lifted mates bonnet heaps of time and 100% certain shaker and rear spoiler were Alloy
cowcatcher very poor quality and broke all the time, especially hitting rabbits on way to the Flinders Range

Alitis007
24th May 2013, 10:33 AM
Thats just optioned TD or specially ordered like the Phase 4 or more commonly known as the XA RPO, 3 of which where made and badged RPO and 1 HO all made with left over XY GT HO parts.

I'm not a Ford man but my brother is
His project XB Fairmont with GT/GS options but is 1 of 6 made in Banana blush. Not as valuable as a HO but still 1 of 6 in that color!!!

Alitis007
24th May 2013, 10:39 AM
@ Alitis other way around George Pin for bonnet etc were Stainless I know as Lifted mates bonnet heaps of time and 100% certain shaker and rear spoiler were Alloy
cowcatcher very poor quality and broke all the time, especially hitting rabbits on way to the Flinders Range

On the XB was the way i said mate, my bro has 2 sets of pins 4 flutes, a original GT bonnet with the cups for the pin moulded into the bonnet and a GS bonnet ( no pins). XW and XY never where factory fitted with bonnet pins!!

He also has an original front plastic 3 piece spoiler aswell...

Lonicus
24th May 2013, 11:30 AM
I believe Ford had arranged to export the Territory to Indonesia, I think, and as soon as the ink was dry an 80% import tariff was slapped on, killing the market.

Australia has more different brands of cars than both the US and EU. It seems we can really only have one of two things here, a local car manufacturing industry OR cheap imported cars (not cheap brands, but imports sold cheaply), we can't afford both indefinitely.

It's much the same as everything at the moment, even housing. You can buy an older, well built house or a shiny new one made using sub-standard materials and slapped together well enough to, hopefully, last until the 12 month warranty runs out. People generally go for the shiny new one.

threedogs
24th May 2013, 11:44 AM
Dropped off GTs after the XY , think after that they stopped the sell 500 rule for Bathurst, never ever heard of the term RPO
Same like the Johnnie Goss and Cobra specials just Speced up Fairmonts IMO, but I'm a Ford man.
Was at Bathurst on the hill under Castrol tower when Brownie rolled his HO along the Armco. was also there at the 1-2 finish be it over lubricated at the time.
My hero was Murray Carter, Alan Moffat, Frenchie, but fan of all the racers of that era, even a little up start called Peter Brock in his XU1.
Win on Sunday buy on monday

@ Lonicas I believe you can get 3 Navara D40 , Spanish?, mexico? and China/japan?, all chassis are slightly different as I get calls all the time over it
Start collecting Fords

PMC
24th May 2013, 01:22 PM
G'day folk's,

It was only over 70 years ago that world war 2 broke out and the terrible carnage that was bought onto our world by the Germany and Japanese forces. If must be remembered that these two enemies had state of the art manufacturing industries before declaring war on the world.

If Australia loses it' manufacturing capabilities over the next 20 years, i really do fear for Australia's security and the safety of its people in the next 50 years.

Regards,

RLI

patrolmq
24th May 2013, 01:28 PM
When my Dad was a young man it took many years income to buy a new car, now you can buy a new car for $15k some earn that in 3 months or less.

I know its not comparing a Falcon to a Hyundai / Mitsi / Toyota etc but the foriegn manufactured item is so competitive with great warrantees, fuel economy, style, comfort, features etc.

Do you mean a car back then cost many times his annual income or it took years to save his disposable income for a new car? Because even earning $15k in 3 months now, most of that will go on living costs.

The strong dollar means importers can import foreign cars cheaper and make them more competitive.

jack
24th May 2013, 02:55 PM
Always been a Ford fan, have owned heaps of Cortinas and Falcons and sad to see them close down. Last three cars have been NISSANs.
Have a quick think, how many can quickly recall the last 10 Australian made products they have purchased? Don't include foodstuffs etc. and don't name them here - don't want to hijack the thread.

macca
24th May 2013, 03:06 PM
Do you mean a car back then cost many times his annual income or it took years to save his disposable income for a new car? Because even earning $15k in 3 months now, most of that will go on living costs.

The strong dollar means importers can import foreign cars cheaper and make them more competitive.

He might have earnt 1000 pound a year and a car was 2000 pound thats what he meant, today if someone was on $60000 a year a quater years pay could see them in a new car. Only camparing to annual income.

NP99
24th May 2013, 03:41 PM
How much tax money has been thrown at the big 2 ????

jack
24th May 2013, 03:48 PM
How much tax money has been thrown at the big 2 ????
Heaps, but it didn't stop the inevitable. Ford even knocked back more from the Vic government, you could see it was just a matter of time unfortunately. Good opportunity to develop the new port at Geelong as most of the infrastructure is in place and the bay has been dredged already. Cheaper than going to Hastings, but then it's a government decision and I'm getting into that one.

threedogs
24th May 2013, 03:52 PM
Hmmm Might have to re think Bathurst and pledge any future alliegance to Nissan, go the Kelly Bros, YUK

taslucas
24th May 2013, 03:59 PM
Hmmm Might have to re think Bathurst and pledge any future alliegance to Nissan, go the Kelly Bros, YUK

I do like jack Daniels though :-)

Stropp
24th May 2013, 04:25 PM
its ok you can go to bathurst and see some big yank pos sliding around the corners unless they race a mondeo. bad news and particularly bad for those of us who have a rarer ford v8 that ford dont even know they made now, whats it going to be like in 10yrs. Also very bad for all those effected by the closure not only those that work for ford.

taslucas
24th May 2013, 06:36 PM
I suppose its like a lot of things theses days. We are all quick to complain about diminishing jobs and industry in Australia but quite often only have ourselves to blame. I just heard on the radio that only %13 of cars sold in Australia are Australian made.
Shop locally guys n gals:)

Winnie
24th May 2013, 06:48 PM
Saw this post on bookface today:
"Job loses, waste of tax payers billions and no regret? Thanks ford (and holden, soon to follow) for absolutely f**k all... Hope you enjoy that $2 billion of taxpayers money and leaving all your loyal employees in the dark."

The guy who wrote that drives a Hyundai Getz.

mudnut
24th May 2013, 07:45 PM
Most of my family are close to or over six feet tall, and the others will probably get to at least 5' 11'. Not many vehicles made in Australia come close to carrying us comfortably and safely. Maybe our manufacturers should have had a bigger range of vehicles to choose from. Saying that, I have never bought a new car in my life. I used to love driving my XB Falcon, simple, powerful and big.

Coldcomfort
25th May 2013, 12:18 PM
Back in 2006 I bought a GT-P. Drove the competition and decided that the GT-P was by far the best high speed tourer. We had open speed limits back then. The GT-P is quieter, more stable and more predictable than the other brands..... (holden and chrysler). Its very sad that the better car has to be the first to go.... Advertising to the bogan hoards must have alot to do with it.

taslucas
25th May 2013, 12:35 PM
Saw this post on bookface today:
"Job loses, waste of tax payers billions and no regret? Thanks ford (and holden, soon to follow) for absolutely f**k all... Hope you enjoy that $2 billion of taxpayers money and leaving all your loyal employees in the dark."

The guy who wrote that drives a Hyundai Getz.

Unfortunately thats a perfect example of level of intelligence of some people:(

Most of my family are close to or over six feet tall, and the others will probably get to at least 5' 11'. Not many vehicles made in Australia come close to carrying us comfortably and safely. Maybe our manufacturers should have had a bigger range of vehicles to choose from.

Are you talking about sedans? I would have thought the commodore and falcon would be the bigger of the sedans sold in Aus?

Back in 2006 I bought a GT-P. Drove the competition and decided that the GT-P was by far the best high speed tourer. We had open speed limits back then. The GT-P is quieter, more stable and more predictable than the other brands..... (holden and chrysler). Its very sad that the better car has to be the first to go.... Advertising to the bogan hoards must have alot to do with it.

Thats so true.

mudnut
25th May 2013, 08:39 PM
I'm talking vehicles in general. Our van has the extra legroom behind the engine hump. One big reason we got the Trol is because it has the third row seats.

Irish
25th May 2013, 11:12 PM
Most of my family are close to or over six feet tall, and the others will probably get to at least 5' 11'. Not many vehicles made in Australia come close to carrying us comfortably and safely. Maybe our manufacturers should have had a bigger range of vehicles to choose from. Saying that, I have never bought a new car in my life. I used to love driving my XB Falcon, simple, powerful and big.

Me too mate.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/Irishpete/OGpics/beast.jpg

Alitis007
26th May 2013, 12:21 AM
Me too mate.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/Irishpete/OGpics/beast.jpg

Is that a pop up sunroof or wind back ??

Irish
26th May 2013, 08:34 AM
Pop up mate.

Winnie
26th May 2013, 09:52 AM
Do you still have that Pete?

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Irish
26th May 2013, 10:52 AM
Nah mate, sold her a few years ago.

mudnut
26th May 2013, 04:11 PM
Spewing now. The bloody things are starting to drag in the big bucks. I sold my V8 XW Fairmont for $650. After living on the coast, it was holier than a church, but the mechanicals were in good nick.

Alitis007
26th May 2013, 07:12 PM
All the HO's are pulling in the $$ but NOS parts or good condition parts pull in good money aswell , for e.g. each XB door can pull in $1000 each.

I have a '76 celica that i bought when i was 14 and while i was at trade school i kept getting offers for 4g's

GUtsy ute
26th May 2013, 08:23 PM
A few used parts here, a bit of a shrine to my favourite era of muscle cars.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af61/GUtsyute/GTParts001.jpg (http://s994.photobucket.com/user/GUtsyute/media/GTParts001.jpg.html)

taslucas
26th May 2013, 08:26 PM
Been doing a bit of badge popin' Gutsy? lol

growler2058
26th May 2013, 08:27 PM
Part of my inheritance Pa noice!
MmmXA grille

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

mudnut
26th May 2013, 08:33 PM
Globe mags would be worth a bit. I have a couple of twelve slotters, in poor nick laying around somewhere. I suppose Rare Spares make a lot the of original stuff unattractive these days. I think they make modern radios that look old, don't they?

GUtsy ute
26th May 2013, 08:46 PM
Been doing a bit of badge popin' Gutsy? lol

Swap meet and E- Bay trawling actually!

GUtsy ute
26th May 2013, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=mudnut;378047]Globe mags would be worth a bit. I have a couple of twelve slotters, in poor nick laying around somewhere. I suppose Rare Spares make a lot the of original stuff unattractive these days. I think they make modern radios that look old, don't they?

Globe mags aren't the genuine item, they are CSA copies, still look the goods though.

Alitis007
26th May 2013, 08:50 PM
A few used parts here, a bit of a shrine to my favourite era of muscle cars.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af61/GUtsyute/GTParts001.jpg (http://s994.photobucket.com/user/GUtsyute/media/GTParts001.jpg.html)

Theres a couple of g's in grills alone mate, better than any term deposit too!

GUtsy ute
26th May 2013, 08:50 PM
Part of my inheritance Pa noice!
MmmXA grille

If you are a good boy, I'll leave you the XA hardtop tail lights as well!!LOL

growler2058
26th May 2013, 09:06 PM
If you are a good boy, I'll leave you the XA hardtop tail lights as well!!LOL

Not being greedy but I'd prefer the car they came off ;)

taslucas
26th May 2013, 09:13 PM
I know nothing of these vehicles but this on seems a good price?:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/penguin/cars-vans-utes/xc-falcon-sedan/1020366101

GUtsy ute
26th May 2013, 09:30 PM
I know nothing of these vehicles but this on seems a good price?:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/penguin/cars-vans-utes/xc-falcon-sedan/1020366101

Even with a six in it, if the body is reasonable it would be better than super, IMHO..

taslucas
26th May 2013, 09:36 PM
4.1lt is an 8 isnt it?

GUtsy ute
26th May 2013, 09:44 PM
4.1lt is an 8 isnt it?

No, 4.1 is a six, 4.9 or 5.8 are the 8,s.

Irish
26th May 2013, 10:06 PM
Yup, 4.9(302) and 5.8(351) were the bent 8's.

I've still got a box full of 302 bits in the shed if anyone wants em by the way.

Alitis007
26th May 2013, 10:14 PM
351 Windsors are sort after by mustang guys and are hard revers the

Irish
26th May 2013, 10:18 PM
Pffft, keep your windsor, Clevo forever!!!!!!

2v for low down torque, 4v for outright powahhhh. A lot of drag racers used to run mental 4v Clevos

Edit: Yes I know about the Cleveland oil starvation issue(bloody mechanics)

Alitis007
26th May 2013, 10:24 PM
Bah! 351 windsors are small and fit in between the towers of the small mustangs and XP, XM falcons, 2v's need bigger valves to do anything special, 4v's are great to drive at high revs coz they breath that way but are crap down low with alot of overlap. If i liked Fords i'd have a 427 side oiler, but thats just me lol

Alitis007
26th May 2013, 10:25 PM
All they need is reeds in the galleries so when you bend a push rod they don't bleed out the oil pressure and blow the bottom end lol

mudnut
26th May 2013, 11:05 PM
My standard 302 Windsor used to blow the doors off any standard 302 Cleveland.

Alitis007
26th May 2013, 11:45 PM
Was it the 302 windsor or clevo that used to throw rods? I always forget which one lol

Heres a mates XW
Its only got 550bhp on pump fuel, but his cousin has a Capri that has got about 720bhp, they built twin motors ( all internals identical ) but the only difference is the Capri has a AVgas carby....