PDA

View Full Version : Got my GU, annoying door switch problem

Hodge
23rd May 2013, 08:43 PM
Hey folks, picked up my 2009 GU ST wagon this morning. Half way home, door open light popped up on the dash. All doors were 100% shut. Got home tried pushing in all switches manually one by one. None of them seemed to set off the light on dash and/or the interior light. Very annoying. Dealer reckons he didn't have that issue or see it at all.
I know it's most likely a rooted switch on one of the doors, but anyone had such issues? It's just annoying not knowing which door/switch it is.

happygu
23rd May 2013, 08:46 PM
It will be one of the rear doors....

Place a couple of washers under the small door switch and see if that fixes it, but sometimes it is the big door.

Mic

gaddy
23rd May 2013, 08:48 PM
X2 mine gives the odd flicker every now and than

Steve

Hodge
23rd May 2013, 08:49 PM
See this is why I love forums... Almost instant problem solving replies by knowledgeable people. Mic I owe you one. The fact that it could be one of the rear doors never crossed my mind, as I didnt think there was a switch back there. Cheers mate!

NP99
23rd May 2013, 09:30 PM
See this is why I love forums... Almost instant problem solving replies by knowledgeable people. Mic I owe you one. The fact that it could be one of the rear doors never crossed my mind, as I didnt think there was a switch back there. Cheers mate!

It's on the small rear door on the lower closing side.

happygu
23rd May 2013, 10:13 PM
It is a very common problem with GU's, especially with bigger tyres on the rear door ...I have had it with 2 out of 4 of mine......

Mic

Hodge
24th May 2013, 06:18 PM
Yup, checked it today definitely the left rear (smaller) door switch. Thanks folks. Just seems like the switch is spaced too far into the door.

Country_GU
24th May 2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah get a magnet, cut two peices off it and stuck them one on the other where the switch strikes, fixed mine, 5c (maybe even free) fix

ben 4.2td
24th May 2013, 07:39 PM
I have the same problem, but it is the larger door, even though it is shut properly. I usually open it again and slam it hard and it fixes the problem, but will look at fixing it properly now are reading the above advice

NP99
24th May 2013, 08:14 PM
I have the same problem, but it is the larger door, even though it is shut properly. I usually open it again and slam it hard and it fixes the problem, but will look at fixing it properly now are reading the above advice

Careful when slamming, it can do damage to the horizontal cracking along the latch inside near the window. Hope that make sense.

Lowie
24th May 2013, 08:51 PM
LOL, welcome to our world Hodge! Nothing like driving around town with the interior going off like an 80's disco :-). I tried the magnet, worked for a while but started flashing again recently (might even try two magnets). Called the local Nissan dealer - $30+ for a new switch AND $30+ for the rubber boot...Daylight robbery. I'm going ot the wreckers and get one out of a front or rear door for $5 to try.

NP99
24th May 2013, 09:16 PM
LOL, welcome to our world Hodge! Nothing like driving around town with the interior going off like an 80's disco :-). I tried the magnet, worked for a while but started flashing again recently (might even try two magnets). Called the local Nissan dealer - $30+ for a new switch AND $30+ for the rubber boot...Daylight robbery. I'm going ot the wreckers and get one out of a front or rear door for $5 to try.

At those prices there won't be too much stock moving off the shelf!!!

Lowie
24th May 2013, 09:22 PM
Reckon so, nearly chocked on my wheeties when he gave me the price. Told him I didn't want to buy a full set!

Hodge
26th May 2013, 01:21 PM
Fixed mine up last night actually. Realized my switch is just not being pushed in enough, hence the magnet trick someone mentioned. But all I done was take the switch out, take the rubber boot off the switch and I put a bit of plastic (can use anything) at the bottom of the deeper part of the boot where the actually switch piston slides into. This makes the switch being pushed in further than usualy once door shuts and works like a charm.
And Lowie, I asked nissan about the switch, and gave the guy a good laugh when he told me the price. lol

Hodge
13th July 2013, 04:20 PM
Resurrecting this old thread.
OK this problem is haunting me again. Tested all switches and no bingo.
Mate of mine reckons there is a hidden switch behind the trim on the large rear door. Could somebody clarify this before I begin pulling the door apart.

Yendor
13th July 2013, 05:07 PM
Yes there is a switch for the large barn door.

Where is it located....not sure I would guess on the bottom locking mechanism within the large barn door.

The interior light coming on randomly is not normally caused be a faulty door switch.

It's normally an incorrectly adjusted door or a problem with a wire harness shorting to ground.

trekster
13th July 2013, 06:03 PM
Interesting there is a switch in the larger barn door, can't for the life of me think why as you always have to open the small one first, I know there is/was a switch on my small door, although I have a series one GU.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Yendor
13th July 2013, 06:18 PM
Interesting there is a switch in the larger barn door, can't for the life of me think why as you always have to open the small one first, I know there is/was a switch on my small door, although I have a series one GU.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Don't take my word on it, test it for yourself.

Open both barn doors, interior light will come on........ manually push the switch in the small barn door. What happens to the interior light?

Close the large barn door and then manually push the switch in the small barn door. What happens to the interior light?

Punderhead
13th July 2013, 06:20 PM
The Switch is on the larger door because you can close the small door when the big one isn't closed properly.

Cheers

Hodge
13th July 2013, 06:50 PM
So if this switch ends up being faulty I can get rid of it, as it is pretty much useless.

Edit: My problem at the moment is not a flickering dash light. The door open light on dash stays permanently on, and my interior lights are set to OFF because they don't go off, when all doors are shut, even when locked. So as above, all switches are tested apart from that hidden large one, which I didn't know existed until mate mentioned it this morning to me.

Yendor
13th July 2013, 07:01 PM
Yes, if your switch ends up being faulty you can just disconnect it.

Does your vehicle have an aftermarket alarm fitted?

Hodge
13th July 2013, 07:25 PM
Yes, if your switch ends up being faulty you can just disconnect it.

Does your vehicle have an aftermarket alarm fitted?

Nope it doesn't. Stock as rock.
Generally I wouldn't care, and the light on dash doesn't annoy me at all. It's the interior lights at night that are handy and I can't use them, unless I manually turn them off/on, and thus giving me a chance to forget to turn one off, and there goes the battery.

daggy
14th July 2013, 09:11 AM
I had similar problems a few weeks ago, interior lights and door dash light coming on and off. Very nearly pulled the car apart and was about to get expensive. Found a thread on here, pulled out the roof light bulb and reinstalled. All fixed. Seems the corrigation were enough to shift the bulb and cause a bad earth.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Motorculture mobile app

trekster
14th July 2013, 10:55 PM
Checked my series one today, no 2nd switch on the large door, checked all around it and couldn't see it, definitely did have one on small door though.... (maybe larger one was only in later models?)

Cheers.

Hodge
15th July 2013, 12:55 PM
OK folks, problem fixed!!!
Large rear, panel off, pair of wires going down to the bottom latch point, where the trigger switch seems to be. I messed around trying to fix so the switch initiates when door shuts, but in the end I just disconnected it as per the photo. Problem fixed!!
[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/ehouy5j/]http://imageshack.com/a/img521/1056/ouy5.jpg

Lemo79
15th July 2013, 09:28 PM
Great stuff, I had the trim off my door on Sunday to adjust the hinge and snapped a shot of the same plug for you. The switch appears to be in the latch. Can,t see that disconnecting it would be a prob, the little door switch is going to tell you if either are open.
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/danil14c/dd09549d5ba2499f981dd4fdec96b7ac_zps1ef09892.jpg
To little to late........

Hodge
15th July 2013, 09:37 PM
Great stuff, I had the trim off my door on Sunday to adjust the hinge and snapped a shot of the same plug for you. The switch appears to be in the latch. Can,t see that disconnecting it would be a prob, the little door switch is going to tell you if either are open.
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/danil14c/dd09549d5ba2499f981dd4fdec96b7ac_zps1ef09892.jpg
To little to late........

Many thanks for that. Yeh I had enough this morning and just went for it, so nice to jump in the car tonight and the light turns on when you open the door, and off when you shut it. Haven't had this function since buying this GU. lol

Evo
21st July 2013, 01:49 AM
Hey guys,

Bit late but I had a similar problem.
Was neither issue described.
Large door was shut, but the bottom wasn't completely shut, which didn't allow the smaller door to completely shut either.
Small bumps/corrugations, light intermittently coming on.
What made me really notice was interior light stayed on one night after locking car.
Turned out that the rear door needs to be shut properly and problem solved.

Evo