PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox install

jackal2828
23rd May 2013, 05:44 PM
Hello all , just a quick query got the gearbox going back into the GU TD42 and the main drive shaft won't line up with spline , clutch hasn't been out .
Worked out the box needed to rotate 60 deg clock wise but The top of the bell housing hits the floor and won't allow the shaft to go up and in ?

MudRunnerTD
23rd May 2013, 05:51 PM
consider belting the floor out of shape and then hit back into shape when your done. you will not notice it in the cab as its under the carpet.

Sure there a better way but thats what we did when we fitted Healys Gearbox back into his ZD30 for the same reason.

Bloodyaussie
23rd May 2013, 06:19 PM
Dont be scared to be forceful mate... sometimes it just needs to come back out a tiny bit turn the engine over a touch and then try again.. I did a big write up about it.. see if I can find it.

Here it is... http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14774-Clutch-DIY

jackal2828
23rd May 2013, 06:44 PM
I gave it a bit of a levering with a small pinch bar but didn't seem to do the job , just wondering if I jack the front of the engine up which should through the back down a bit .
Got my hand in there a felt the shaft only needs about half an inch lift and should allow the box to go forward

jackal2828
23rd May 2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks for that link for the clutch replacement to Aussie , I read that a couple of days ago been doing this one on my own and know its not an easy job nor should be undertaken on your own but got no Choice , had to weld up a duel v bracket which holds the box falling off the jack might get a pic for you and post it

MudRunnerTD
23rd May 2013, 07:15 PM
Nice Thread BA, Well done mate.

Bloodyaussie
23rd May 2013, 07:55 PM
Mate I cant say enough how impossible it would be to get this back in on your own?????

You need to have someone monipulate the front while someone keeps pressure at the back at the very least.... on nearly all occasions I have done this part with 3 people.

You can do it with 2 but 1 forget it?? plus very unsafe, please seek a helping hand mate!!

jackal2828
24th May 2013, 06:57 AM
Yes not the easiest of tasks BA but you gave me a good idea to make it a lot easier with the engine crane through the center console , got me bugged how you got three guys all under the vehicle at once plus a jack ! Sounds a little to cosy for me haha

jackal2828
24th May 2013, 07:05 AM
Tell me something else, the two top bolts to the bell housing to get them out I used three 1/2 inch extension bars coming from the back of the box and nearly bugged the bolt head up , which I have to replace .
Im guessing at some stage i will have to get back in there down the track so is there an easier way to get at them ?

Bloodyaussie
24th May 2013, 08:14 AM
Through the top mate were the gear change lever goes while the engine and gearbox are still tilted at an angle... need long extensions for ratchet .

these must be done before lifting the whole lot back up.

jackal2828
24th May 2013, 08:44 AM
Yeh thanks , that's the way I had to get onto the bolts when I pulled it out just thought there might be an easier way but being so tight and lack of space guess there's only one way .

Cheers ash .

Bloodyaussie
24th May 2013, 08:55 AM
If I was not so time poor mate I would give you a hand but I am under the pump at the moment... good luck with it and you can always get on here for advice... just make sure you give back a little in the way of getting involved in this community and sharing your experiance with this bloody huge and horrible effort??!!

jackal2828
24th May 2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the offer BA , found the guys on here are very helpful and more than eager to land a hand , im more than happy to return the favior plus get to know some of the guys and get out on the tracks .
Back into it this morning and got the little bugger in should be up and running today for test run , fingers crossed I rebuilt the box correctly .
Got a pic of the brace I welded to the jack which made things a lot safer and able to spin the box 60deg