PDA

View Full Version : So I Finally Bought A GU

Remmy
23rd May 2013, 04:25 PM
Hi All

So after months of looking I finally found a Patrol and I’m a very happy chappie with a smile from ear to ear. Must say that I was somewhat put off with the faults and exploding engine problem’s I was reading on the forums, but compared to what you get for your money-v-year from a Cruiser I couldn't justify the the extra dollars. I ended up getting a 01 GU ZD30ST that just had a new engine built by the guy who owned it (a mechanic) with photos and receipts and only 5000k after the rebuild on the clock. (So I’m told) Its not easy trying to find a Patrol, or any car, at the right price with all the extras you want so when I found this one I jumped on it straight away. After a good looking over and test drive it wasnt long before a price was agreed and cash changed hands. For its age its very clean and comes with Bull bar, Warn winch, 2” lift, aftermarket steering damper, bash plates, Cooper AT’s, roof bars and alloy cage, Bluetooth CD player, roof mounted DVD, UHF, pillar pod with pyro, boost and oil pressure Autometer gauges. Under the bonnet it has a catch can, Daws valve, dual isolated batteries and a 23/4 inch mandrel bent exhaust...... So far I'm as happy as a pig in poo and it’s been more than I expected on and off the blacktop over the last few weeks and has just received its very first bush pinstriping:smiley_thumbs_up:. It’s had a full service with help from a few enthusiastic friends (and the great info here on the forum) and a case. There are a few things I have to do, like change the bearing on the pulley tensioner that started letting off a squeal over the last few days, but for now I’m just enjoying the fun of it. I do have some questions on EGT’s and needle valves but I’m searching for the answer first.

Thanks for listening

Cheers

Remmy

PS: Wife has named it Willy (Free Willy) WTF
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/jasta70/538987_10151374488462543_248270099_n.jpg

maverick01
23rd May 2013, 04:48 PM
Nice looking truck mate.

I dont know much about the 3ltr but has it had the nads kit through it yet. If not it would be advised to do so.

Someone else will be able to correct me on what needs to be done to protect the new motor.

Beni C
23rd May 2013, 04:48 PM
Clean looking rig mate, nice!

MEGOMONSTER
23rd May 2013, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the patrol club, ain't nuffin better. Not much left to do. Nice rig.

Remmy
23rd May 2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks m8

Was told that the EGR has been blocked and has the catch can and Daws so Im just looking at the needle valve now.

Cheers

Remmy

threedogs
23rd May 2013, 07:18 PM
Wow scrolled down and wow, clean ride indeed. Cruising EGTs approx 300-350 C pushed
Will reach 550 plus. Boost wise , rule of thumb 10psi @ 2000rpm
PM Mudski about needle valves can't be too far away.

Think wife has issues Willy,,,,,,,,, willy what,,,,,,,willy Wonka,,,,,,,Willy Nilly,,,,,,,WTF

happygu
23rd May 2013, 07:21 PM
Looks pretty neat for its age.....

BigRAWesty
24th May 2013, 12:37 AM
Neat as. And buy your list the previous owner NAD'ed it for you..
Heaps of info on the dawns needle valves and how to adjust so have fun reading and even more fun out bush

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Stropp
24th May 2013, 01:04 AM
Your willy looks clean mate lol, lets not go there :) nice rig and it has been looked after I'd say, welcome along mate and enjoy the forum.

krbrooking
24th May 2013, 01:14 AM
Nice looking ride man welcome aboard.

Remmy
24th May 2013, 08:22 AM
I'm going to watch the EGT's over the weekend and do a search here, failing that ask questions. My wife names all modes of transport in the house... Commodore is Flo, pink ZX9R called Wilma ,its her's, and the Patrol is white and black so its Willy after Free Willy the killer whale.... yes I married a very unique woman, who calls me names too, but has let me indulge in my LED lightbar obsession fitting a 50 inch on the roof and the 20 inch on the bar pix to follow..

Thanks for the comments

Cheers

Remmy

Wow scrolled down and wow, clean ride indeed. Cruising EGTs approx 300-350 C pushed
Will reach 550 plus. Boost wise , rule of thumb 10psi @ 2000rpm
PM Mudski about needle valves can't be too far away.

Think wife has issues Willy,,,,,,,,, willy what,,,,,,,willy Wonka,,,,,,,Willy Nilly,,,,,,,WTF

mudski
24th May 2013, 05:46 PM
50 AND 20 inch light bar!! Wow! You will find a 40 inch is more than enough for the roof. 50inch I think is a tad too long, er, wide...

Lowie
24th May 2013, 08:59 PM
Nice rig. Could do with some decent pinstripes but... :-)