PDA

View Full Version : best service and mechnical centre

bugoutbuggy
23rd May 2013, 03:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a GQ Patrol in really good nick with about 145,000km on the clock. Its a manual 1996 model (carbureted) and was (according to the guy i bought it from) owned by an older couple who used it quite sparingly - makes sense given the km...Its running fine at the moment - it makes a small tapping sound when accelerating which has me a little worried but all in all it seems like a really good vehicle.

Naturally i'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible so i'm trying to get an idea of where to go for and experienced service as well as one thats reasonably priced.

I've got it booked into the local nissan dealership (based on moggil road in indooroopilly) but am always wary of dealerships as they tend to charge like wounded bulls when it comes to the most basic servicing - i've been quoted $300 for the basic service, not even sure what that covers...)

So my question is, does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced service centre that has experience with patrols and is based on the west side? most of the details ive read on this forum mention places that are a bit out of the way for me - driving to the east or north sides complicates things, plus i'd like to support a local business if anyone can recommend one.

threedogs
23rd May 2013, 03:20 PM
Give Matt [Nissnnewby} a PM would think only to happy to work on your Patrol.
I think he's in your area, all reports knows his stuff, very thorough not enough praise.

Parksy
23rd May 2013, 03:51 PM
Why not learn how to service it yourself. Oil change tutorials are readily available and not difficult at all. Being a 96 carbied engine I'm guessing its got the rb30 motor in it which as far as I know has a timing belt which needs changing roughly every 100000. Hopefully this got done 45k ago, but if you can find out, check to make sure it has.

bugoutbuggy
23rd May 2013, 04:04 PM
I'm actually in the process of learning how - i used to service my previous cars but only did minor things like oil changes, filters changes, replaced the odd part like a radiator n alternator (once) . I'm not very mechanically minded but i do try. I've already gotten the workshop manual with all the parts breakdowns and i'm reading up to try to figure out how to do it myself next time around. Essentially, i dont trust myself to get it right and given that I just bought it, i want someone qualified to give it a once over - there are things that i'd never pick up now that someone with a couple of years experience would... Its actually going to be a project car that i'm going to gradually modify and get into really solid off road shape, for now i just need an assessment of the mechanical state of the car, as well as a service.

The engine is the RB30 and from what i understand the timing belt was done at 104,000 - theres a service history that shows that it was completed a number of years ago.

Thanks for your prompt replies, theyre much appreciated :)

nissannewby
23rd May 2013, 04:46 PM
Where are you located bud?

bugoutbuggy
23rd May 2013, 05:56 PM
I'm based in indooroopilly but am happy to go anywhere on the west side. My car isn't a daily vehicle so no biggie if it needs to stay in a shop for a day or two

threedogs
23rd May 2013, 06:36 PM
Helps heap if you know what bit does what, you'll be fault finding in no time.
Look through the workshop manual ,ask questions here, not much not know by everyone
look through DIY sections, but please ask questions, gotta start somewhere.

mudnut
23rd May 2013, 07:22 PM
Check your exhaust manifold gasket. The rb30s like to snap the factory manifold studs, (or so I was told by the local exhaust guy). The sound of escaping gas some times mimmics sticky valve lifters. Failing that, might need a good engine oil cleaner/ flush run through it before you get it serviced.