PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here a building surveyor?

Irish
22nd May 2013, 08:17 PM
Hey guys,

In a bit of a quandry with the house we're trying to buy.

It turns out that the carport/undercover area has never had a building permit, so we could run into strife down the road with the council, insurance etc...

Have been told by the council that a retrospective building permit/cert can be applied for, and that we should go through a private building surveyor to do it?

Just wondering if anyone on here happens to be one and roughly what we'd be looking at in costs?

Cheers,

Pete

Lonicus
22nd May 2013, 09:11 PM
If it was me mate I'd be getting the current owners to get the permit sorted out. At worst the council could very well deny the permit and you'd have to knock it down. Either that, or ask for a reduction in the price equivalent to it not having a carport at all.

NissanGQ4.2
22nd May 2013, 09:57 PM
Sorry can't help you Pete, Good luck with it.

I had the same problem about 1 year ago when purchasing our house, the carport out the front was approved by council but after the owners built they never got council 2 come back out to finalise it. Our conveyancer arranged for council to come out 2 approve it, they were only meant to look at the carport and nothing in our backyard. they walked around the back of our property and seen our back carport off the garage..........that needs gutters........then seen the tin shed...........that needs gutters........

your kidding me right...nope they wanted gutters on a small tin shed with 4 metre drainage 600mm deep!

I asked about the front carport.....no problems there and will approve it once you have gutters on the back carport and shed.

Carport is still not council approved and the council has been advised by our conveyancer that the work has not been done. Conveyancer said to us it would be unlikely the council will tell us to pull it down and so far have not heard from them.

As Lonicus said ask for a reduction in the price equivalent to it not having a carport at all or take the risk with council

jack
22nd May 2013, 10:02 PM
Hi Irish,
Agree with Lonicus, my son had the exact same issue when he was purchasing his house. Ended getting the current owner to get it sorted first. But also had a mate in a similar situation who got a good discount then went on to sell the house a few years later without getting a permit. From memory his selling contract only asked if there were any modifications/additions in the last seven years.
Enjoy the new house.

MudRunnerTD
22nd May 2013, 11:45 PM
Send a pm to Plasnart. He is a Building Surveyor ;) and a bloody great bloke. He is not certified to sign it off but can give you the right advice mate.

Bloodyaussie
23rd May 2013, 08:15 AM
Brilliant.... yes Peter Plas is a top bloke and would not hesitate to help with advice.

Irish
23rd May 2013, 07:02 PM
Awesome MudRunner, thanks for that, will give him a shout.