PDA

View Full Version : Brake lights

lhurley
22nd May 2013, 08:17 PM
Hey patolers,

The other day when i was driving about i noticed my brake lights wheren't working. Thought nothing of it, changed the fuse and left it. Worked for a couple days but now they don't work again. The fuse didn't seem broken the other day, just looked old, put a new one in and they worked. I have my upper lights wired to so that's what i though was causing the the fuse to blow.

They died again, so today i had a play around with the fuses trying to get them to work again. All fuses are new and working. Thought that it might be a wiring issue, a cable worn through. Some of the wiring for the uppers had rubbed and was slightly damaged so i replaced it (drivers side only, passenger side still factory). Still nothing.
Started pocking around with the circuit tester, there isnt any power going to the peddle button (see pic). And now the brake lights come on when the headlights are turned on. I mean the brake lights not he driving lights.
I have checked all the wiring i could see, and have tested what i fixed up today, all seems to be good.

I dont know why it decided to happen now, i have had the upper wired for over 6 months now, and has been untouched since then. The only wiring i have done in the car other then the brake lights is a new headunit, and an auto temp gauge. Everything else is either factory or was there when i bought it.
Side note, i havent touched any electrics in months other then changing the fuse last week.

My finger is on the plug that has no power on either side.
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q498/lhurley11/82377cf8-adcd-425a-83f0-1f16a4c1c720.jpg (http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/lhurley11/media/82377cf8-adcd-425a-83f0-1f16a4c1c720.jpg.html)

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q498/lhurley11/ba705951-4244-45f3-af62-3c9172438d11.jpg (http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/lhurley11/media/ba705951-4244-45f3-af62-3c9172438d11.jpg.html)

Thanks for any help in advance

Yendor
22nd May 2013, 09:26 PM
Hey mate,

The switch you are pointing at with the blue connector is not for the stop lights. I think it's for the cruise control.

The stop light one should be the black connector that you can see in the top right corner of your second photo, the one with the two red crimps and two wires that look like they go down to the other silver switch.

I'm guessing someone has replaced the original stop light switch with that universal one and made some little bridge straps to go from the original connector to the new switch.

If the stop light fuse is not blown check that you have power in the Red with a Black trace wire (black connector) and you should have power in the Green with a Yellow trace wire (black connector) when the brake pedal is pressed.

Your brake lights coming on with the head lights will be another problem, possible something you did to the wiring today or a loose wire in the trailer plug or do you have LED bulbs fitted in the tail lights?

lhurley
23rd May 2013, 04:36 AM
There is power at that other plug. Will have to double check which wires but it was there.

The wiring I did was just adding Brake, Tail, Indicator and Earth, extensions from the lower lights. Would a crossed wire there affect the factory wiring on the passenger side and and factory wiring in the top door light??

I haven't touched the trailer lights, I did have a trailer on the other day tho. They are halogen bulbs in all the lights. I want LEDs, will that make a difference?

Yendor
23rd May 2013, 07:39 AM
There is power at that other plug. Will have to double check which wires but it was there.

The wiring I did was just adding Brake, Tail, Indicator and Earth, extensions from the lower lights. Would a crossed wire there affect the factory wiring on the passenger side and and factory wiring in the top door light??

Yes, If the stop light and tail light wires were shorted together or the wrong type of bulbs used.

I haven't touched the trailer lights, I did have a trailer on the other day tho. They are halogen bulbs in all the lights. I want LEDs, will that make a difference?

Some LEDs can cause a similar problem. You will need to fix this problem before fitting LEDs.

lhurley
23rd May 2013, 08:00 PM
All fixed now.

Turns out the brake peddle button was stuffed. It was a whooping $12 for a brand new one, factory plug.
The lights being all mixed up was my fault :p The liquid electrical tape stuff i used hadnt set properly and the two wires where touching.

Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

Cheers
Lachlan