PDA

View Full Version : what next after NADS

geoff77
22nd May 2013, 10:45 AM
Ok I am all set for NADS completion. I am also going to change the glow plugs + timer and clean out intake. So after this all should be sweet.
My question is what next....
Ideas on importance and staging of these upgrades to a 2002 GU diesel
1. Add fuel/water filter?
2. Exhaust upgrade?
3. Intercooler upgrade?
4. Turbo upgrade?
5. Radiator upgrade?
What order and so I can start doing more OT to save$:1087:$$:1087:$
Geoff

threedogs
22nd May 2013, 10:57 AM
Now you have guages set up, any mod like your IC,exhaust, can be done and monitored.
Not sure on the Turbo upgrade I'd be putting that money towards a front Diff lock.
How fast you think these ZD30s go? Radiator upgrade could wait unless towing all the tme.
Fuel/water sepperator has to be good anytime too

Latest theory here if it aint broke dont fix it, but upgrading is ok lol

geoff77
22nd May 2013, 11:41 AM
Just aiming to future proof the car, aiming to keep this one going for the kids. Yep, I work in health so keeping things clean as they go in always helps. So a fuel/filter was to be next. Ongoing services, and get myself a few new surfboards and find some uncroweded waves!

threedogs
22nd May 2013, 12:07 PM
Never got into surfing don't know why was forever at the beach ,Phillip island
Bells beack way, ended up under water ,,,,,,,,,diving,,,,,,,,,,,, wish I still did it

geoff77
22nd May 2013, 12:43 PM
2 things I miss about leaving WA, my GQ and the surf! - the big fish.. Only ever surfed bells and winki in surf comps, never as much fun. Now older finished the comp thing and my daughters learning, hopefully get down that way again.
So with the future to do...
I think I will do a fuel/water separator and also a snorkel. And just enjoy the vehicle, giving it good oil and regular filter changes. Consider the exhaust upgrade in a year or two.

mudski
22nd May 2013, 07:33 PM
Can't do anything with the turbo on these donks. At all. Anyway these turbos are good for more pressure than what the engine can handle so theres nothing to worry about there. It's just the shitting ECU management that is whats holding the turbo back of what its really capable of.
I'd really love to get a hold of Nissans ECU program they use and try to remap my 30 unitl it blows.
Then I can get a TD42T in her. :)
Nah! I'd love to get the program though.

geoff77
22nd May 2013, 10:06 PM
Question: with the fuel/water separator does this put added stress on the fuel pump? Looking at one with 30 micron filtering. If I put it as close as possible to stock fuel filter with minimal hose, should be minimal. Has anyone done this before and/or fabricated a bracket? I think a t with vertical piece for fuel/water welded to horizontal piece to fit with existing bolts on pump.

mudski
22nd May 2013, 10:30 PM
No extra stress mate. Its low Flow anyhow. What brand of filter setup are you looking at?

geoff77
22nd May 2013, 10:36 PM
Stanadyne. My uncle directed me to Western Filters and they sell these. He has used them and said they are great, diesel mech for life. Though he did tell me not to touch a GU!! He is a cruiser man...deep pockets!
Any other set ups worthy of looking at. They have a kit for a common rail, but I was only going to get the separator and work the rest out myself.