PDA

View Full Version : GU IV Mods - Advise required!

liveyk7
21st May 2013, 11:18 PM
Now that NADS is being covered on my other thread, have a few more questions for the Gurus out here!!

Exhaust - I am looking at replacing this. What is the best for the car/performance? Im not that worried about fuel if i can get all the POWER! as overtaking roadtrains, even smaller trucks is an absolute pain! (I come from a 2.5L 2012 Pathy and a G6E)
some say 2 3/4 inch some say 3 inch.. Any particular brands manufacturers?

Chip - Have been reading heaps about DP, Chip it, tunit, Chip express! more confusion! Which one?

Suspension - After hours of reading i decided to go for low cost, OK quality in Ironman Gas lifts and performance springs. If the load is heavier than 200kgs and starts sagging, ill get some air bags in the rear. Getting them in tomorrow. $942 fitted at everything4wd Cranbourne, VIC. they did say i will need to change the front springs if im getting a winch on, which i wont be right now.

Tyres - Dealer gave me 2 x cooper At's in the front and duravis at the back. I think they just passed roady! The spare is a BRAND NEW Cooper ST! totally not matching!
Also the tyres currently in are 265/70/17's though the car says on the glove box its 275/65/17's. So questions are
1) Which size is best for the car for performance?
2) which tyres? Quotes are as below. Load indexs too the yokos match perfectly.
265/70 BGF AT - $335 each F&B included
265/70 Cooper AT3 - $376 each F&B included
265/70 Yokohama GO12 Geolander AT - $302 each F&B included
275/65 Yokohama GO12 Geolander AT - $298 each F&B included
What i liked about the yokos are they have a road hazard program (http://www.yokohama.com.au/Footer/Tyre-Promotions/4x4-Road-Hazard-Program.aspx)
Will then sell the cooper spare in the back and use the current front tyres as the spares (they are coopers too)

ECUTALK?? - Is it necessary? handy to have?

Dual Battery system - Purchased a cheapo fridge (ThermoE), got roof lights, and need a 600W inverter, so i thought this is necessary. any reccos for System + Battery for my purpose? with the least maintenence?

Once again any advise/suggestions are much appreciated!

healy
21st May 2013, 11:30 PM
Try huntsman in braeside for tyres by far the cheapest place to get them in the southeast suburbs they fit and balance aswell. Redarc sbl12 for your dual batt set up and where are you fitting battery? Exhaust 3" is the way to go from what I've been told. If your getting a winch in the future save a dollar and put the heavier duty coils in now IMO

happygu
21st May 2013, 11:59 PM
Livey ,

You will find it hard to get a straight answer on exhausts, but my research has led me to the conclusion that 2.75 inch is the way to go.

The only one problem with that is the fact that there is only one manufacturer for 2.75 and plenty for 3 inch

Regarding tyres, do you want to go offroad, or are you mainly road based....

Mic

liveyk7
22nd May 2013, 12:03 AM
Try huntsman in braeside for tyres by far the cheapest place to get them in the southeast suburbs they fit and balance aswell. Redarc sbl12 for your dual batt set up and where are you fitting battery? Exhaust 3" is the way to go from what I've been told. If your getting a winch in the future save a dollar and put the heavier duty coils in now IMO

Hey heals
thanks mate!!
Will def try huntsman.. Battery will be in engine bay..
Re the winch and heavy coils.. wouldnt it be stiff if the heavier coils go in now and no winch? Its already pretty stiff therefore im doing the change.. my shoulders still ache after the last drive from maryborough, QLD!!! :)

liveyk7
22nd May 2013, 12:04 AM
Hey Mic,

yeah ive tried to search for suppliers for the 2.75 but didnt find much!!.. thats why the 3" seems to be the easier/cost effective way me thinks..

MudRunnerTD
22nd May 2013, 09:51 AM
Hey Mic,

yeah ive tried to search for suppliers for the 2.75 but didnt find much!!.. thats why the 3" seems to be the easier/cost effective way me thinks..

Have a look in the Vendors section here mate and Scott's Rods has recently joined the forum as a vendor and is doing great deals for members. He does great work and will ship to your location. Give him a call and tell him your from here.

Cheers MR

liveyk7
22nd May 2013, 10:19 AM
Hey MR

SENT them an email. Whats a cat on the exhaust? They had a few on the website. That price was very decent compared to what everything4wd quoted me on.

MudRunnerTD
22nd May 2013, 10:30 AM
Catalytic Converter. Anti Pollution requirement

threedogs
22nd May 2013, 10:32 AM
@ All Beaudesert do the 2.75" Zorst. great for the Common rail from reading.
Anything to help the motor breathe has to be good, but EGT and Boost first no ifs,and or buts.

Suspenion is usually, last talk to them when you finish modding, tell of any future mods that
you intend doing, plus where you intend going driving wise. Redarc great aussie product IMO

I run a DP chip on 5 as any higher it just blows black smoke and full 3" Zorst with "racing cat"
great salemanship. Don't think performance wise I'll get much more out of it, but very happy
Gotta be its a GU. lol

happygu
22nd May 2013, 10:36 AM
Lively,

You need to run the catalytic converter to be legal.

Some choose to run a straight exhaust without the cat, but i don't think it is worth the risk

Mic

Mikees
10th July 2013, 02:38 AM
3" is better to reduce EGTs. Don't base all your decisions on price. Compare design, materials, workmanship etc.