PDA

View Full Version : New GUIV owner. Lots of questions

liveyk7
21st May 2013, 07:41 PM
G'Day Patrol Gurus!
Warning : Long post and could be boring!

Here for some advice please.. am a bit confused regarding a bit of the NADS and a few other questions i have in building up my 2004 GU IV.
Its got 157K KMS on the clock.. Got the car at 152K KMS and did almost a full service.
Oil (Synthetic), Filter, air filter, front brake pads etc etc. cost me $600.
Before i ask any question i must say i am a complete idiot when it comes to mechanical/eletrical work on cars and the only thing i have ever done is change a tire once (to try it) I do know how to change a air filter and a fuse.. but i dont think i can manage anything else.
Also to note is i will be doing minimal offroading for now (new business to not much time for fun). But when i do goto QLD etc will do some beach driving just to try it out.
Some events require a bit of gravel driving inland but other than that no offroad at all. Just highway. unless a short cut is worth it on gravel!

I have got the EGR block done. This i am confident about. The rest

1) Dawes Valve - i got a turbosmart manual boost controller.
When we initially fitted it and set it to 14 PSI it was running ok. But when we increased it to 18 PSI it started cutting out and no power after about 90-100 km/h.
So had to disconnect it as i was driving to QLD the next day. I do load up the car on the long trips as they are for work mostly and a lot of equipment/gear in the back and a bit on the roof, therefore i wanted the bit of extra boost.
Questions are
is this the same as a dawves valve? If not what is the difference and should i change it? And what is the ideal boost limit to set?
2) Catch can - What size catch can should i install and how often is cleaning required? Can this cleaning be done by a complete noob like me? seen a 2L catch can on ebay and the supercheap version is only 500mls.
3) Pyro meter and boost gauge is in. Just need a POD. but the only pyro i could find was in farenheit from autobarn. On my last trip it was hitting 10-12 -00 Farenheit (530-640 C) on climbing hills etc. Is this ok? Also at 110-120 km/h it was hitting these figures too.

Have more questions but i think these are the most critical and others on another thread for ease of reading and answers!
Budget is also very tight, so hunting for best deals! or have to find a new place to live. :)

Pic of car currently https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rsj95ko759c48ba/NzR6WWBlkj

Your advise and assistance is much appreciated.

MudRunnerTD
21st May 2013, 08:02 PM
Hi mate.

Hap of questions there.

I recommend that you start more than 1 thread and ask the questions individually for a better response,

Look at Mickey Thompson ATZ 5 Rib for a great tyre to suit your needs.

I recommend that you buy a Celsius Pyro. Grab one off the net mate. It will drive you nuts.

I am not a ZD30 guy so others will sort you out for that. I have changed your thread title to get you more traffic .

New questions should go in other threads though or this one could get bogged down with too much or not enough info.

Good luck with your new car and your new business mate.

Limmy
21st May 2013, 08:14 PM
Hi mate! my car same as yours. just bought last monday . i work in rowville

Was the pyro guage hard to put in ? I want to get the NADs set up immediately

threedogs
21st May 2013, 08:23 PM
Both of you should get your EGT and boost guage fitted then read Chaz yellowfoots article regarding the Di ZD30
plenty of pics and a ton of info.

Need all 4 tyres with even wear you could do damage.

MudRunnerTD
21st May 2013, 08:24 PM
Both of you should get your EGT and boost guage fitted then read Chaz yellowfoots article regarding the Di ZD30
plenty of pics and a ton of info.

Have you got a link 3dogs for that article mate?

liveyk7
21st May 2013, 10:39 PM
Hi mate! my car same as yours. just bought last monday . i work in rowville

Was the pyro guage hard to put in ? I want to get the NADs set up immediately

Hey limmy
Mine was done by my electrician. Pretty shoddy job but I take blame as I rushed him into it 1 day before left for qld.
You can come around and have a look if you wish. I work from home so im here most times.
Ironman suspension going in tomorrow so ill be at everything4wd cranny whole day almost.

liveyk7
21st May 2013, 10:42 PM
Hey threedogs

I have read his article several times already but being the no pretty face or brains person I dont really get it.. and will have to rely on someome to do them for me.
Already spent $650 bucks in labor for a few other things and will have to fork out more I guess to get the others done.
Not also sure if the egr block has been done properly or not..

You wanna be my guardian angel and check em for me??? Whatdya drink johnny gold or green??? ;)

liveyk7
21st May 2013, 10:44 PM
MudrunnerTD - cheers mate. Will certainly break it up for clarity and effectiveness of responses. As you can see I am clearly incompetent with this stuff.

Clunk
21st May 2013, 11:22 PM
You'll get into the swing of it soon enough. If you don't get a response for a while just give your thread a bump as they can get buried very quickly and sometimes get missed..... Unfortunately I can't help with your questions

Don't slap it, tap it!!!!

Heinzy
23rd October 2015, 05:11 PM
I was the same mate, once you start quite easy

peterbr1
23rd October 2015, 05:58 PM
G'Day Patrol Gurus!
Warning : Long post and could be boring!

Here for some advice please.. am a bit confused regarding a bit of the NADS and a few other questions i have in building up my 2004 GU IV.
Its got 157K KMS on the clock.. Got the car at 152K KMS and did almost a full service.
Oil (Synthetic), Filter, air filter, front brake pads etc etc. cost me $600.
Before i ask any question i must say i am a complete idiot when it comes to mechanical/eletrical work on cars and the only thing i have ever done is change a tire once (to try it) I do know how to change a air filter and a fuse.. but i dont think i can manage anything else.
Also to note is i will be doing minimal offroading for now (new business to not much time for fun). But when i do goto QLD etc will do some beach driving just to try it out.
Some events require a bit of gravel driving inland but other than that no offroad at all. Just highway. unless a short cut is worth it on gravel!

I have got the EGR block done. This i am confident about. The rest

1) Dawes Valve - i got a turbosmart manual boost controller.
When we initially fitted it and set it to 14 PSI it was running ok. But when we increased it to 18 PSI it started cutting out and no power after about 90-100 km/h.
So had to disconnect it as i was driving to QLD the next day. I do load up the car on the long trips as they are for work mostly and a lot of equipment/gear in the back and a bit on the roof, therefore i wanted the bit of extra boost.
Questions are
is this the same as a dawves valve? If not what is the difference and should i change it? And what is the ideal boost limit to set?
2) Catch can - What size catch can should i install and how often is cleaning required? Can this cleaning be done by a complete noob like me? seen a 2L catch can on ebay and the supercheap version is only 500mls.
3) Pyro meter and boost gauge is in. Just need a POD. but the only pyro i could find was in farenheit from autobarn. On my last trip it was hitting 10-12 -00 Farenheit (530-640 C) on climbing hills etc. Is this ok? Also at 110-120 km/h it was hitting these figures too.

Have more questions but i think these are the most critical and others on another thread for ease of reading and answers!
Budget is also very tight, so hunting for best deals! or have to find a new place to live. :)

Pic of car currently https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rsj95ko759c48ba/NzR6WWBlkj

Your advise and assistance is much appreciated.
Hey Liveyk7 Nice ride mate, your temps seem a bit high mine runs between 250-450c my pyro sensor is after the turbo in the dump pipe so give or take 100c and 18psi boost should be factory I think, I run 21psi and I think the turbo smart controller you got is not a dawes vale its a spool trim, close it and it the turbo spools quicker, this is a dawes valve click link http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/1134/products/image_1ec6b461-0116-46f3-b062-9879d6a506a5_grande.jpg?v=1416085829 im in the western subs of Melb and I may be able to help you