PDA

View Full Version : Gu diffs into gq

fjp510
21st May 2013, 05:10 PM
I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times but is it worth changing my diffs to gu?
I have a td42 and if I was to do it is there a particular model gu or ratio I should be looking for
Thanks for your help guys

89gqpatrol4x4
21st May 2013, 05:15 PM
I believe mudrunner just didt his, so he is your man!

Bloodyaussie
21st May 2013, 05:16 PM
Well that depends on what you are doing... if you are going to the shops to get milk I would say forget it???

As for ratios it all depends on what you are running now and what size tyres you intend to use.. plenty of guys have experiance with this subject so wait for them to respond!!

mudnut
21st May 2013, 05:26 PM
I have a rear gu diff in my Old Trol, but that is because it was the only diff I could find that was the right ratio. The gq diffs are more than adequate, but if they are noisy or you want to do some serious offroading then by all means update.

fjp510
21st May 2013, 06:09 PM
I will be running mostly 33's maybe 35's
front diff isn't the best and rear is drum brakes so need to
do some sort of upgrade in the future

MudRunnerTD
21st May 2013, 06:53 PM
GU Diffs Rock mate!

If you have a TD42 then your ratio s 4.1:1, The Brake upgrade alone is worth every cent i spent on the diffs! OMG!!

If you can get a set of diffs with a set of 4.3:1 ratio gears in them then your set mate. Awesome upgrade for your TD42. your revs will be higher but your torque will be much more comfortable off the line. add a Turbo and your on a winner. Great setup for touring and hard hill climbing.

Note that you also have to swap out other stuff. Here is a list.

GU Tie Rod.
GU Drag Link.
GU Steering Box. (optional and if you have a big lift then necessary as the pitman arm on a GU box is much lower and helps allot.
Adjustable Panard rod or GU panard.

The GQ and GU diff centres are the same in the H233 diffs and i would avoid the H260 rear diff if you already have lockers and or dont need that monster. (Its huge)

Happy Days!!

Love it!

fjp510
21st May 2013, 07:14 PM
sweet thanks for the info mate
so what particular model would have that ratio
3.0 diesel?

Ryangtd42
28th February 2014, 11:32 PM
It's a great mod better brakes stability and strength what more could u want? (Rhetorical question 4x4 list is never ending)

Dhuck
28th February 2014, 11:50 PM
I have GU diffs in mine. Broader stance stronger diff and everything lines up. But as MR has stated.