PDA

View Full Version : Pre and post electrical care when you know its going to get wet

Bubba
21st May 2013, 10:07 AM
Hi I am back
I am after any tips on what others do before and after driving through mud and water.
Mine is a 3L petrol

see pic.

it sat there for awhile while I waited for a mate to come and pull me out
and for the record it started fine in the water and I have not had an issue since
but as I sat there waiting I thought this may not be good
I did spray large amounts of DW40/RP7 on all the lead connectors afterwards
also on a previous trip out on a very muddy run I got mud in the alternator which I just hosed out afterwards
any tips to prevent electrical problems would be good as I don't want to get stuck miles from anywhere by something I could prevent

threedogs
21st May 2013, 11:40 AM
Best thing is avoid bog holes at all costs
They will cost you a fortune in repairs

taslucas
21st May 2013, 03:42 PM

Sometimes you can't and sometimes you don't want to!

Bubba, id look at lengthening your diff and transmission breathers.
Maybe get some of that battery terminal spray onto any exposed electricals.
They dont seem to mind a bit of water on them. The distributor (points and rotor button) is usually the first thing to play up if wet

Bubba
21st May 2013, 03:55 PM
now where's the fun in that , next thing you will be telling me is to stay off the dirt all together LOL

MEGOMONSTER
21st May 2013, 04:26 PM
now where's the fun in that , next thing you will be telling me is to stay off the dirt all together LOL

If your gonna stay off the dirt, you must as well buy a Land Pooruiser. PML

threedogs
21st May 2013, 04:45 PM
Come talk again after 500 bog holes .Petrol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, raise your air intake point via a snorkle.
Pressurise your dizzy via small Aquarium pump 12v to keep water out,,,,,,,, or cover your dizzy
with a safeway bay if you have nothing else, squirt Lanotec on any connections back of alternator etc
Make a sheild to protect alternator. then do as many bog holes as you can, but first ring radiator,
auto elect and diff repair place in advance, cause Bog holes are fun right lol
so much to learn Grasshopper lol again

taslucas
21st May 2013, 05:26 PM
Come talk again after 500 bog holes .Petrol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, raise your air intake point via a snorkle.
Pressurise your dizzy via small Aquarium pump 12v to keep water out,,,,,,,, or cover your dizzy
with a safeway bay if you have nothing else, squirt Lanotec on any connections back of alternator etc
Make a sheild to protect alternator. then do as many bog holes as you can, but first ring radiator,
auto elect and diff repair place in advance, cause Bog holes are fun right lol
so much to learn Grasshopper lol again

Hey john, I know one thing for sure: where I live, if I don't want to go near mud you gotta stay on the bitumen!
Ok, your 2 hours into a big loop, nearly back to a gravel road, just gone down a pretty treacherous hill with buckleys chance of getting back up, and then you come round a corner and BANG! there's a bog hole....... What do ya do?

Bloodyaussie
21st May 2013, 06:07 PM
What do you do John....... there is a gun to your head what do you do???????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????? the extra question marks are for you Lucas!!

taslucas
21st May 2013, 06:26 PM
we need thinking music!

and nah no gun to the head, just the suns going down, youre nearly out of fuel, youve already eaten all the food, AND THERES ONLY ONE BEER LEFT!!!!!

93patrol
21st May 2013, 06:30 PM
say what????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wEnb9yIoes

caution bad words

MudRunnerTD
21st May 2013, 06:39 PM
Hey john, I know one thing for sure: where I live, if I don't want to go near mud you gotta stay on the bitumen!
Ok, your 2 hours into a big loop, nearly back to a gravel road, just gone down a pretty treacherous hill with buckleys chance of getting back up, and then you come round a corner and BANG! there's a bog hole....... What do ya do?

Well you go through ti if you have too. The point John is making though is that when guys go out and aim for the bog hole cause its fun well apply his rule. Bog Holes cost money Period. He is sharing Wisdom with a new member and is absolutely Spot On. I hate bog holes and will drive around every one i can. And you have all seen my build thread.!!

The Smart guy drive around them. The young bloke drives through them, sits in them and laughs with his mates while they figure out how to extract the thing. The old bloke sits and laughs with a slight nod of his head and wink to the other old bloke sitting there. Laugh we shall. The lad will learn one day!

I am with 3dogs all the way with htis one.

Bag it, wrap it, spray it, seal it. Drive it, Wreck it, pay for it, replace it, wreck it again, replace it again. The evolution of the Old bloke ;)

taslucas
21st May 2013, 07:32 PM
yeah totally understand darren but your called Mudrunner, you hit a hell of a lot of bogs, you must love it, youve said the you love the challenge of those insane tracks, theres heaps of pics of you hitting the mud, you've built and rebuilt your truck for the mud and back in those days if someone hinted that you were an idiot for doing it i know what youd say to them!
Yep its definately good to offer opinions to new drivers but dont ever say "no".

I totally agree with this statement:

Bag it, wrap it, spray it, seal it. Drive it, Wreck it, pay for it, replace it, wreck it again, replace it again. The evolution of the Old bloke ;)

And that doesnt say "no dont do it" :)

taslucas
21st May 2013, 08:36 PM
Heres what Mudrunner and Threedogs are talking about. It is worth avoiding if you can. But having said that, all i did was hose it off, soap it up and scrub it with a small hearth brush. That day killed my aircon compressor pulley but everything else was fine.
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh519/taslucas1/PatrolDirtyengine.jpg (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/taslucas1/media/PatrolDirtyengine.jpg.html)

Bubba
23rd May 2013, 03:46 PM
I have no aircon so im not worried there, its the dizzy and alternator thats my main concern, i like the fish pump idea, and yer the second i drove in I knew it was a bad choice , i was very pleasantly surprized that it was all ok , still trying to dry the carpets though

threedogs
23rd May 2013, 03:59 PM
There is a product for petrols to spray in/on dizzy, guy did demo on my troopy big accel hei dizzy.
tipped 1/2 glass of water in dizzy then told me to turn it over, bloody thing started, no farting popping zilch
cant recall name but was in a spray can.

@ Lucas thats cruel, dirty motor thats for sure, lucky only did air con. AAhhh bog holes

taslucas
23rd May 2013, 04:49 PM
@ Lucas thats cruel, dirty motor thats for sure, lucky only did air con. AAhhh bog holes

That wasn't even from a bog hole lol. Didnt go through anything deeper than a couple of inches all day. Most of that mud came from an uphill section!.... We get all types of mud here lol.