PDA

View Full Version : GU ZD30 loosing power??

Davesgu
20th May 2013, 04:57 PM
Hi all, I read something recently about the ZD30 loosing power while driving and having to come off the accel pedal then back on to 'reset' it. I'm pretty sure mine played up this morning. I can't find the thread or anything on it, anyone else heard of this? I've fitted by EGR blank bit nothing else as yet!

mudski
20th May 2013, 05:07 PM
Thats called limp mode. Its a safety thing for these engines when they over boost.
You need to install a Dawes valve to override the ECU's control of the boost and then you can set your own boost limit to just before the Limp mode kicks in. But, you need to have a boost gauge installed first. And an EGT gauge too preferably.

threedogs
20th May 2013, 05:08 PM
Thus the reason for fitting guages , remove EGR block and NAD your ride, its over boosting
x 2 with Mudski check Chaz Yellowfoot {guru} in search engine, everything you want to know is there.
If you're in a hurry Mudski may have Dawes and needle valves as we speak. the fitting a EGT and boost guage to a pillar or dash pod
is your next move. These motors over boost big time and NADDING your ride takes control of boost away from ECU and you control
it manually, basically set and forget, Highly recommend this NADS mod, but in the mean time remove EGR block as it'll keep overboosting.
By fitting guages any mod you do will show up on the guages and you can adjust to suit, or call on a member nearby if you're not confident

what year is your patrol ? what area are you from?

WYLD333
20th May 2013, 05:22 PM
2 good answers above cant go wrong there

mudski
20th May 2013, 05:29 PM
As TD said. I have a new shipment of Dawes valves, still waiting on the needle valves to arrive from Italy. Which is killing me....
But if you don't have the gauges I would highly recommend removing the EGR plate as this will give higher boost levels, enough to cause limp mode. Once you have everything else fitted, then put the EGR plate back in.

threedogs
20th May 2013, 05:33 PM
Adrian from 4x4 concepts on Ebay sells the pillar pod if thats your thing

Davesgu
20th May 2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks heaps all, I've got my Dawes Valve and EGR plate of you already Mudski ;) ill pull it out till I get the gauges. And I'm in Newcastle TD :)

threedogs
20th May 2013, 07:00 PM
Cool ,as suggested fit your guages ,then the rest , monitor boost which will change EGTs.
but rule of thumb is 10 psi @ 2000 rpm

mudski
20th May 2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks heaps all, I've got my Dawes Valve and EGR plate of you already Mudski ;) ill pull it out till I get the gauges. And I'm in Newcastle TD :)
Oh yeah you did too :/
But yeah get the gauge in. Highly recommended getting a EGT gauge so you can keep an eye on exhaust temps. There is heaps of different gauges to choose from here, It all depends on your choice of look and style. If you want a pillar pod there is more choices, for me I didn't want a pillar pod and went the single dual gauge sitting in between the tacho and speedo. I got mine from McNally in the USA. It wasn't cheap, at around $275 at the time but as it goes. You get what you pay for. The cheaper gauges may not be as accurate. may not.
This is mine...White dials now but you get the drift.