PDA

View Full Version : EGT data logging

Ben-e-boy
20th May 2013, 12:44 PM
G'Day.

On my many trips to and from Brisbane, I have been thinking about a way to log EGT's.
I have a few hills on the drive where I do my own tests before and after any mods that I do.
So, I was thinking If there is a hill in your area that is easy to find, frequented by many members where you could maintain a constant speed, log your EGT's and post them up with some basic specs of the motor.
A good one for the Qlders would be the gateway bridge. Every south east QLDer has to travel that at one point, it's long, it's fairly steep and you can maintain a constant speed.
A good one if you live on the south coast of NSW around Wollongong is Mount ousley for example.

I dont know much about Victoria but there is enough hills on the way to King Lake of Tallarook that are driven by many members that could be used????

Here is a few examples.
Gateway bridge QLD
TD42 turbo
water to air intercooled
4th gear 2400rpm @ 80 km/h
245 degress at the top.

5th gear 2000 rpm @ 80 km/h
300 degrees at the top

Here is another example.

Black mountain Pomona northbound QLD
td 42 turbo
water to air intercooled
5th gear 2250 rpm @ 90 km/h
260 degrees at the top.

If this takes off we might be able to make it a sticky, and gather some good information so when people are unsure of the temps they have some thing to compare too, and if one of the test hills are in their area they can perfom the same tests and have a better comparison.

Let me know what you think

Cheers
Benny

NissanGQ4.2
20th May 2013, 04:30 PM
Made it a sticky for you any way Benny :)

Wizard52
21st May 2013, 01:40 PM
Great idea to be able to compare your own vehicle to an average of other similar ones.
Add boost pressure as well?

Ben-e-boy
21st May 2013, 08:03 PM
Great idea to be able to compare your own vehicle to an average of other similar ones.
Add boost pressure as well?

You could add boost. I just couldn't remember what it was. All of those hills were around the 7 to 12 psi.

nissannewby
28th May 2013, 10:37 PM
Gateway Bridge
TD42Ti factory IP and I/C TD05 18G
Towing 3T 4th gear 21psi 90 kmh
EGT's at top 480
Foot was flat.

Ben-e-boy
20th September 2013, 01:50 PM
Another update with new setup.

Black mountain Pomona Qld northbound

Td42 turbo 12mm pump
Water to air intercooler
90kmh 14psi at the bottom 11psi by the top 2400-2500 rpm
225 degrees at the top.

AJTich
25th October 2013, 03:31 PM
yep, It would be great to get a link and logs for both EGT and Boost. Not too many hills of any consequence around Adelaide, but maybe in the Flinders??
A&J

Matt195583
11th December 2013, 12:15 AM
Sweet idea, I'm brisbane based I will see what I can do.

threedogs
11th December 2013, 12:09 PM
Where are all the big block 3 ltr guys. {read teensy weany]

taslucas
11th December 2013, 01:05 PM
Where are all the big block 3 ltr guys. {read teensy weany]

They haven't got to the top of the hill yet......lol

Wetty
9th April 2014, 09:08 AM
They haven't got to the top of the hill yet......lol
and our temps are way higher than 260 degrees at the top of any hill. . . .

AB
26th September 2014, 08:04 PM
Td42 gq silver top

Running standard ht18 turbo set at 9psi.

Below results based on the very long and steep hill on the Melba highway heading to the top of the intersection of kinglake and toolangi turn offs.

I've only got solid readings at the moment towing a 1.1 tonne camper loaded with family and all the crap you take with you camping so a decent weight. Ill get back to this thread soon with no camper.

At 9psi ht18 gq td42 silver top with no intercooler in winter I used to get over 550 if I stayed in 4th doing 80kms 3/4 up the long hill and always dropped back to 3rd and stayed at 480 until the crest.

Did drop back to 400 coming back down the hill afterwards but stayed a constant 370-400 all the way to the township yea "give or take".

Put the ic in...wrx front mount with 3" piping.

Exactly the same situation as above but I got 430 up the hill but kept it in the 4th the whole way so big difference.

Dropped back down to 360 ish over the hill and back down to 330 ish average temp travelling to Yea.

Got it tuned and results are slightly better.

12psi and now getting 380-400 up the hill in 4th all the way. Drops to 300 over hill and steady 250-300 all the way to Yea.

Keen to do this again without camper and fully loaded though with the ic and tune.

Pre ic no camper I was still getting 500 up the hill and dropping to third near top, averaging 400-450 in 3rd.

Hope that helps someone, the ic has made a massive difference on my EGTs.

dysonest
13th July 2015, 04:38 PM
has anyone swapped there probe before ? the patrol i bought has an evo gauge (with supposed k type) and there was no bung in the dump pipe.
now instead of buying a bung ive purchased a new gauge (w/ k type) and ive just used the bung and probe from this gauge.
it doesnt seem to work with the evo gauge ?? you would think the k type probes are all the same no ??
thanks for any help