PDA

View Full Version : SA map advice please....

Drewboyaus
19th May 2013, 10:24 PM
Hi guys,
Looking for advice on the best maps for areas of SA from the Coorong to Robe.
Planning a trip along the beach in the area. Any suggestion on said trip appreciated too....
Cheers,
Drew.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

happygu
19th May 2013, 11:34 PM
Drew,

I have always found the Hema Maps to be great value, with great added bits of information,although I haven't used one for Robe

There is some great trip notes in an Exploroz Trip Notes page for Robe to Beachport

Mic

MudRunnerTD
20th May 2013, 12:20 AM
There is a local map that was produced by the 4wd club in Beachport that maps the run between Robe and Beachport. all the back tracks and what not. Good map. Obtained locally.

growler2058
20th May 2013, 04:46 AM
There is a local map that was produced by the 4wd club in Beachport that maps the run between Robe and Beachport. all the back tracks and what not. Good map. Obtained locally.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using tapped out thumbs

Drewboyaus
20th May 2013, 07:29 AM
Thanks Daz.
When you say obtained locally I assume you mean in Robe?
Cheers

MudRunnerTD
20th May 2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks Daz.
When you say obtained locally I assume you mean in Robe?
Cheers

Yeah Robe and Beachport.

If you call the Robe Visitor Information they could probably send you a copy mate. Sorry i cant remember the name of the 4wd Club that did it but i was pretty impressed with how accurate it was and also how much signage they had produced.

threedogs
20th May 2013, 11:29 AM
Drew have you tried that map shop in keilor rd ,
they should cover that area.

TPC
20th May 2013, 11:47 AM
Gday Drew,

Not sure when you are planning on your trip but if you are thinking June you may find you will not be able to get onto the beach sections.
I have been down there in June a couple of times and there has been king tides that have made the beach inaccessible.
Even if you cant get on the beaches you would still be able to have fun in the sand hills though.

threedogs
20th May 2013, 04:32 PM
WOW may need to consult the moon charts for new and full moon times.

Any Maya members ??

TPC
20th May 2013, 04:43 PM
WOW may need to consult the moon charts for new and full moon times.

Any Maya members ??

You always have a smart ass comment 3D. lol

It is not just while there is a big tide that there is problems with beach access, the aftermath can be a lot of sand erosion and a big drop-off onto the beach.

BigRAWesty
20th May 2013, 05:26 PM
Gday Drew,

Not sure when you are planning on your trip but if you are thinking June you may find you will not be able to get onto the beach sections.
I have been down there in June a couple of times and there has been king tides that have made the beach inaccessible.
Even if you cant get on the beaches you would still be able to have fun in the sand hills though.

Yea I was going to put forward caution because of this issue.. but yea, if you can't go the beach you can get around most sections via the dunes..

But hay, a few boys down here are always up for cruze that way if you want some company..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudnut
20th May 2013, 05:43 PM
What days are you looking at coming across this way, Drew? I have been for a couple of day trips to Beachport in the van. Some of the tracks I saw looked like a lot of fun. X2 if you want some company. I should have the Old Trol's steering fixed in a few days.

Drewboyaus
20th May 2013, 07:17 PM
I haven't decided just yet. It will be after the Queens birthday weekend though (gotta get my annual snow drive on with the kids!).
It's going to be me and one or two of my besties. A bit of a quiet cruise, some sand driving fun and remote camping to allow me a bit of thinking time now I'm in remission and recovering from my treatment. I had planned to head up through the high country into NSW but most of the tracks are going to be closed soon.
Be great to meet you blokes from over that neck of the woods. I'll let you know when I'm heading off.

Drewboyaus
20th May 2013, 07:18 PM
Oh, and thanks for all the info too....

BigRAWesty
20th May 2013, 07:34 PM
Yea mate always welcome for a beer.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
20th May 2013, 07:36 PM
Well I thought the moon controlled all things tidal, not a S-A answer IMO.
be that causing erosion for king tides, a given IMO

mudnut
20th May 2013, 07:49 PM
Last time I went to do a beach run from Piccanny ponds to Port Mac, we only drove on the sand for twentry minutes until we found the beach was nearly non-existant around some points. We gave up and drove on the road. The time and tide info we had was totally wrong. After we had a chat with the bloke at the local fishing gear shop, I'll be giving him a ring to make sure we get the correct info next time.

BigRAWesty
20th May 2013, 08:21 PM
Yea down here its very weather influenced..
When you QLD boys or WA boys have a cyclone we get really weird weather.. and most the time get smashed..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Drewboyaus
30th May 2013, 08:38 PM
Anyone got any idea how long it would take to travel from 28 Mile crossing all the way up to the mouth of the Murray along the beach in the Coorong National Park? How easy is the drive?
Ta

TPC
31st May 2013, 12:09 PM
Anyone got any idea how long it would take to travel from 28 Mile crossing all the way up to the mouth of the Murray along the beach in the Coorong National Park? How easy is the drive?
Ta

You may have already looked at this link, it has some discussion about driving to the mouth.
http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/south-australia/17212-limestone-coast-mid-year-trip-3.html

I have only driven part of it to go fishing and camping, found it very soft especially in the shell grit.
You may find it impassable at this time of year.

MudRunnerTD
31st May 2013, 03:04 PM
I have a friend that did the drive from Beachport to the mouth a few years ago and the return trip in a day was a massive day. From memory 10 hours or more maybe?

BigRAWesty
31st May 2013, 03:33 PM
Yea its a good solid day, best split over 2. Sometimes it can be impossible to get threw.. but there are tracks behind the dunes right threw

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Drewboyaus
31st May 2013, 08:08 PM
Yea its a good solid day, best split over 2. Sometimes it can be impossible to get threw.. but there are tracks behind the dunes right threw

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Thanks guys. I was thinking about taking a day from 28 mile crossing to get up there (to the mouth) and a day back. With an extra day or two for the sections before 28 mile crossing.
The tracks in the dunes I reckon are probably more amusing than the drive on the beach.
Thinking I might go via a couple of Coonawarra wineries and home via some rock art in the Grampians.......

BigRAWesty
31st May 2013, 08:30 PM
Bloody good plan mate.. the dunes are more fun for sure,

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

TPC
31st May 2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys. I was thinking about taking a day from 28 mile crossing to get up there (to the mouth) and a day back. With an extra day or two for the sections before 28 mile crossing.
The tracks in the dunes I reckon are probably more amusing than the drive on the beach.
Thinking I might go via a couple of Coonawarra wineries and home via some rock art in the Grampians.......

Be careful what dunes you play in especially around 42 mile crossing, the ranger will book you if you go where you are not allowed with a big fine.
Stay outside the fenced off areas.

Drewboyaus
1st June 2013, 12:31 AM
Be careful what dunes you play in especially around 42 mile crossing, the ranger will book you if you go where you are not allowed with a big fine.
Stay outside the fenced off areas.

Cheers mate but I won't be travelling off the track. I'm a big believer in respecting the areas I travel in.......

Drewboyaus
1st June 2013, 11:12 AM
You may have already looked at this link, it has some discussion about driving to the mouth.
http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/south-australia/17212-limestone-coast-mid-year-trip-3.html

I have only driven part of it to go fishing and camping, found it very soft especially in the shell grit.
You may find it impassable at this time of year.

I hadn't reviewed that yet.....phaaaark, sounds like a challenging trip at this time of year. Great link though. Heaps of good information there.
Thanks for that.

BigRAWesty
1st June 2013, 11:49 AM
I hadn't reviewed that yet.....phaaaark, sounds like a challenging trip at this time of year. Great link though. Heaps of good information there.
Thanks for that.

Yes, yes it is..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of