PDA

View Full Version : UHF in 2000 GU II

Country_GU
19th May 2013, 12:46 PM
Hey all,

I asked a few weeks ago about how to route the UHF cable into the vehicle from the engine bay. Well I finally got the bug and put it in yesterday.

So I did the fencing wire trick, found a hole in the wiring and stabbed a piece of fencing wire through the grommet, tape and pull back, works well, cheers for the idea.

Then mounting the unit was fun, I've always appreciated something I call "subtle custom" where it looks factory but to the trained eye it's custom. Weird I know but hey, each to their own. I decided to gut the centre console out and mount the unit under there. It was all very simple and straight forward to remove, +1 Nissan. Mounted the unit there and decided to do the easy way out of tapping into the cigarette lighter socket, pulled the panel out, already done for me! Must have been a UHF in here before. All that was left was to terminate the coax from the antenna and plug it all in, oh and mount the remote head unit, it's the perfect size to fit on the overhead console and the switch cover for I'm assuming the sunroof? Houses the hand piece quite nicely

Ill end my rant there lol here is some pics.

Under the centre console

The head unit

Console looking stock as

The antenna, did my mobile one at the same time.

Let me know what you think!

Country_GU
19th May 2013, 12:51 PM
Oh also for those playing at home, to get more length out of the head unit all you need is a rj45 male to male joiner and a cat5e/cat6 cable

threedogs
19th May 2013, 06:58 PM
Should those antenna be that close together, from memory you may find too much interference.
as I said not 100% but you may do harm to one or other, or another member may know.
It worries me

benno77gu
19th May 2013, 08:39 PM
looks great like the unit under the console

Country_GU
19th May 2013, 10:15 PM
I ran that same mobile antenna and a 2.1m antenna side by side probs 30mm more apart without a problem in the world on my old ute, if it gives me too much grief ill cut it off and reweld further apart lol

Country_GU
19th May 2013, 10:19 PM
This was my old ute

Bit further apart but I used both the big UHF antenna and the small black one with no problems

my third 256
20th May 2013, 02:19 AM
wow that is some serious antennas
locky you didnt get a parking fine meter is expired

Country_GU
20th May 2013, 08:01 AM
Haha meter was broken, winning!!!

threedogs
20th May 2013, 11:49 AM
Just saw a B&S ute with similar bar this morning.
I wouldn't reweld a bracket plenty of after market
bolt on bracket available just run an earth wire to battery

Maybe Yendor can dismiss or comfirm proximity of antennas
Me I'd be running one on each side well away from each other.
Might be different as it a Mobile phone job

Country_GU
20th May 2013, 01:26 PM
Yeah I figured since one is 477mHz and the other is 850, 920, 1050, 1200 or something I figured the frequencies are far enough apart not to worry each other much, we get mine cars that have UHF, VHF, mobile and GPS all together with no worries. As I said if I get troubles ill just relocate it.

threedogs
20th May 2013, 04:11 PM
Think you said it when you said Frequencies, Coming from B&S background I take it you like your antennas.
I've found down here [Melb] a lot are using those teeny, weeny ittsy beeny 70mm units from middle of the roof.
Can't see that on a B&S ute, you'd get laughed out of the paddock, lol

the evil twin
20th May 2013, 05:25 PM
Yeah I figured since one is 477mHz and the other is 850, 920, 1050, 1200 or something I figured the frequencies are far enough apart not to worry each other much, we get mine cars that have UHF, VHF, mobile and GPS all together with no worries. As I said if I get troubles ill just relocate it.

Primary freq's aren't usually the issue it is the 2nd and 3rd harmonics that may cause problems depending how good (or well engineered if you prefer) the equipment is that you connect to the antennae and/or the distance apart versus wavelength.

Whilst it is not a good practice, 99% of the time you won't get a problem but if your mobile phone smokes every time you transmit on, say, channel 56 then I'd move them :smile:

If it was two CB antenna's then def not a good idea

Country_GU
20th May 2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks mate, good to know :)