PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading old Head LIght to HID

SonOf
18th May 2013, 09:37 PM
Hi Guys,

Looking at doing something with my standard GU head lights. They are pretty poor really and seeing I drive a fair bit in the dark on wet, foggy, icy roads with plenty of critters on them I want to be able to see better.

I was looking at some of the brighter bulb replacements but saw HID kit online and wanted to know if any of you have used something similar or have any view on this type of kit.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150871968479?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Has anyone used this type of kit or know someone etc who has and what are your thoughts.

Cheers

Alitis007
18th May 2013, 09:50 PM
I have a bixenon kit in my gu, i think there fantastic and light up heaps, they reflect the road signs and police cars up really well too. You get flashed occasionally but if you have the head lights aimed correctly you should be fine, just remember nissan head lights on low beam point away from the driver, RHD to the left. I have installed moving shutter HID head lights on my dads hilux but this style is a lot better if you drive on rough roads coz there is two globes in it so theres less chance the shutter breaking off.

MEGOMONSTER
18th May 2013, 10:16 PM
Hi Guys,

Looking at doing something with my standard GU head lights. They are pretty poor really and seeing I drive a fair bit in the dark on wet, foggy, icy roads with plenty of critters on them I want to be able to see better.

I was looking at some of the brighter bulb replacements but saw HID kit online and wanted to know if any of you have used something similar or have any view on this type of kit.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150871968479?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

Has anyone used this type of kit or know someone etc who has and what are your thoughts.

Cheers

If you really want something a little different then this is the way to go.
Check out this thread from the beginning.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=12691

nissannewby
19th May 2013, 09:21 AM
The car pictured with the comparison between the hid bulbs and projectors is mine. While the projector setup is more expensive the light quality and output shits all over the hid bulbs in the old reflectors.

Alitis007
19th May 2013, 09:25 AM
Some people can't afford $400 odd just for head lights mate

threedogs
19th May 2013, 09:51 AM
Very happy with my 55 watt HID bi-xenon set up , at one stage did have high
wattage globes until I was informed reflectors were plastic.
If using HID you wont need more the 5000K if that. Unless you like that Blue look
I dont

SonOf
19th May 2013, 11:45 AM
I will save a few dollars more and get the full kit from you Mick. Grated the $70 option is tempting but I also do not want to be blinding other people on the roads, I know it tiks me off not to mention the safety issue.

Good to know about the brightness to, wondered about the differences. I had looked at the standard halogen bulbs that say 90w low/110w High but thought these would be too bright just on low bean as well.

Will just throw in some decent bulbs for now and see what I can do with the spots. Damn this tinkering bug, it's like fishing lures but more expensive :-)

Cheers to all for the feedback, learning heaps in here.

nissannewby
19th May 2013, 05:06 PM
Some people can't afford $400 odd just for head lights mate

Wasn't suggesting he did, just conveying my experience between the 2 that's all it's very much chalk and cheese but SonOf is the one making the decision we are just informing him this its what forums are about, sharing info so others can make an informed decision.

Alitis007
19th May 2013, 05:14 PM
Wasn't suggesting he did, just conveying my experience between the 2 that's all it's very much chalk and cheese but SonOf is the one making the decision we are just informing him this its what forums are about, sharing info so others can make an informed decision.

Yeh cool mate, no stress!! I get what you where saying, i was just putting out there aswell. The projector head light is the way to go if you can afford it but if you can't at the time, BiXenon kits are better then hi wattage halogen or HOD globes that over rate the wires to the head lights and fry the insulation off them!

threedogs
19th May 2013, 05:30 PM
The projector style are very similar ,but the beam of light well,,,just stops is the only way I'd describe it. As
For use on outback roads thats not for me to say, never seen them in action.
Outback touring most should be off the road to avoid animal strikes or holed up in a pub somewhere, lol
Not sure how far Hi beam go on projector style also, all I do know is my Hids matched to
my 100 watt HID spot lights and 4' light bar makes night driving a breeze,