PDA

View Full Version : What's Our GQ Ti Patrol Worth?

Wonky
18th May 2013, 09:15 PM
Hi guys,

Firstly, apologies because as the top poster on www.ls1.com.au car forum (almost 10,000 posts) and being heavily involved as an admin on another car forum (www.lsxc.com.au, both also as wonky) I understand how annoying these type of threads can be to all the much more knowledgeable people, so please allow me to explain some background to my request.

If someone posted a similar question on a late model Commodore/HSV V8 or wanted to know power figures for certain mods I'd be able to give a good estimate, but on much older cars such as our Patrol I have absolutely no idea of what sort of condition others for sale are in and due to now being significantly disabled due to a very serious neurological condition it's virtually impossible for me to get around to check out others for sale as I would have previously done. Unfortunately I can't even ring people because one of the problems with my condition is that what's left of my speech is almost incomprehensible, even to my wife and daughters.

We've had our 1991 Ti LWB Patrol since it was one week old courtesy of an acquaintance we've since lost contact with who used to manage Nissan Motor Company's executive fleet. We told him what we wanted, one of his senior execs drove it up from Geelong to Dandenong for a week to put the required 1500km on it and then it was ours. It was our main vehicle for over 10 years then we got my wife a 4 cylinder car and it was relegated to just towing our horse float, the main reason we originally purchased it.

My daughters have now grown up and no longer go to Pony Club or compete so it's very rarely used now. With me no longer able to work we can no longer afford to keep it registered and insured for very occasional use so simply need a fair price for it without waiting months for a sale. Looking at those on Carsales I have no idea what's a fair price for ours without being able to go and look at others, particularly with respect to rust which I gather is very common in these now.

Hopefully you can appreciate the difficult position I'm now in and help by giving me estimates of what you think it might be worth.

1991 LWB Ti Patrol 4.2 petrol/gas, first reg late Oct 1991. LPG conversion was done at 5,000km as recommended by the place who did it.

Paint: 2 tone grey

Mileage: 370,000km

Nissan bull bar

Has NEVER been off road or in water.

Has NEVER been in an accident (unless you count my wife trying to modify the rear passenger side wheel flare on a post as an accident) and a bit of a scrape on the front passenger door.

Tyres are Desert Duelers and I believe all quite roadworthy.

It has NEVER stranded us mechanically and apart from head reconditioning about 10 years ago has cost us amazingly little in maintenance in the 22 years we've had it. Just the typical brakes, tyres, batteries (has an almost brand new battery at the moment), front steering damper, shockers, I think power steering pump and water pump, possibly alternator or distributor (hard to think back over so many years). It has been an amazingly cheap car to keep on the road for 20+ years and 370,000km! Since the head was done it's only done about 50,000km given it's now just a tow car.

It does have some rust, but I believe these are pretty renowned for that, especially around the rear sliding windows. Also has a spot of rust in a strange spot on the very back corner of the roof. No idea whether that is unusual or not but is taped over so water can't get in. Has what I believe is surface rust along top of windscreen, I suspect from having paint scraped off when the windscreen was replaced a couple of years ago.

The door trims have been on and off so many times to fix the power windows that some are not really on all that well and we've given up on the windows, so at the moment I believe none are working (I can no longer drive it and really struggle to even get in now).

It still drives very well and in fact a few months ago my wife had no hesitation taking it by herself from Melbourne to Paynesville (approx 200km) towing the float fully laden with furniture to move our niece and her husband, then back. It was then being difficult to start after that so has just had $650 of work done including new fuel pump, safety switch on the LPG, new points etc and now starts and runs fine. A new LPG tank (120 litres - 100 litres usable) was fitted probably 6 - 8 years ago so should still be fine.

The seats aren't very clean after so many years but I'm sure they have no rips or tears. The 2 seats in the very back have been used occasionally but not often.

There seems to be a huge variation in prices on Carsales, a lot of which I assume is due to rust, particularly structural rust in chassis etc due to being in salt water in particular or off road, neither of which ours has never done so I assume it's pretty good from that point of view.

Basically it's a very reliable, effectively one owner, car which has never been off road and I believe with a bit of time and effort would clean up very well. The seats and dash are fine and with a little time the door trims and windows could easily be sorted out to make it all pretty good inside. It's the sort of thing had I been well I would never have let get to that point, but having done similar on this car and others we've had over the years I'm sure is an easy fix.

I would really appreciate it if people could give me ballpark estimates on what they think it would be worth for a relatively quick sale. Given our predicament we need a fair price without either giving it away or having it hang around for months (rego till end of August and we don't really want to have to register it again). Will obviously be sold without a RWC.

Thank you,
Gary

Wonky
18th May 2013, 09:35 PM
Oops! 4.2 manual. :)

MEGOMONSTER
18th May 2013, 10:01 PM
G'day Wonky, normally new members post a Hello thread in the introductions section before posting questions.

Clunk
18th May 2013, 10:27 PM
Definitely a wide variety in prices on all the usually car sites........ I bought my RX 94 GQ TB42e petrol only, auto over 2 years ago. No rust anywhere apart from rear passenger window frame. With a little I've 180,000 on the clock and paid 7k for it.

Although yours is a TI, I don't think you'd get over 5k........ I've seen similar to yours advertised over here (WA) for less and are still on the market after a couple of months.
I guess it all boils down to how much you want for it and how much a person would be willing to spend ............. Sorry I'm no help

MCcrappatappalot signing on..............

Wonky
19th May 2013, 07:52 PM
G'day Wonky, normally new members post a Hello thread in the introductions section before posting questions.

OK, sorry, but even if I'd realised that I didn't see much point given I don't anticipate being on here that long, possibly even not on this mortal coil that long............ The more usual form of what I have typically kills people in 3 to 5 years and although the form I have is typically less aggressive, who knows???

Wonky
19th May 2013, 07:54 PM
Definitely a wide variety in prices on all the usually car sites........ I bought my RX 94 GQ TB42e petrol only, auto over 2 years ago. No rust anywhere apart from rear passenger window frame. With a little I've 180,000 on the clock and paid 7k for it.

Although yours is a TI, I don't think you'd get over 5k........ I've seen similar to yours advertised over here (WA) for less and are still on the market after a couple of months.
I guess it all boils down to how much you want for it and how much a person would be willing to spend ............. Sorry I'm no help

MCcrappatappalot signing on..............

Thanks Clunk. :) Yeah, my guesstimate would have been under $5k which your post seems to confirm, but how much under?

Clunk
19th May 2013, 08:00 PM
OK, sorry, but even if I'd realised that I didn't see much point given I don't anticipate being on here that long, possibly even not on this mortal coil that long............ The more usual form of what I have typically kills people in 3 to 5 years and although the form I have is typically less aggressive, who knows???

Don't worry about it, its just something that's asked of all new members but its not compulsory

MCCrappatappalot signing in!!!

Clunk
19th May 2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks Clunk. :) Yeah, my guesstimate would have been under $5k which your post seems to confirm, but how much under?

Without photos and actually seeing your patrol and knowing how it runs, it would be difficult to put a figure on it. So without wanting to take the p@S's, for a runner, you could be looking from 2- 3k but like I said........ too hard to tell

MCCrappatappalot signing in!!!

Wonky
28th May 2013, 04:43 AM
Finally got my wife to take some pics for (hopefully) a better estimate of what it might be worth. Basically it's a clean car for 22 years old and wasn't washed or anything for these pics.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o274/gcovo/Misc/Patrol1sm_zps72b4613e.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/gcovo/media/Misc/Patrol1sm_zps72b4613e.jpg.html)
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o274/gcovo/Misc/Patrol2sm_zps4eb5372e.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/gcovo/media/Misc/Patrol2sm_zps4eb5372e.jpg.html)

plus one showing rust in the rear window area (pretty typical of these I gather).

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o274/gcovo/Misc/Patrol4sm_zps8c375d64.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/gcovo/media/Misc/Patrol4sm_zps8c375d64.jpg.html)

RubberDuckieGQ
30th May 2013, 01:01 AM
Hey Wonky, wow that's a nice looking patrol.

Hard to say exactly what you could get for it but you could list it at say 4500-5000 and see how you go? Can always drop the price.
That estimate is based on the fact that it has had 1 owner, no offroad, body in good condition - but high kms and no rwc

Hope that helps :)

Wonky
30th May 2013, 03:22 AM
Thanks RubberDuckieGQ. Gives me something to work on. :)

RubberDuckieGQ
30th May 2013, 09:03 PM
No worries! Let us know how you go!

Wonky
19th June 2013, 02:33 AM
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-1991/SSE-AD-2186238/?Cr=1

Wonky
29th July 2013, 04:58 PM
FWIW sold in a fortnight for $3,800 cash. Not unhappy with that. First person who saw it bought it plus had 2 others who sounded keen.

RubberDuckieGQ
4th August 2013, 01:55 AM
good result! :) glad it worked out for you

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Motorculture mobile app

safariman
16th August 2013, 04:17 PM
I don't know if this is helpful or not. We just bought a 1990 Patrol for roughly 21000 USD. No idea what that converts to. But also, it was in fantastic shape, and this is also in Kenya, where vehicles are notoriously overpriced.