PDA

View Full Version : in car entertainment - headphone volume

micknwen
17th May 2013, 11:45 AM
Hi all,
Just installed a new Pioneer F40BT entertainment/nav system in the dash and a couple headrest DVD players for the kids in the back. Seems like a nice system although the volume through the infrared headphones is pretty low even with the volume on the headrest DVD players and the headphones turned up full. Plugging earphones directly into the AV outputs also gives similarly low volume. Tired some other IR headphones but no better. Its not terrible but it struggles to compete with us listening to music in the front plus highway noise. The guy said that's the max volume these units put out so it is what it is.
I'm wondering whether its possible to get an amplifying unit for the signal after it comes out of the AV output or maybe using noise cancelling headphones (which I've not tried before).
Anyone got any experience with this sort of thing?
Mick

threedogs
17th May 2013, 03:19 PM
Go to places like Jaycar they may have inline amplifiers of some discription
Shoot 4off a pm He may know or Yendor

Coldcomfort
17th May 2013, 04:02 PM
Hi micknwen, I am assuming that you mean you installed LCD screen into the back of the front seats?? You are using the F40BT as the DVD player. Your issue would be signal loss over the cable run from the head unit to the LCD screens. What you need is a audio booster like boostaroo. But sadly I think that boostaroo don't make a unit that is powered from a cars power source. I think I might know a source for some AV signal amps that are 12v compatible. I will have a hunt and see what I can find.

Coldcomfort
17th May 2013, 06:05 PM
I knew I had seen these before...

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=1074#detailed

This is what you need.