PDA

View Full Version : Beware Account hackers are here !

04OFF
17th May 2013, 08:59 AM
Someone with a IP address: 188.143.232.144 ,attemped at least 5 times to log in to my account yesterday.

A very quick google search has that IP origin as Russian ?

i will try and investigate more, and i know this threat is ever present, but just a quick heads up for everyone

threedogs
17th May 2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks but being a luddite whats this mean to Joe Blow I dont do internet banking for this reason.
Nor do I do facebook ,twitter, its all just too much info for everyone else.
My name is threedogs and I'm a NP forum member,

mudski
17th May 2013, 09:06 AM
How did you find this out? Got me stumped why on an account on a forum. It's not like they can get much info out of you. They must be really bored.

Sir Roofy
17th May 2013, 09:10 AM
thanks but being a luddite whats this mean to joe blow i dont do internet banking for this reason.
Nor do i do facebook ,twitter, its all just too much info for everyone else.
My name is threedogs and i'm a np forum member,

im the same as td but assume that they are looking for paypal and bank details,if he does get my ip address it wont do them any good

Cuppa
17th May 2013, 09:13 AM
How did you find this out?

x 2 ? I'd be interested to keep a check.

Cuppa

oncedisturbed
17th May 2013, 09:22 AM
People from there also hacked the wife's email account a week or so ago, make sure everyone runs their anti-virus and look at getting an anti-key logger program

Never underestimate the power of the Tap.

threedogs
17th May 2013, 09:23 AM
But all ppl who use all this social media and iternet banking etc, have created this.
I chose not to enroll, sign up what ever the term, why put yourself out there for all to see
in the first place. All these Tech heads Shite me, Doing a web site{ Not this one} I ask guy to ring me,
Physically Pick up a phone and ring, nah he emailed, ARE WE THAT TIME POOR NOW.

Sir Roofy
17th May 2013, 09:30 AM
but all ppl who use all this social media and iternet banking etc, have created this.
I chose not to enroll, sign up what ever the term, why put yourself out there for all to see
in the first place. All these tech heads shite me, doing a web site{ not this one} i ask guy to ring me,
physically pick up a phone and ring, nah he emailed, are we that time poor now.

well three dogs we are just to old school i guess ,but but mate we dont stress about someone tapping into our accounts

TPC
17th May 2013, 09:39 AM
But all ppl who use all this social media and iternet banking etc, have created this.
in the first place. All these Tech heads Shite me, Doing a web site{ Not this one} I ask guy to ring me,
Physically Pick up a phone and ring, nah he emailed, ARE WE THAT TIME POOR NOW.

I always use internet banking and find it is easy to control all payments and transfers, if you run good virus protection you are going to be safe.
You don't have to use internet banking to loose money from your account, on a trip I did a few years back we stopped first night at Coober Pedy and 1 of the guys used his credit card at a few places there.
He then tried to use it at Mount Dare and it was declined, turned out someone in Coober Pedy had used his card details to purchase several thousand dollars worth of goods.

As far as using email instead of the phone, I do that all the time at work so I have a record of the conversation.

taslucas
17th May 2013, 10:22 AM
ARE WE THAT TIME POOR NOW.

Yeah I am a little time poor (that's a great saying lol). I work business hours all week so I really don't want to stand in line all lunch hour waiting to pay a bill. I pay bills over the internet but it's through my banks secure website.
Threedogs, do you ever get paid electronicaly for your recovery hooks? Would be a pain having to get a cheque or money order sent to you then waiting for it to clear before posting out the item. It's the way of the future. Just got to manage the risks, just like walking through kings cross with a wallet full of cash lol.
By the way, I don't use facespace or other social media but that's not to avoid hacking, it's ti avoid bullsh1t! Haha

Sir Roofy
17th May 2013, 10:25 AM
i always use internet banking and find it is easy to control all payments and transfers, if you run good virus protection you are going to be safe.
You don't have to use internet banking to loose money from your account, on a trip i did a few years back we stopped first night at coober pedy and 1 of the guys used his credit card at a few places there.
He then tried to use it at mount dare and it was declined, turned out someone in coober pedy had used his card details to purchase several thousand dollars worth of goods.

As far as using email instead of the phone, i do that all the time at work so i have a record of the conversation.

i can see where your comming from but the art of speaking to some one is dying ,if you just e/mail every thing you really dont know what they are thinking or scaming but with speaking to them on the phone you can pick up on certain tones in there voice
and you get an idea of how they are thinking
and as for credit cards never had one and cant see the need for one,thats only another bill i dont need to worry about

TPC
17th May 2013, 10:32 AM
i can see where your comming from but the art of speaking to some one is dying ,if you just e/mail every thing you really dont know what they are thinking or scaming but with speaking to them on the phone you can pick up on certain tones in there voice
and you get an idea of how they are thinking
and as for credit cards never had one and cant see the need for one,thats only another bill i dont need to worry about

Agree the tone of your voice can change the whole context of a conversation and it is very hard to portray that in an email, sometimes I will follow up an email with a phone call to make sure it did not come get misinterpreted.
Could not live without a credit card, some places insist on them like hire car companies.

Bob
17th May 2013, 10:49 AM
I use Internet Banking for all Payments but this is through the Bendigo Bank which in addition to Logon Details and Password it also requires the use of a Dongle which generates a Code based on your details and the time etc and when entered in the Bank Software generates the same code and it must match. Very Secure.
Internet Banking saves so much time

Sir Roofy
17th May 2013, 10:51 AM
agree the tone of your voice can change the whole context of a conversation and it is very hard to portray that in an email, sometimes i will follow up an email with a phone call to make sure it did not come get misinterpreted.
Could not live without a credit card, some places insist on them like hire car companies.

haha was no mention of a back up call lol,your probably right about the credit cards,im glad we live such a simple life
in saying that we have most mods in our home but all paid for if we have,nt the money at the time we wait till we do
then pay cash for it no interest on cards pick up take home enjoy,if they insist on a credit card they dont get my dollars

Sir Roofy
17th May 2013, 10:53 AM
i use internet banking for all payments but this is through the bendigo bank which in addition to logon details and password it also requires the use of a dongle which generates a code based on your details and the time etc and when entered in the bank software generates the same code and it must match. Very secure.
Internet banking saves so much time

sorry bob but whats a dongle

Bob
17th May 2013, 10:59 AM
sorry bob but whats a dongle

I was going to say an appendage to my body but I wont. LOL

It is a electronic device the size of a USB Stick which when you press a button it generates a Code which you enter into your Banking Logon to allow you access

mudski
17th May 2013, 11:13 AM
Going OT here but some people don't like using CC's. What about cheques? They went out with BellBottom's and button up boots! And I still get people wanting to pay this way. I just tell them to go elsewhere if they want to pay by cheque. Cheque is the easy way of getting stuff and not paying for it. Plus we have to wait for payment...

But my question still remains unanswered...how did you find this out?

threedogs
17th May 2013, 11:34 AM
@ Lucas you like that eh Time poor, read that in a really thick book about WTF. lol
My other thick book is for useless info and colouring in ,lol Again HL&S

All for technology its mind boggling to think where it will be in 20 odd years.

We are that lazy now we CBF changing tv if we cant find remote, go figure
My Galaxay 3 phone has more technology in it than the room full of computers
that put man on the moon

I'll except cheque, I'll except anyway they want to pay as long as I get paid
never been dudded yet as don't release product until paid, easy
We just need to get smarter,
@ Mudski read first post

Cuppa
17th May 2013, 11:40 AM
I haven't written a cheque for donkeys years. Not even sure if we still have a cheque book.
All our banking is done online, & instead of a dongle generated security code like Bob, I get a an text message on my phone from the bank with a code for the transaction.
I use ebay quite a lot & for that I use a debit card that I keep a very small balance in & deposit the amount I need into it at the time of each transaction.
Like Roofy we don't have any debt, & don't buy anything unless we have the money to pay for it, but we do use a credit card for convenience (& because my wife gets salary sacrificing - which is all smoke & mirrors to me). Anything spent on the credit card gets paid off well within the 'free credit period', usually the same day as the transaction is made.

Living 30kms from the nearest bank makes electronic banking a no brainer for us.

TD if you are the luddite you claim to be when it comes to this electronic finance stuff how do you manage on your frequent ebay purchases? Do you send cheques, use online bank transfer or Paypal? And how do people pay you for the stuff you sell? Surely you don't get written cheques from all your customers?

Cuppa

threedogs
17th May 2013, 11:47 AM
My sons well one showed me how to set up and use paypal.
worked out great for a member in the UK who needed something from Nizzbits.
I purchased it posted it and UK member reimbursed me via PayPal plus extra for beer or was that pint.
, I'm not anti Technology I love it but like Roofy
I'm not up to speed with it. My choice,I'm old school . If I wasnt injured and remaned in the workplace
I'm sure/positive things would be different

Bazhemps
17th May 2013, 12:13 PM
Hi Folks,
It happens, morgage account with large bank, come home to letter from said bank advising me the they are in receipt of change to my contact details, if I did not provide this information contact them immediately. On doing so I was advised I had change my mobile phone number. It took some convincing them that my Wife or Myself had not instigated this, my number was immediately change back to original. I asked how this could happen and they said an investigation would take place. Arrive home next day to 4 letters advising us that a new payee had been added to our account. Back on the blower and am told it must be a friend of ours, informed them the person was unknown to us. (to withdraw from our account you set up the Payee and a code is texed to you to approve the payment so thats why my mobile no. was changed) after 4 attempts you would think the Bank would have been suspicious. Luckily we have a withdrawal cap on the account, I am guessing this shister went the full monty and was unable to withdraw. Bottom line is account suspended, new cards to be issued, new pin numbers, set up new account and one week without access to our money. Called them back to see if investigation had taken place, would not divulge any thing to us only to say it appeared an inside job as the other account was with held with the same bank. Thanked me for being alert to what was going down "DUH". We do not use mobile phone for banking the only time we access is at home on P.C. and the access with passwords we thought was very secure, they have since changed their system for payments. So be alert.
Baz

mudski
17th May 2013, 12:15 PM
@ Mudski read first post
Doesn't explain how he found this out....

lorrieandjas
17th May 2013, 12:39 PM
Someone with a IP address: 188.143.232.144 ,attemped at least 5 times to log in to my account yesterday.

Hi Mate,

If the address wasn't spoofed (I am assuming you got AB to check the logs?) then the IP in question is:

#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
#

% This is the RIPE Database query service.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% The RIPE Database is subject to Terms and Conditions.
% See http://www.ripe.net/db/support/db-terms-conditions.pdf

% Note: this output has been filtered.
% To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '188.143.232.0 - 188.143.232.255'

inetnum: 188.143.232.0 - 188.143.232.255
netname: LeonLundberg-net
descr: net for dedicated server client
admin-c: LL4959-RIPE
tech-c: LL4959-RIPE
mnt-by: MNT-PIN
source: RIPE # Filtered

person: Leon Lundberg
address: Liljerum Grenadjartorpet 71
address: 173 57 TOMTEBODA
phone: +467348510378
nic-hdl: LL4959-RIPE
mnt-by: MNT-PINSUPPORT

% Information related to '188.143.232.0/23as44050'

route: 188.143.232.0/23
descr: Route to PIN
origin: as44050
mnt-by: MNT-PIN

% This query was served by the RIPE Database Query Service version 1.60.2 (WHOIS1)

i will try and investigate more, and i know this threat is ever present, but just a quick heads up for everyone

So you are correct - it originates in Russia but from its inet description appears to be part of a pool of static IPs allocated to dedicated servers in Russia. That particular IP is not listening on any ports so quite likely an address that has been hijacked.

Jas

threedogs
17th May 2013, 02:22 PM
I get emails daily from Combank, NAB, Telstra all telling me to change my details'
Not a fairies fart chance in hell would I change my details.
Even had them from PayPal as well, First thing you need to ask why are they asking me to change my details.
Your answer should be to take my money, Your passwords etc login details are yours and yours alone, you DON'T share
these details with anyone, even wife or kids. ITS NOT THEIR BUSINESS

NissanGQ4.2
17th May 2013, 05:32 PM

Steve, It wasn't from Russia. I have fake IP addresses bouncing all over the place and it just picks a random IP addy each login attemp. Remember that Nissan Patrol screen saver................................. :smileyvault-cute-bi

mudnut
17th May 2013, 05:41 PM
I logged on here the other day and my password appeared as letters, not dots, so do you think I was hacked or not?

growler2058
17th May 2013, 05:42 PM
Steve, It wasn't from Russia. I have fake IP addresses bouncing all over the place and it just picks a random IP addy each login attemp. Remember that Nissan Patrol screen saver................................. :smileyvault-cute-bi

Bwahahahahahahhhahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

NissanGQ4.2
17th May 2013, 06:43 PM
I logged on here the other day and my password appeared as letters, not dots, so do you think I was hacked or not?

No mate, sometimes that just happens.