PDA

View Full Version : Fiskars products - greedy corporations

NP99
17th May 2013, 05:48 AM
Compare the Amazon price to retail in OZ!!! I like a few here purchased the Fiskars axe via online inc of postage from O/S far cheaper than retail here.

We as consumers are victims of greed and have been conditioned to accept this as normal.

Thankfully we have the Internet to help in the fight against corporate greed!

growler2058
17th May 2013, 05:59 AM
Thankfully I had 4wdTV who recognized the awesomeness of a GQ Patrol and did a members ride on mine and I gat a Fiskars axe in my goodie bag ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Winnie
17th May 2013, 06:24 AM
Thankfully I had 4wdTV who recognized the awesomeness of a GQ Patrol and did a members ride on mine and I gat a Fiskars axe in my goodie bag ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Wouldn't have happened if you drove a GU mate! All the power to ya!

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

NP99
17th May 2013, 06:29 AM
Wouldn't have happened if you drove a GU mate! All the power to ya!

Correct, they give chainsaws to the GU owners!

Winnie
17th May 2013, 06:31 AM
GQ owners are so strong we don't need chainsaws.... HAHAHAH let's not start that again though

threedogs
17th May 2013, 08:44 AM
Yeah I paid $55 AU for the x25 or X27 splitter/axe delivered to my door, from USA
Bunnings had them on special for $120 der.
Then I brought the x7 hatchett, about $25 from USA as well
couldn't even find a seller only shops were in Tassie [timber country}
And don't start me on Milwaukee power tools, steam coming out now simmer TD simmer
I use Ebay,BTW
Never got AXE from "your rig" but a great bag

Sir Roofy
17th May 2013, 09:02 AM
yeah i paid $55 au for the x25 or x27 splitter/axe delivered to my door, from usa
bunnings had them on special for $120 der.
Then i brought the x7 hatchett, about $25 from usa as well
couldn't even find a seller only shops were in tassie [timber country}
and don't start me on milwaukee power tools, steam coming out now simmer td simmer
i use ebay,btw
never got axe from "your rig" but a great bag

bunnings need some compertision they charge what they like the service if you can find a sales person is none existing
and who would pay $120 for an axe thats imported i just use my chainsaw and a splitter the axe is used for kindling these days

threedogs
17th May 2013, 09:11 AM
Awesome for splitting logs, Big Rig got one even cheaper again last year on Gumtree.
I brought a sthil copy 72cc chainsaw on auction for $160, fitted a shorter bar and chain
never failed me yet.
@ Roofy wheres the competition going to come from we have grown up thinking this is the norm ,sad hey

Sir Roofy
17th May 2013, 10:00 AM
awesome for splitting logs, big rig got one even cheaper again last year on gumtree.
I brought a sthil copy 72cc chainsaw on auction for $160, fitted a shorter bar and chain
never failed me yet.
@ roofy wheres the competition going to come from we have grown up thinking this is the norm ,sad hey

thats the problem mate bunnings coles woolies and other big companys are pulling this great country to its knees
for greed and killed off the little hardware and corner shops,and the goverment is that far in debt,just tax the banks on there sickening profits thats just plain wrong,hopefully some one will see the light and get a fresh idea and try to pull it all together
for the better

threedogs
17th May 2013, 11:23 AM
Little off thread but getting milk the other day in Safeways
young bloke next to me reading label, My milk had label on it saying permeate free
DER not supposed to be in milk anyway, could put anything there like rubber free WTF.

You say the little hardware shop around the corner, i've found that shop. Its trapped in a
time warp ,Still sells slotted black wood screws, 10kg anvils $85 30KG anvils $130. This hardware shop is awesome,
never been cleaned if it has a spare hook the owner will hang something on it.
Can't wait to visit it again for a decent look around this time. Will take pic as you talk clutter this shop has it in spades. lol

Cuppa
17th May 2013, 12:09 PM
thats the problem mate bunnings coles woolies and other big companys are pulling this great country to its knees
for greed and killed off the little hardware and corner shops,

It really is a shame that we've lost most of the little, locally owned shops where personal service & advice was the name of the game.
Sure Coles, Woolies etc (Wesfarmers) have a lot to do with it, but those who are really to blame are ....... us, or at least most of us.
We whinge & moan about these big companies but most of us still buy on price, so we end up patronising these big companies until we are left with only those companies to buy from. I'm just as guilty as most folk on this. Would I prefer to return to the days when I could walk into a small store, owned by the bloke behind the counter, who had a thorough knowledge of the products he sold. You betcha. Today you walk into a supermarket to be faced with crazy amounts of choice, who needs 101 different types of milk to choose from? All with it's different marketing costs. Just last night on the telly was a piece about a 'supermarket laboratory' in Sydney, where the eye movement of buyers could be tracked so that sellers could suss out which packaging was most effective! Who pays for that?! Me I'd rather just buy milk (for example) without any need to make complex decisions that are only made necessary by marketers. Or better still if there is choice, to base my decision on informed advice from the person who has chosen to stock what he/she considers best value for his/her customers...... on the basis that if he/she does the right thing by the customer it will build a loyal customer base & ensure the business's viability.

But I'm a hypocrite like many, 'cos I sit at home & buy off ebay all too often.

For our 'grocery shopping' this generally get left to my wife who goes into town during the week. Whenever I've suggested that she avoid buying from the big supermarkets her response is always the same. She does it not just on price, but on convenience. To have to go from small shop to small shop looking for what you need takes far longer than whizzing around a supermarket, & her time is limited.

Seems the days of having time to stop & chat with the shopkeeper, who has greeted you by name when you entered the shop, are largely gone. A few shops like this do still exist & I thoroughly enjoy my visits to them.

Cuppa

threedogs
17th May 2013, 12:23 PM
The days of sitting a bowl of cornflakes under the cow for full cream milk { think a lot may not have tried it straight from the udder}
pick the hairs out later are well and truley gone,.
2" of cream on top of milk, they were the days my friends,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sir Roofy
17th May 2013, 12:41 PM
It really is a shame that we've lost most of the little, locally owned shops where personal service & advice was the name of the game.
Sure Coles, Woolies etc (Wesfarmers) have a lot to do with it, but those who are really to blame are ....... us, or at least most of us.
We whinge & moan about these big companies but most of us still buy on price, so we end up patronising these big companies until we are left with only those companies to buy from. I'm just as guilty as most folk on this. Would I prefer to return to the days when I could walk into a small store, owned by the bloke behind the counter, who had a thorough knowledge of the products he sold. You betcha. Today you walk into a supermarket to be faced with crazy amounts of choice, who needs 101 different types of milk to choose from? All with it's different marketing costs. Just last night on the telly was a piece about a 'supermarket laboratory' in Sydney, where the eye movement of buyers could be tracked so that sellers could suss out which packaging was most effective! Who pays for that?! Me I'd rather just buy milk (for example) without any need to make complex decisions that are only made necessary by marketers. Or better still if there is choice, to base my decision on informed advice from the person who has chosen to stock what he/she considers best value for his/her customers...... on the basis that if he/she does the right thing by the customer it will build a loyal customer base & ensure the business's viability.

But I'm a hypocrite like many, 'cos I sit at home & buy off ebay all too often.

For our 'grocery shopping' this generally get left to my wife who goes into town during the week. Whenever I've suggested that she avoid buying from the big supermarkets her response is always the same. She does it not just on price, but on convenience. To have to go from small shop to small shop looking for what you need takes far longer than whizzing around a supermarket, & her time is limited.

Seems the days of having time to stop & chat with the shopkeeper, who has greeted you by name when you entered the shop, are largely gone. A few shops like this do still exist & I thoroughly enjoy my visits to them.

Cuppa

well written cuppa im sure that's the feeling that as you say folk miss the most is the personal touch
of a well informed assistant and corner store

Sir Roofy
17th May 2013, 12:45 PM
the days of sitting a bowl of cornflakes under the cow for full cream milk { think a lot may not have tried it straight from the udder}
pick the hairs out later are well and truley gone,.
2" of cream on top of milk, they were the days my friends,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

good one threedogs i remember dad asking if we wanted a drink of milk during milking time
he,d sqwirt it straight from the teat into our mouth couldnt get any fresher than that

NP99
17th May 2013, 12:47 PM
good one threedogs i remember dad asking if we wanted a drink of milk during milking time
he,d sqwirt it straight from the teat into our mouth couldnt get any fresher than that

So many smart arse replies to that, :)

threedogs
17th May 2013, 02:08 PM
Not sure if cornflakes more likely porridge, My uncle had huge parcel of land down Kilcunda way and some more on the way to Phillip Island.
Thats when mushrooms were minimum 6" diameter, and sadly the odd hair in home made ice cream was real

DX grunt
17th May 2013, 02:44 PM
I pay $6 for a 3lt plastic bottle of milk

threedogs
17th May 2013, 03:31 PM
Local milkbar charge $4.50 for 2ltr of milk.
I thought by law that staples, being bread
and milk had to remain the same as supermarkets ?

Would think Caravan parks would charge heaps too

mudnut
17th May 2013, 05:26 PM
It may be good for the individual, and I have bought some stuff on the net, but my town has had four major retail and service outlets close this financial year. The local bearing and engineer supplier has just shut its doors. I was talking to the owner and he was saying that some major wholesalers were under cutting him on the net. Now have I have to do a 200k round trip to get parts that are impossible to check for sizing and suitabilty. The small engine mech said his line of work is dying off because of throw away cheap crap. Buy a crap mower for a couple of hundred, if you get more than two seasons out of it, you're still ahead.