PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 upgrades?

Teamdjbilo
16th May 2013, 11:19 PM
Hi all

So have been reading lots and lots on here which is great thought I would throw a post in regards to anything I may have missed!.

Here goes

2002 GU patrol zd30 about 290000 on the clock.

So replaced the intercooler with tig welded one (the other had a leak) and have since blocked the egr also cleaned the MAF sensor(man it was dirty)
Have seen some definite better performance since doing these 3 things also have a boost controller, boost gauge, egt gauge and oil catch can to come.

I am going to get a snorkel for it but not sure if I wanna spend the $600 for a safari one and get this installed of go the $145 from eBay for a knock off version and do this myself. I guess because I am afraid of how to rust protect the car after cutting a hole. Also have been told the knock of versions don't do a good job as the safari ones. They don't keep the water out and the joins after about 12 months fail and perish in the sun?

I have the gear and will be doing an oil change once installed the oil catch can boost controller ect to assure best performance when installed.

I wouldn't mind hearing anyone's thoughts of anything else that maybe good to do keeping in mind I trying to spend money but need to do something with no job at current (yes spending my redundancy package on my car what could be better?)

Thanks Simon

SupRob
17th May 2013, 08:28 AM
Nice, intercooler is a good upgrade, iv spent to much on the car lately,

I would suggest getting a TJM or ARB snorkel as the cheap and nasty ones are cheap and nasty :P,

Just wait and shop around I got a great price on mine for a cash deal :P
Installed it myself, cursed alot but its on and saved me $170 on it being installed.

Made a massive difference as the stock intake through the guard is rubbish.

Very lucky, I cant afford not to work anymore, miss having all the time in the world :(

Rob,

threedogs
17th May 2013, 08:33 AM
X 2 on the snorkel the cheap ones are hit and miss ,Templates are not scaled correctly finish to bodywork hit and miss.
Not 100% about uv stabilization, Buy a brand name full Aust wide warranty in the event something goes wrong

Sir Roofy
17th May 2013, 08:49 AM
Once you get the catch can on you,ll also notice a big difference
the motor will run free,er

threedogs
17th May 2013, 08:56 AM
Next I'd be fitting an EGT and Boost guage to monitor all your mods.
You'll need a needle valve from Dependable Distributors in Adel if your fitting
Full NADs kit.
A chip an exhaust can see gains of up to 30%, and when its all fitted got get it Dynoed
New vendor here Rods shop Exhaust when your ready, only heard good reports

Use nissan touch up paint with brush like nail polish to treat hole for snorkel

Teamdjbilo
20th May 2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks all. Just spent the last few days jet setting around the country to get work. Before I left tho I did get my egt gauge installed and put my boost garage in all tho the boost gauge is going in the vac part not the psi so I think I have it set up wrong!..

Will keep looking and work it out.

Simon

mudski
20th May 2013, 07:39 PM
Yes you have it wrong. Your boost gauge needs to in the boost side, not the vac side. Anywhere after the turbo and before the inlet manifold you can put it. You will need to get a fitting welded in though for the boost. I got two put in on my setup on the first steel pipe just after the intercooler. One for the boost gauge and another for the Dawes valve. In hindsight I could have put in just one port and tee it off but its less likely to break this way.

Mikees
10th July 2013, 02:45 AM
If you've got heaps of electrical accessories a second earth is a cheap addition to keep everything running at its peak. My cruise control wouldn't work consistently with the air conditioning on before the second earth went on. Wasn't great for the Central Australia trip.

threedogs
10th July 2013, 11:44 AM
Where you up to on mods ,like are your EGTs lower now,
getting a snorkel fitted myself in next few days, I went the TJM
one. Looking forward to see how it performs. Steer clear of cheap snorkels
that's all they are cheap and cheap for a reason.

Teamdjbilo
12th July 2013, 08:52 PM
Blocked egr
Installed egt
Installed boost

Been monitoring this lately to see if I need Dawes ect.

Max 12psi at any given time.
About 3-4 hundred temp except when towing a trailer it went to 500 these are not constant figures just the max from what I seen!.

Still have oil catch can to install and when I do that will do a full oil change and new oil filter!.

Limmy
12th July 2013, 09:14 PM
I only recently installed dawes and needle valve. ( blocked egr ) . better boost curve . no lagging . you can get all these parts off Mudski . It took a while to fiddle with , but once it was set it was great . definitely peace of mind .

turbo timer if you haven't already done. I've owned a few turbo cars in my time . always had turbo timers to cool the turbo. ebay sells the BOGAARD ones specifically made for zd30 . Was literally plug n play . installed it in 10 mins @ around $230 was worth it

I helped a mate install his snorkel on his GU 4500 the other week . Just make sure you don't have to go any where in a rush . It took a couple of hours to do . He bought Genuine Nissan one. It was quite average quality I reckon . We had to cut a hole in the qtr panel and the middle guard which is connected to the engine bay . The instructions never indicated that. It did look good after completion
Things handy to have : - Dremel , Touch up paint pen for bare metal. .If it is 200 bux to install it , I would pay to have it done . I don't have the patience to stuff around with it . One of those things to be done properly ONCE

Teamdjbilo
13th July 2013, 09:17 AM
I only recently installed dawes and needle valve. ( blocked egr ) . better boost curve . no lagging . you can get all these parts off Mudski . It took a while to fiddle with , but once it was set it was great . definitely peace of mind .

turbo timer if you haven't already done. I've owned a few turbo cars in my time . always had turbo timers to cool the turbo. ebay sells the BOGAARD ones specifically made for zd30 . Was literally plug n play . installed it in 10 mins @ around $230 was worth it

I helped a mate install his snorkel on his GU 4500 the other week . Just make sure you don't have to go any where in a rush . It took a couple of hours to do . He bought Genuine Nissan one. It was quite average quality I reckon . We had to cut a hole in the qtr panel and the middle guard which is connected to the engine bay . The instructions never indicated that. It did look good after completion
Things handy to have : - Dremel , Touch up paint pen for bare metal. .If it is 200 bux to install it , I would pay to have it done . I don't have the patience to stuff around with it . One of those things to be done properly ONCE

Thanks limmy

Turbo timer is already on the car and even the wiring for a 2nd battery (previous owner took it out)

Yeah was looking at the Dawes ect but do you need it if its running 12psi already? As the max is like 14-16 I remember reading so 12 should be sweet right?

Limmy
13th July 2013, 10:00 AM
Dawes is to set the max boost . Let say yours is set to 15. it'll never go over 15psi . Boost limiter
Think of dawes as a credit card limit for the misses. without dawes - it is unlimited credit card . your misses probably won't spend over board , but shes definitely capable to go over limit. And if she does go over board , we are in deep sh_t pulling out more money. Put the DAWES aka credit limiter on . Just to be on safe side hahaha

The first day i installed dawes without the egr block and needlevalve . still relying on original boost controller ( as per chaz yellowfoot instructions ) . Wasn't much difference in drive .

next few days i installed egr block and needle valve . noticeable difference , just had to tune it properly . after a few days and help from the forum members, it was set perfectly. no lag , good low EGTs , constant boost , faster spool , never over 15psi

If you are going to do one preventative mod NADS . might aswell do the other . You don't want something to happen then go back and think " I should've done that ". Most expensive part of the whole nads is the Gauges and probably catch can + fittings.
from reading , dawes is probably one of the most important mods for nads.
worst comes to worst , if you don't like it or don't think you need it . you could probably sell it and get your full money back.

threedogs
13th July 2013, 11:50 AM
X 2 with above, You need to take the thinking away from the ECU via the DAWES valve [Manual boost controller]
once set just forget, monitor your driving via your gauges, A must do mod for any ZD30 Direct injection motor IMO