View Full Version : Power supply for UHF.

Cuppa
15th May 2013, 05:45 PM
I'm fitting a cb radio to my GU, in the dash underneath the radio. Is there a best place to connect it's power leads to?

Cuppa

Bloodyaussie
15th May 2013, 05:48 PM
The battery mate...!!!!!

MudRunnerTD
15th May 2013, 05:53 PM
The battery mate...!!!!!

what he said.

nothing worse than having to put the keys in the ignition to use your UHF, or leaving the ignition on when in camp just so you can monitor the radio.

mudski
15th May 2013, 05:54 PM
The battery mate...!!!!!
No to a couple of bits of carpet and rub them together to create your own power! :) Just to the Aux battery if you wish cups. Even the main battery, it ain't gonna drain either in a hurry.

threedogs
15th May 2013, 05:58 PM
Wire it hot{direct} to one of your Spare AUX batteries, Fuse at battery end on pos,
Can then be left on and used as a home base if for some reason you go for a wander away from car taking a handheld

Cuppa
15th May 2013, 06:05 PM
Having spent a fair bit of stuffing around to get the antenna co-ax lead fom the bullbar to the radio I was kinda hoping not to have to find a spot on the drivers side to go through the fire wall. It's pretty crowded under the bonnet on the battery side & the positive terminal on the battery is also pretty loaded up. My thinking was that being a 5w unit it should only draw less than half an amp (although I'm not certain if the 5w refers to output and that it may actually draw more than that - fuse is 3a). I would have thought there would be a suitable spot to connect the positive to inside the cab? Maybe the fuse block - is that live without ignition on?

The aux batteries are all in the pod, so that ain't gonna happen.

Cuppa

Bloodyaussie
15th May 2013, 06:12 PM
I use to have a ciggy plug in my Rodeo as I wanted to be able to just pull it ou when I wanted to and that was in there for years!!!!

threedogs
15th May 2013, 06:16 PM
Is there a large rubber flange thingy on the rear of cabin???
Other than that in front of passenger in footwell
Get the multi meter out and find a live wire with ignit off and on depending how
you want to have it.
I prefer not wired to ignition As all I want that battery to do is start motor.
You know what I mean, plus no biggy to turn on /off manually,

TPC
15th May 2013, 08:29 PM
Having spent a fair bit of stuffing around to get the antenna co-ax lead fom the bullbar to the radio I was kinda hoping not to have to find a spot on the drivers side to go through the fire wall. It's pretty crowded under the bonnet on the battery side & the positive terminal on the battery is also pretty loaded up. My thinking was that being a 5w unit it should only draw less than half an amp (although I'm not certain if the 5w refers to output and that it may actually draw more than that - fuse is 3a). I would have thought there would be a suitable spot to connect the positive to inside the cab? Maybe the fuse block - is that live without ignition on?

The aux batteries are all in the pod, so that ain't gonna happen.

Cuppa
The 5W refers to the RF power output not the power consumption, the current draw is probably around 2A.
I always think it is best to go to the battery to reduce voltage drop as that will reduce power output.
Going to the battery also reduces the chances of getting interference from something else in the car.

trekster
16th May 2013, 09:22 PM
I have mine hard wired, makes it easier to forget to turn it off :D

Lancec2626
20th June 2013, 08:00 PM
Hard wire it mate...! you must have a constant 12v supply behind the dash you can tap into. If you remove the shroud under the steering wheel you may find a spare factory plug... it will have constant 12v. Depends on what year your GQ is. Mine is 97 ST and it has one.

Cuppa
20th June 2013, 08:40 PM
Hard wire it mate...! you must have a constant 12v supply behind the dash you can tap into. If you remove the shroud under the steering wheel you may find a spare factory plug... it will have constant 12v. Depends on what year your GQ is. Mine is 97 ST and it has one.

Hi Lance,
it's all done now thanks. It's an ex telstra GU & I did hard wire it, direct to the battery with an inline fuse holder on top of the battery. in your other post about the switch, thanks again, I found a taped up Telstra cable coiled up behind the dash with a 12v supply (positive & negative) independent of the ignition so used that.

Cuppa

The BigFella
21st June 2013, 01:45 PM
AWESOME, wired for sound,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

mudnut
21st June 2013, 02:17 PM
Have you had the SWR checked on the antenna? I used to check it on AM radios, because it was critical. I installed my Uniden FM without doing it, but since then, I have been advised to do it, to get maximum output and range.

Cuppa
22nd June 2013, 01:21 PM
Have you had the SWR checked on the antenna? I used to check it on AM radios, because it was critical. I installed my Uniden FM without doing it, but since then, I have been advised to do it, to get maximum output and range.

That may be something I'll have to wait until someone who knows what to do visits!

88GQwithlift
29th June 2013, 11:09 AM
just hook it up off radio accessorys circuit...